Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 02:30 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
It isn't. Where did you get the idea that it was taboo?
I can be getting along with somebody great and then I'll invite them to go do something. They will then give me some wierd look like I just asked them on a date or something, and then I'll never hear from them again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 02:32 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I can be getting along with somebody great and then I'll invite them to go do something. They will then give me some wierd look like I just asked them on a date or something, and then I'll never hear from them again.
The devil is in the details, and I don't have many of those.

Are you doing this with total strangers?

For instance, I wouldn't ask my mechanic to go to the movies with me on a Saturday night, even if we got along great.

I'd feel comfortable calling an existing friend, though, and going to the movies.

These friendship things... must be taken one step at a time. I do see where you are coming from, now, a little better. If you're just going in cold, you may want to invite them to go kill an animal, cook an animal, smoke something, drink something, or play some type of sports, depending on what you're into. If you're into high culture, you may just be a fish out of water there, I don't know.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:40 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,959 times
Quote:

For instance, I wouldn't ask my mechanic to go to the movies with me on a Saturday night, even if we got along great.

I'd feel comfortable calling an existing friend, though, and going to the movies.

These friendship things... must be taken one step at a time.
Not total strangers, but maybe I don't know them as well as I probably should. It's kind of a catch 22 situation. I am not around people my age very often. When I am, I try to make the most of the situation and it could be I am trying to take things too fast and that's why they think I am gay.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:43 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decypher View Post
yeah I thought so. I would say that you should not hug any northern europeans at all, we are not like those faggy south euros(they are a bit of a disgrace for europe imo)
Interesting...one of the first gay people I ever knew was, in fact, from Sweden.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:44 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
Nice story rubber factory.

Culture differs in each area imo......

Quote:
I grew up in one of the most backwards, knuckle-dragging swaths of swampland in the US. Homosexuality is definitely taboo there, along with interracial dating, body piercing/tattoos, being a white democrat.. you get the idea.

The only things that set off the "We look gay" flags among hetero males that I know, is nonviolent, nonhumorous physical contact. You don't hold hands, you don't hug each other unless somebody died.. things like that.

Going out to eat with another guy, going to the movies with another guy, going to hang out at another guy's apartment... these are non-issues.

There's always the possibility that I'm underestimating the remoteness (and associated taboos) of Arkansas. I've only driven through, once, across the Ouachita Mountains in the middle of the night. Some of those areas are a slightly different breed of backwoods than I am used to.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:45 PM

2,751 posts, read 5,361,986 times
Quote:

The simple answer here, and please, I don't mean to point a finger at you or your acquaintances, but any man secure in his masculinity would have no problem going out to dinner alone with a male friend, even if that male friend happens to BE gay...

I once ate lunch with the same gay guy everyday for months because we were working on a project together and liked the same kind of food, had the same cynical take on a lot of things. So what? He was a good guy and he never made play one for me. Then again, I'm sure my sexual preference was pretty obvious given my reputation at the time. But even if he would have taken a shot at me, I would have laughed and told him he had the wrong number without being offended or angry, and would have had no problem with going out to eat lunch with him the very next day. Now if he would have kept it up, I'd have dropped him, fast.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:45 PM

Ha ha Sunil ...... you have a nice sense of humor ...good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
You're such a dude magnet.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:47 PM

Good point rubber.

The friendship needs to build trust and will slowly build to acceptance during that point of several weeks then you can see if they want to attend a movie or go out to eat somewhere or hang out and play video games....that's how I did it in college.

Also most people have a 6th sense on whom they wish to befriend. In college one of my best friends was a hick that was about 10 years older than I......we had the same classes together, same sense of humor, same points of views, it was awesome.....I tend to befriend people that are older and more mature .......it's nothing to be ashamed of at all........I'd rather have older friends that are accepting and fun to be around than friends my own age that are drama queens, catty, and two-faced.

Quote:

These friendship things... must be taken one step at a time. I do see where you are coming from, now, a little better. If you're just going in cold, you may want to invite them to go kill an animal, cook an animal, smoke something, drink something, or play some type of sports, depending on what you're into. If you're into high culture, you may just be a fish out of water there, I don't know.

Last edited by artsyguy; 05-27-2009 at 02:59 PM..

Old 05-27-2009, 02:53 PM

It might not be a gay issue.

Sounds like a maturity issue or social ineptitude on the people you are trying to befriend.

The other part is that it could be a 'you're coming on too fast and desperate and needy in wanting a friend'. In your situation it is perfectly understandable though........

Quote:
Not total strangers, but maybe I don't know them as well as I probably should. It's kind of a catch 22 situation. I am not around people my age very often. When I am, I try to make the most of the situation and it could be I am trying to take things too fast and that's why they think I am gay.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:57 PM

7,005 posts, read 21,328,631 times
Because
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships