Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 08:41 AM

943 posts, read 3,159,211 times

Advertisements

I like to read the Date Lab article in the Sunday Washington Post Magazine. This is a regular article where they set up two compatible sounding singles on a blind date, pay for their expenses, and then have each person describe the experience.

Here is a link from last weeks article:

Date Lab - washingtonpost.com

In most cases the participants have a pleasant enough time meeting and carry on a civil conversation but there is no sparks. Not once have the Date Lab participants ever become a loving couple.

I think it is similar to the situation facing most people when they date. Pleasant enough conversation and exchange of ideas but just no chemistry. It is just so hard to find that chemistry and connection now days. It could take years. But then people like my brother in law have been married five times. So finding love, even if it does not last, must be possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 09:33 AM

78,339 posts, read 60,539,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
I like to read the Date Lab article in the Sunday Washington Post Magazine. This is a regular article where they set up two compatible sounding singles on a blind date, pay for their expenses, and then have each person describe the experience.

Here is a link from last weeks article:

Date Lab - washingtonpost.com

In most cases the participants have a pleasant enough time meeting and carry on a civil conversation but there is no sparks. Not once have the Date Lab participants ever become a loving couple.

I think it is similar to the situation facing most people when they date. Pleasant enough conversation and exchange of ideas but just no chemistry. It is just so hard to find that chemistry and connection now days. It could take years. But then people like my brother in law have been married five times. So finding love, even if it does not last, must be possible.
I think sometimes people are just in too big of a hurry. They go into the date looking for things to reject the other person instead of getting to know them.

Yep, her butt is a little big or I don't like the laugh or he is 2 inches shorter than they prefer and drives a truck instead of a sedan blah blah blah.

What ever happened to getting to know someone?

Plus, it's public so it's pretty artificial. I know that I had one HOT first date last year that would have been far less "sparky" if I'd had to report on it. (no it didn't end up in bed).

Old 05-20-2009, 10:11 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,637,297 times
That kind of failure rate just tells me the people doing the setups need to reevaluate their methods.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:57 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,934,465 times
Yes. They need to pair people that have things in common. Then prepare each person for the blind date with a one hour class on dating or some online course. Blind dates can be very nerve wracking and awkward. So each person is not really him or herself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
That kind of failure rate just tells me the people doing the setups need to reevaluate their methods.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:30 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,852,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Yes. They need to pair people that have things in common. Then prepare each person for the blind date with a one hour class on dating or some online course. Blind dates can be very nerve wracking and awkward. So each person is not really him or herself.
I would be a nervous wreck if my "date" were about to write up her experiences in the local newspaper. If they are not that "into you", they magnify even the slightest mistakes and could make you look foolish. It could be years living this down.

IMHO, the reason that most matchmaking doesn't work is that in many, if not most cases, they are trying to connect up a woman, who the matchmaker believes, "needs a good man" (often from vague comments over coffee at work, school etc.) with guys who aren't too committed to the institution and are therefore single.

Little goes into matching compatability and a lot into availability and finding a guy who is potentially a "good provider", since they are afraid of setting their female friend with a "dud". Since this is an attribute that women don't want to consider up front, things are doomed from the start.

Matchmaking and blind dates may have worked in the pre TV days but nobody needs a relationship leading to marriage anymore. They must want it.

Old 05-20-2009, 02:00 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,383,478 times
I don't necessarily consider the dates failures. I don't think a lot of people are going into this hoping to find someone to start a relationship. It seems to me that most of the people who sign up for this are looking for a fun night out, someone new to meet and talk to, and as a bonus maybe someone to go out with in the future.

I would be willing to guess that most first dates have a pretty high failure rate if you are basing it on how many first dates actually lead to a relationship.

Having read Date Lab religiously since it started, I would say they are pretty successful most of the time since both people seem to have fun.

Old 05-20-2009, 02:12 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,360,095 times
Can't test the chemistry. Enough said.

Old 05-20-2009, 05:39 PM

1,116 posts, read 2,962,416 times
Well maybe because that guy is a total jerk. If they're all like that, no wonder there are issues...

Old 05-20-2009, 06:59 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,139,890 times
Quote:
Very interesting! Reminds me of a show I used to like watching in the past - Singled Out; the host was Jenny McCarthy. There were these bubbles showing what people actually think on the date.

About this particular case: just looking at the picture I was pretty sure the guy isn't gonna go for her. However, there are things she did that stand out:

I wanted a glass of wine, but maybe Bryan didn't drink. I didn't want to be judged, so I settled with water. - altering yourself already for a stranger?!

I asked for his card. - insecurity/hunting

I took his arm, actually. - insecurity/hunting

he actually rode with me all the way to Metro Center, [three stops] out of his way - big effing deal! low self-esteem

Old 05-20-2009, 08:50 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,960,046 times
Quote:
How did they figure that these two sounded compatible? I'd never have matched them based on what their preferences were. Big surprise that it bombed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships