Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 02:14 PM

881 posts, read 1,112,710 times

Advertisements

Actually most of us have aspergers, so out in the world are the oddballs, but in a group together we are like a bunch of nerdy kids.... I find we talk more about the simple solutions to the problems in the world that people just don't listen too like susatainability etc.... we don't all just sit around wearing pocket protecters and snob out at ALL..... in fact most are insecure from being picked on or isolated a lot, so it is nice to actually fit in somewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 02:16 PM

881 posts, read 1,112,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I'm a reasonably smart guy, don't know if Mensa smart, never tried. Most of the people that I've met in my life that were really smart, just kind of seemed like dull people.

I know that is a generalization, but just seems to be my experience. To me comedy is much more important than a certain level of "intelligence"

Besides, to be funny you actually need to be smart, to come up with stuff and also to "get" it.

The funniest people ARE the smartest people... comedy RULES!

Old 09-13-2010, 02:52 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misswee View Post
The funniest people ARE the smartest people... comedy RULES!
I knew a man once who made the most dumba$$ jokes and I thought he had a low IQ. Then someone told me that he was working on his PhD and that really surprised me so I started to actually listen to his jokes and realized that they'd been going over my head all along. Now I never misunderesimate anyone's intelligence.

Old 09-13-2010, 04:08 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
I was invited to a couple of meetings, and went out of sheer curiosity.

You know what I thought? I thought the entire thing was just a bunch of puffery, a lot of socially retarded people standing around and saying, "Why, look how smart I am!" And, heck, if they turn off an elitist such as me, that's saying something. I'd rather hang out with people who know how to crack good jokes and have fun than some tweedy nerds who have both grooming problems and an overwhelming need to discuss how smart they are.

Old 09-13-2010, 04:50 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,594,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
Don't believe it. I've given probably over a thousand IQ tests and no ability test kit that I've ever used scores anywhere near that high. There was an old Stanford-Binet test kit (Form L?) that could be used for the upper extreme limits for IQ, but these are probably rare as hens' teeth. And then, of course, the norms are from the 1960's, so it's a little out of date.
I agree. I have done a lot of research regarding I. Q. tests and what I have found is that most tests do not have the capacity to test above 140. The older you are the less accurate the result is because life experience, and education help you score better. The only accurate tests are administered by a non biased person who is trained. A 180 is laughable considering Einstein was supposedly around 160. Mostly I think Mensa is a vanity achievement and if they are so smart why are they sitting around at silly meetings? Why not disprove Einstein or figure out cold fusion? Knowing how to apply intelligence is what I consider brilliance, not having the ability to score high on a meaningless test. Also keep in mind that I.Q. Tests were created to test children BELOW average intelligence to see if they needed special education! So I think the tests are helpful only to give you a baseline for determining education. My son took the test to qualify for the gifted and talented program in school. (You have to have a 130 to qualify.) He is definitely smart but I think there is so much more to intelligence than a test.

Old 09-13-2010, 05:00 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,594,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I was invited to a couple of meetings, and went out of sheer curiosity.

You know what I thought? I thought the entire thing was just a bunch of puffery, a lot of socially retarded people standing around and saying, "Why, look how smart I am!" And, heck, if they turn off an elitist such as me, that's saying something. I'd rather hang out with people who know how to crack good jokes and have fun than some tweedy nerds who have both grooming problems and an overwhelming need to discuss how smart they are.
LOL! Hopefully they will learn how to become more social.

Old 09-13-2010, 05:15 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,262,240 times
Mensa is a joke. Prometheus Society is where it is at.

Fact: A 30 point IQ differential means for a wall between communication abilities.

So to strive to be in any group like that just means that pretty much everyone out there, won't get you.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:32 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,204,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I knew a man once who made the most dumba$$ jokes and I thought he had a low IQ. Then someone told me that he was working on his PhD and that really surprised me so I started to actually listen to his jokes and realized that they'd been going over my head all along. Now I never misunderesimate anyone's intelligence.
Really good humor is like an onion. There is many layers and not many rotten eggs. But which came first, the chicken joke or Internet website?

Old 09-13-2010, 11:30 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,311,060 times
I would rather hang out with stupid people so I can seem smarter.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:48 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,855,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
I would rather hang out with stupid people so I can seem smarter.
People are rated by the company they keep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships