U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Keeping or Not Keeping maiden name
I kept (or would keep) my maiden name after marrying 38 42.22%
I took/would take my husband's surname, and did (or would) retain it after a divorce 23 25.56%
I did/would take my husband's surname, but did (or would) revert to my maiden name after a divorce 29 32.22%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 11:41 PM

1,416 posts, read 5,422,442 times

Advertisements

Just wondering what the general trend is nowadays....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 12:00 AM

25,906 posts, read 40,983,691 times
I took my husband's name. If we got divorced, I'd probably keep it so my children and I would have the same last name.

Old 05-25-2009, 12:04 AM

7 posts, read 11,875 times
ya I kept my ex's name so I could have the same name as my kids

Old 05-25-2009, 12:06 AM

19,056 posts, read 24,306,270 times
I kept my maiden name. I might take on my dh's name for family stuff if we have children. Professionally, I will always use my maiden name. My dh was interested in changing his name to mine, or for us to create a new name, but it's really hard for men to change their names in most states. That's sexist and unfair.

Old 05-25-2009, 12:09 AM

168 posts, read 514,312 times
I took my husbands' names both times I married. A few women at my kids' schools kept their maiden names but it can be confusing at times, especially for the little ones who are taught to call their classmates' mothers "Mrs. __________."

As for the trends these days, I actually read a magazine article a few months ago that said more and more men are opting to take their wives' last names when they get married. I wonder what people think about that!

Old 05-25-2009, 12:10 AM

19,056 posts, read 24,306,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paws917 View Post
I took my husbands' names both times I married. A few women at my kids' schools kept their maiden names but it can be confusing at times, especially for the little ones who are taught to call their classmates' mothers "Mrs. __________."

As for the trends these days, I actually read a magazine article a few months ago that said more and more men are opting to take their wives' last names when they get married. I wonder what people think about that!
We wanted to do that and my family just about had a heart attack; so stupid.

Old 05-25-2009, 12:14 AM

1,239 posts, read 2,381,011 times
When I get married, if my wife really wanted to keep her last name I wouldn't mind changing mine, it isn't that big of a deal to me but I would want mine to be the same as my spouses.

Old 05-25-2009, 12:14 AM

168 posts, read 514,312 times
Same thing with my BILs family. He wanted to take my SILs last name when they married and both sides of the family had a fit.

Old 05-25-2009, 12:16 AM

1,293 posts, read 3,082,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I kept my maiden name. I might take on my dh's name for family stuff if we have children. Professionally, I will always use my maiden name. My dh was interested in changing his name to mine, or for us to create a new name, but it's really hard for men to change their names in most states. That's sexist and unfair.
MA to my knowledge is the same as here, short form with a personal reason behind it that doesn't include evasion of some sort, short explanation before a judge. Done.

As a side note: It's a tradition for family unity, I don't consider it sexist to be more sided towards women changing theirs due to it, but I don't see it as a necessity for my SO change it either. Up to them. Just hope if she decides to she's not had a few during the form fill-out and changes her first name along with it "Supercalfraglisticexpealadoshus" along with the changed surname would be a pain to sign for each check and the like.

Old 05-25-2009, 12:16 AM

1,416 posts, read 5,422,442 times
Regarding the idea of retaining a husband's name after divorce solely or mainly to avoid having a different name than your children's: Isn't it becoming quite common nowadays for mothers and children to have different surnames? IMHO nobody seems to think it's unusual anymore.

And if the divorced mom remarries, does she not then end up having a different surname than her children from the previous husband(s) anyway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships