Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 11:04 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,898,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
It's probably true. We just don't associate with the type of catty bimbos some men go for.
I always figure it's a sign of insecurity when I come across it and I think with a lot of women it's probably nurtured by their fella for his own benefit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 11:29 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,175,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
I would say that between the ages of 13 and 40, there are no crueler creatures on earth than women....
That's consistent with the research, which suggests that women may be prone to being especially "mean" soon after they reach puberty and when they are are (biologically speaking) in the initial mate seeking period. The "meanness" may be largely absent in the later years of life when the mate-seeking interest declines significantly or is absent altogether.

Old 05-31-2009, 11:51 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,853,391 times
Quote:
I wonder why this urban legend is so popular among men. I haven't witnessed such behavior much in my life, if any...
Perhaps you were lucky. I know many women who found their teen years to be misery due to this. I suppose this doesn't happen to the most desirable girls. They are too busy with the HS quarterback to care about what is said about them!

Of course, this can't hold a candle to the actual physical violence and intimidation that most young males encounter and need to avoid while in school. This is the primary reason why, as a group, their academic achievement is in free fall.

Old 05-31-2009, 11:57 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,139,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotARedneck View Post
Perhaps you were lucky. I know many women who found their teen years to be misery due to this. I suppose this doesn't happen to the most desirable girls. They are too busy with the HS quarterback to care about what is said about them!
Well, I didn't grow up in this country. I'm aware a lot of people here consider their high-school years misery. Mine were not.

Old 06-01-2009, 12:00 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,547,566 times
Why are people mean at all? Be it a man or women? I've met some men that give the word new meaning. In general meanies are usually self absorbed people with ego issues.

Old 06-01-2009, 12:16 AM

670 posts, read 2,114,086 times
I grew up in a family with three sisters and there was always a camaderie between the females in my house so it was a big shock to me later to have to deal with girls and then women who could be cruel, competitive and bitchy.

And the whole husband-stealing scenario makes me laugh. Seriously, why would I, as a single female, be interested in someone else's husband? The other day I was in the park walking the dog and ran into another dogwalker, a male, and we started chatting about the dogs. About 20 yards away, his wife/girlfriend spotted us and came "sprinting" over to give me the "evil eye" while smiling sweetly, grabbing his arm and telling her guy meaningfully, "It's time to go honey or we're going to be late." Then she turned to me and said, "He doesn't have time to talk now. Bye." I completely ignored her not so subtle unfriendliness and just told him that it was nice talking to him and walked my dog away from them. Now really, was that necessary?

Luckily, I don't run into too many women who are like this, but when I do, it's both ridiculous and amusing. And there are men that do this too. I had a BF once who practically lifted me out of a hotel jacuzzi when another male guest got in and started talking to me.

Old 06-01-2009, 01:16 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,898,300 times
Quote:
Well, I didn't grow up in this country. I'm aware a lot of people here consider their high-school years misery. Mine were not.
Mine were and weren't but I suspect that I didn't have your average secondary school education in that for the first 3 years of high school I was one of 25 girls that were the first intake into a school of 850 boys as the school went through the process of becoming co-educational.

I was at much more danger from the boys than I ever was the girls (we girls stuck together, AND cultivated friendships with "safe" boys for protection) and it wasn't unusual for many of them to sexually assault or be physically violent along with a divided teaching staff, many of whom made it known they did not want girls in the school.

After 3 years of that war zone I ended up at a co-ed high school in the country where I had to re-learn how to communicate because many of the girls did not like it if you were casual and at ease amongst the boys and took it as a sign you were easy (as did some of the boys and teachers).

I still consider myelf very lucky now, despite the negatives of those times, that I had the opportunity to experience some of it because it's been a good grounding in how to deal with people in general throughout life.

Old 06-01-2009, 01:23 AM

4,978 posts, read 9,511,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
ROFL, I DID say something like that to a she-devil who was in a dither because I was chatting with her husband at a reception, in the food line. My reaction went something like this: "Look, lady, I'm 150 percent heterosexual but if I had to choose between your husband and becoming a lesbian, I'd become a lesbian." That put it into perspective for her!

Beetchy women, especially the smug marrieds, are a huge pain. And they start young -- when I was a high school teacher, we had FAR more physical fights between the girls than we did the boys. Plus, the girls were forever forming their stupid little cliques and being cruel to the girls on the outside of them. I'd teach at an all-boys school any day! But I can't even imagine teaching at an all-girls school -- it would be sheer hell.
Good one. It's too bad they have to hear the truth so they stop their smugness.
To them, being married is a status symbol and the guy is just along for the ride.

Old 06-01-2009, 02:03 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,643,401 times
Quote:
I wonder why this urban legend is so popular among men. I haven't witnessed such behavior much in my life, if any...
I've seen it. "Would you look at what she's wearing? What a tramp!" Why the need to belittle other people behind their backs? Why have catfights? (Maybe the alcohol, I don't know.)

Old 06-01-2009, 06:46 AM

496 posts, read 940,879 times
Default Interesting...

I often think that there is a thin line ideologically between some strains of feminism and outright misogyny. For example, in a Feminist Theory class I took in college, we briefly discussed the book _Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom_. I have found the book to be very empowering for women I knew, and there is one quote that discusses breast implants and encourages a woman to make sure she is doing it for 'the right reasons' before actually doing it. My feminist professor brought this up as an example and said, "...as if you could be getting breast implants for yourself." To which I replied, "Well, it depends on your motivation for supporting women... whether you want to support them as they are and for what they want or you want to change them and change what they want." I think, to truly be a feminist (in the sense that you love women rather than hate what they have come to be, whether inherently or through social construction), you have to support that women can be whatever they want, regardless of whether you agree with it. I do see some woman to woman resentment and jealousy. What saddens me is women who need to compete with other women (and play games with men) because they are always positioned to compare themselves, rather than enjoy themselves. Anything that detracts from self-appreciation, I think, is toxic for a person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships