Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 09:05 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 19,970,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynec613 View Post
Isn't this a song by cheap trick?
Do you think he's looking for a hole in the wall he can fill for her?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 09:05 AM

28,883 posts, read 30,160,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
I don't know why I was afraid to ask for clarification on this--maybe because I was afraid of what his answer would be--but what do suppose a man means, specifically, when he says, "I need you to need me"? How do you separate that from being needy?
maybe he is intimidated by your independence and confidence. Whyte Byrd...ask him..b/c no matter what we say, we cannot read his mind, and everyone will have a different interpretation. No one can give you that answer but him...why don't you ask him...and then come back and claify...maybe he feels and I'm just guessing, that it isn't a question of him being needy, it could be, however, the fact that you are not warm, or you only want him there when you want him there, or, he doesn't feel confident around you because......
or
maybe he feels your using him, it sounds to me, like there certainly isn't enough communication here....you need to sit down with him and have a heart to heart...and really listen, don't take what he says as an attack against your character...but as a willingness to listen and improve....he isn't making this up...he is feeling how he is feeling for a reason....

it could mean a lot of things and not one thing...people don't do or say things for one reason, but many.

The worse thing you can do here is assume you know why he's feeling this way...like I said, ask HIM...not us.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:06 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
He is needy, and he wants you to be equally needy, so he doesn't feel like such a chump.
I know him well, he's definitely not a needy man. Believe me, it would drive me nuts if he were.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:09 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,652,600 times
Quote:
I know him well, he's definitely not a needy man. Believe me, it would drive me nuts if he were.

Sure thing.

I'm sticking to my interpretation, though, people are not one-dimensional, they are different things at different times.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
maybe he is intimidated by your independence and confidence. Whyte Byrd...ask him..b/c no matter what we say, we cannot read his mind, and everyone will have a different interpretation. No one can give you that answer but him...why don't you ask him...and then come back and claify...maybe he feels and I'm just guessing, that it isn't a question of him being needy, it could be, however, the fact that you are not warm, or you only want him there when you want him there, or, he doesn't feel confident around you because......
or
maybe he feels your using him, it sounds to me, like there certainly isn't enough communication here....you need to sit down with him and have a heart to heart...and really listen, don't take what he says as an attack against your character...but as a willingness to listen and improve....he isn't making this up...he is feeling how he is feeling for a reason....

it could mean a lot of things and not one thing...people don't do or say things for one reason, but many.
Hmmm Yeah. I see what you're saying. We're very close and affectionate with each other, very touchy-feely, very wrapped up in each other, can't get enough of each other, sort of relationship. In fact, he's told me people tell him he's walking taller these days--since me, he claims--so I must be doing something he likes. We've always been able to discuss anything but this topic just gave me a chill.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:15 AM

11,169 posts, read 10,636,145 times
Quote:
When all else fails - it's TOOL TIME! I just had my BF fix a clogged bathtub of mine - and was it ever a bonding experience when he explained to me how my body scrubs, body masks and hair was just jamming the drain up. Just give the innocent girly doe eyes - and agree you will be more careful blah blah blah... they love it.

In every man is a "hero." Gotta love it...

Old 06-02-2009, 09:16 AM

5,553 posts, read 6,727,364 times
Men don't like needy, but they liked to be needed. There is a difference. They like to feel heroic, even in a small way. I know a woman who was single for a long time and when she got married, her husband reminded her, "You should really let me help you sometimes."

Old 06-02-2009, 10:44 AM

1,776 posts, read 3,998,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylalou View Post
Men don't like needy, but they liked to be needed. There is a difference. They like to feel heroic, even in a small way. I know a woman who was single for a long time and when she got married, her husband reminded her, "You should really let me help you sometimes."
I think a lot of that independent woman thing is what's killing relationships these days.

The more I think about it, I guess I do need to be needed in the relationship. It's not some validation of my manhood, because I've been doing my thing for my whole life, but the woman I'll marry will have the ability and means to take care of herself but allow me to handle certain aspects for her.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:48 AM

1,293 posts, read 3,185,153 times
Quote:
Do you think he's looking for a hole in the wall he can fill for her?
Don't think that's what he has in mind there, but you never know.

Nobody likes 'needy' in the sense I'm thinking, but everybody wants to feel needed on certain levels. Guess it validates them from just wanting you. *shrug*

Old 06-03-2009, 05:22 AM

28,883 posts, read 30,160,831 times
Quote:
Hmmm Yeah. I see what you're saying. We're very close and affectionate with each other, very touchy-feely, very wrapped up in each other, can't get enough of each other, sort of relationship. In fact, he's told me people tell him he's walking taller these days--since me, he claims--so I must be doing something he likes. We've always been able to discuss anything but this topic just gave me a chill.

well, that is something your going to have to realize in your own self...why did it give you a chill, do you fear needing? Yanno, it is ok to realize our own desires and needs...that is part of our path, to understand ourselves and what our desires and needs are. We all need something to help us feel accomplished and/or fulfilled. My point is...his word really scared you...why? By discussing this issue with him, may be a great way to understand yourself more. If you ask him what he means, his response may surprise you. It may not be what you want to hear, but perhaps he has a very valid reason for saying this....which may help you grow, hence, help both of you grow, and the relationship becomes stronger. What I'm saying is, you will grow until the day you die, if you allow yourself to...sometimes we cannot see in ourselves what others see...I believe life is our very own personal journey...and constructive critisisum can be a wonderful gift, if we don't spaze out and take it as a personal attack against our characters. Find out what he's thinking...communication rather then 2nd guess can be a very useful tool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships