Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 05:06 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,028,320 times

Advertisements

I don't believe in capital punishment. But I am willing to make an exception for abusers, abusers of children even more so than abusers of women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2017, 05:17 PM

5,190 posts, read 5,332,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
I don't believe in capital punishment. But I am willing to make an exception for abusers, abusers of children even more so than abusers of women.
Wholeheartedly agree, on all counts. I have issues with the death penalty, but some people deserve to die.

Old 06-06-2017, 10:12 AM

2,362 posts, read 1,922,283 times
Men who hit women are scum...low life cowardly pieces of crap...period

However I have heard the term "abusive" used so often these days
hes psychologically abusive...hes sexually abusive, hes (LMFAO) financially abusive

often times it is what it sounds like, he IS abusive and manipulative...other times its bs...my wifes friend has told us her ex was verbally abusive...when pressed what it came down to is she was bossy and he didn't always do what she demanded...abusive???

I'm just careful with labels as these days they are thrown around haphazardly

Old 06-06-2017, 10:24 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,945,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
What they do need is therapy.
Therapy isn't going to help someone who is a compulsive liar (which is what the guy I mentioned is - he'll lie whenever lying will benefit him more than telling the truth would) unless and until they get to the point where they realize what they are doing is wrong, and are willing to do the work to change their behavior.

Old 06-06-2017, 11:10 AM

69 posts, read 47,044 times
well, i grew up with an extremely abusive mom physically, emotionaly, and sexually.

i have also allowed myself to enter abusive relationships. I think this happened because my dad would just ignore my mom's nastiness and things would go back to normal the next day. so that was the approach i took and never addressed their behavior and allowed myself to be abused and humiliated more or less

so i feel like i have a unique perspective.

for me,

1) any one who is outwardly mean/abusive to someone else for no reason, i completely despise. its a cruelty that i do not understand. and since i cant understand it, it seems like the worst behavior in the wordl to me. I can atleast understand the motivation of cheating/stealing/etc. but being cruel gains them nothing tangible.

2) Since i have been in abusive relationships, I do understand the difficulty women may encounter in trying to escape from them. Normally, it starts off like a honeymoon. Then they start getting mean, but manipulating you. and you kinda feel like youre ****ing up and waiting it out to go back to the honeymoon stage.

3) basically, it seems like abusive people arent just like that with their partners. they are just abusive. so, ive never kept a guy friend for long who acted this way and never really seem to make friends with people who would

Old 06-06-2017, 11:33 AM

5,190 posts, read 5,332,941 times
My father was abusive, but never towards my mother. I think he knew even though I was afraid of him, that if he had turned his anger on my mom or sisters, I would have ended him.

I have also been in relationships with women who could become abusive. Generally only verbally abusive, but there have been instances when it has become physical. Sheesh, I must sound like a magnet for this, or that I seek it out, but it's just worked out this way from time to time.

Still, though, men are clearly far more prone to be abusive than women.

What I've learned--not to excuse abusive behavior--is that it says everything about the abuser and nothing to do with the person on the receiving end. It took me a long time to realize it, but being abused doesn't mean there's really anything wrong or deficient about you.

Old 06-06-2017, 11:35 AM

358 posts, read 208,064 times
Men OR women who are abusive to their partner, bf/gf, wife or husband are all terrible people who likely learned this behavior as children. Gender of the victim shouldn't really play a role here.

Old 06-06-2017, 11:38 AM

358 posts, read 208,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
My father was abusive, but never towards my mother. I think he knew even though I was afraid of him, that if he had turned his anger on my mom or sisters, I would have ended him.

I have also been in relationships with women who could become abusive. Generally only verbally abusive, but there have been instances when it has become physical. Sheesh, I must sound like a magnet for this, or that I seek it out, but it's just worked out this way from time to time.

What I've learned--not to excuse abusive behavior--is that it says everything about the abuser and nothing to do with the person on the receiving end. It took me a long time to realize it, but being abused doesn't mean there's really anything wrong or deficient about you.
highest rate of abuse actually takes place in lesbian couple relationships. Men are also little over 40% of all DV victims and women instigate 70% of confrontations. This is not counting emotional abuse. DV and abuse ARE NOT gender specific issues. Just because mens pain is largely ignored by mainstream, doesn't mean there are no male vicitms of DV

Old 06-06-2017, 11:51 AM

69 posts, read 47,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post

so, since you have a similar background to me, you never felt that you got into those abusive relationshps due to lack of boundary setting or giving off a doormat vibe somehow?

i feel that way sometimes, even though due to my past with abusive relationships, I probably over compensate and act the opposite to avoid feeling like a doormat/wuss

Old 06-06-2017, 11:55 AM

8,781 posts, read 9,446,868 times
Not a fan of anyone who purposfully harms another against their will for pure personal benifit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships