Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 12:21 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times

Advertisements

I've taken many vacations by myself, some to relax, some to see stuff. Never been on a cruise, I think it would be confining. Took a bike trip with a company called Backroads that was great, and they have many trips for singles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 12:39 PM

1,116 posts, read 2,963,810 times
I'd pry some girlfriends off their SO's arm and take them on a cruise. It's definitely worth it I think.

My mom is doing a girl's cruise in October, with single and married women. I'm sure if you asked, they'd love to get away for a bit.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:20 PM

2,636 posts, read 7,432,146 times
I'm starting to look for a vacation. I'm in my mid 20s, but most of my friends are married or in serious relationships. Trying to find someplace warm to go to in the early/mid winter. I haven't been on a vacation in years, and based on some of the research I've done, it is very expensive.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:26 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shania View Post
And when you're tired, the idea of doing all the planning, taking care of all the traveling details, as well as figuring everything out in the place you're visiting (where to eat, how to get around, etc,), it just doesn't sound as relaxing as it normally would to me.
That's true. I'm afraid to drive in foreign countries. Besides, I drive only automatic and renting them in many countries is quite more expensive. Also, I'm scared sh*tless about the consequences should I get into an accident. My ex-husbands drove in my home country. Gotta give it to them! God knows I'd never attempt it!

Old 06-03-2009, 10:07 PM

2,969 posts, read 6,944,844 times
If I were you I'd book a vacay to Chicago or NYC to eat and shop or maybe to the Keys to just relax on the beach. It is so laid back there...I wouldn't feel weird at all being alone

Old 06-03-2009, 10:12 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
you will never have more than 1 crazy person in your cabin ever.
no interruptions ever
no need to search for the slob who left their clothes on the floor
when you want to blame someone for your bad mood just turn on the bathroom light.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:25 AM

670 posts, read 2,114,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandsGal View Post
If I were you I'd book a vacay to Chicago or NYC to eat and shop or maybe to the Keys to just relax on the beach. It is so laid back there...I wouldn't feel weird at all being alone
I did think about Chicago because haven't been there since I was seven. And haven't been to Florida since I was a kid so not very familiar with the places there to go. Will look into that too. Thanks.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:56 AM

2 posts, read 2,127 times
The best place I have to found to go on vacations by myself are SPAS. Usually 50% of the people at these resorts are also there by themselves. I tend to go to spas that have numerous fitness classes, so I am busy all day long, and at nighttime I am so tired that it doesn't matter if I am by myself.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:10 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,427,075 times
I've only ever taken one vacation alone, never as enjoyable. JMO.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:18 AM

11 posts, read 21,452 times
I travel alone frequently... both for work and pleasure. I have come to prefer it for the most part although I agree with the post about avoiding the couples' resorts and such. I've done DC and Baltimore and Atlanta and LA all by myself. I'd suggest looking for an event you are interested in attending (concert, conference, art exhibit) and build a trip around that. I find it makes conversations with people easier if you can say something like "I'm here for the XYZ concert... I've always wanted to see them play this venue" in awkward conversations with strangers.
Also, I've met some of the most interesting people I know on trips I've taken alone. There is something very natural and freeing about only having yourself to worry about. Wherever you go, ENJOY YOURSELF!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships