Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 04:14 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,028,976 times

Advertisements

Along with all the other posts, I have to agree...PMS does exist! & yet for some reason, every month before it occurs--I do get extra libidinous--especially towards guys who are cocky, alpha-types w/ really nice bodies LOL! But yeah I also get cramps, splitting headaches, tender breasts, among tearful scenes too...it sux, but...that's the price you pay for being a girl & bringing babies into the world...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 04:21 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,171,134 times
Yeah, talk about libido...the day before I got it, I e-mailed my...shall we say..friend w/benefits, and asked him if he wanted to come over and have sex..he laughed, I said you think I'm kidding, but I'm not..he said I KNOW you're not. Unfortunately, he fell asleep when he got home and has been sick ever since so I never had my night...

Old 05-29-2009, 04:28 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,143,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
"There was never yet philosopher that could endure the toothache patiently." William Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing (how very apt a title).

There are hormonal changes that take place over a menstrual cycle that may -- and this is debatable -- be affecting a woman's moods. One reason why this is "debatable" is that there are other contributing factors. For one, there are the cramps, bloating, backache and headache associated with the beginning of one's menses. The symptoms range from mild discomfort to honest-to-goodness feeling sick; but the woman must still go about her day as if nothing is wrong. Anybody, male or female, would be irritable under those circumstances. Hygiene is another obvious issue; "that time of the month", particularly in warm climates, is when a woman must be especially fastidious and schedule her day around bathroom breaks, which, needless to say, adds to the stress. Another issue is weight gain due to water retention. It's not a lot, but if a particular woman gets on the scale every single morning, she'll see her weight inching up (and clothes feel tighter because of the bloating), so that's yet another source of stress.

For the most part, however, the effects of PMS are vastly overblown in the popular imagination. According to clinical studies (not available online, so feel free not to believe me), although over 80% of menstruating women experience some symptoms, only 2%-5% have symptoms significant enough to interfere with at least one aspect of everyday life (like, for example, interactions with one's SO). And so PMS is mostly exaggerated, by both men and women. When men do it, it's so they don't have to take women seriously (I once witnessed an argument in which a female lawyer in court was accused of being "on a red patch", even though she was obviously in her seventies and therefore post-menopausal); and when women do it, it's in order to have an excuse to act out. Either way, we are all subject to a myriad irritants every day. This is just one.
I agree, I think it is real & can be a nuisance, but people blow it out of proportion and use it as an excuse at times.

Let's not forget, men have hormonal fluctuations as well, but sans the physical part, so what's their excuse when they get cranky & difficult?

Old 05-29-2009, 04:33 PM

1,293 posts, read 3,189,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
I agree, I think it is real & can be a nuisance, but people blow it out of proportion and use it as an excuse at times.

Let's not forget, men have hormonal fluctuations as well, but sans the physical part, so what's their excuse when they get cranky & difficult?
Ya, the cycle thing that men supposedly had was disproven, but people's hormone and chemical levels are constantly fluctuating. Now, this is greatly exaggerated during a woman's period, but usually most woman's bodies compensate fairly fast if they're maintaining a healthy intake of food/vitamins.
Tends to get used a lot to excuse behavior that can be kept in check for the most part.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:01 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
fellas- any suggestions on how to deal? How to help your lady? Or do you just avoid it at all costs?
Just follow the advice on the picture!

Quote:
Thanks for the visual
It's funny- I have 6 sisters and none of them go through the PMS thing. They've told me they don't. So since it wasn't a thing at home, this is all new to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sueprnova View Post
When I was younger I had no issues at all...
Perhaps your sisters are young. I also didn't use to become a lunatic in the past.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:10 PM

458 posts, read 1,355,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onegreatnurse View Post
Or maybe, Belinda, I'll just take up drinking when it's on its way!!!
Ya know that just may work, maybe I will join you and we can see?

Old 05-29-2009, 11:05 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,315,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
Add to that a major back pain and, sometimes, diarrhea for 1-3 days. This happens every month, mind you. Now let's see how you feel if this happens to you.
Don't forget the migraines and the sore boobs. Between the migraines, the sore boobs, the back pain, the cramps, and the diarrhea, I pretty much just mainline Advil (and red wine) and try to lie low as much as possible. Work is unavoidable, of course, but if I don't have to be at work, I'm generally in bed, asleep. ....when I'm not sitting on the toilet with a basin my lap because of the pain-induced nausea, of course.

And the icing on the cake is that I don't get horny BEFORE my period. Oh, no. THAT would be awesome, if that were the case. But instead, I get horny DURING my period. Which does me NO good whatsoever.

The upshot, I suppose, is that I really don't get grouchy. I have no idea why not. I'm just more likely to get pitiful than temperamental or psycho.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:51 PM

1,293 posts, read 3,189,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybergin View Post
Don't forget the migraines and the sore boobs. Between the migraines, the sore boobs, the back pain, the cramps, and the diarrhea, I pretty much just mainline Advil (and red wine) and try to lie low as much as possible. Work is unavoidable, of course, but if I don't have to be at work, I'm generally in bed, asleep. ....when I'm not sitting on the toilet with a basin my lap because of the pain-induced nausea, of course.

And the icing on the cake is that I don't get horny BEFORE my period. Oh, no. THAT would be awesome, if that were the case. But instead, I get horny DURING my period. Which does me NO good whatsoever.

The upshot, I suppose, is that I really don't get grouchy. I have no idea why not. I'm just more likely to get pitiful than temperamental or psycho.
The one LTR I had, she used to get it fairly bad in my view, nothing like described here though. She'd get cramps, and sometimes a headache, but she never got snippy or otherwise nasty with me do to it, and usually after noting it herself, a few pills and she was good to go physically in an hour or so. When it was noted I would see things affect her mood more easily though, easier to laugh, cry and wished extra attention, none of which was a biggie to me.

Old 05-30-2009, 12:23 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Quote:
Thanks for the visual
It's funny- I have 6 sisters and none of them go through the PMS thing. They've told me they don't. So since it wasn't a thing at home, this is all new to me.
That's why it's individual. Different people, different bodies, different levels of hormones, different reactions, different body chemistry. Some women don't have issues at all, some women cramp badly, some don't, some suffer skin blemish increases from extra hormones, some don't, some retain water (hence the sore boobs), some don't, some have heavy periods, some have light periods...it's all very specific to the individual, just like anything else health-associated.

Old 05-30-2009, 12:38 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,429,514 times
Well, I have a temper. People say I have a terrible temper. So when I am about 3 days from getting my period, I alternate between wanting to kill myself and looking for someone to kill me. Then a few hours before I get it, I get so tired, that staying awake would not be an option if i was about to get runned over by a train. Once I sleep it off, when I awake the flow has usually began. If I am lucky, I will have fended off the cramps with caffeine. If i am not, it will hurt so bad, I will literally cry in my bed hoping to die. Then hours pass. Sometimes 2 hours, sometimes 4. The pain will have subsided. I will go into the bathroom, change my tampon, and lounge around. Sometimes, I will feel blissful. The calm after the storm. Peace.

Now, I just have to eat properly, keep drinking coffee every day, and exercise on the 2nd day. Exercise calms me. The rest of the time I alternate between going to the bathroom and changing the tampon, or sitting gently on the couch waiting for it to pass. Then it passes.

Oh, and at night, I switch to pads, cus I dont want to get TSS. Pads are a little messy if the flow is too heavy. So I have to watch for any leaks. Sometimes looking at all the red stuff makes me feel like crying. Its a little too real. So its a relief when its finally over. Till next month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships