Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 06:23 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times

Advertisements

Let's say you just ended a horrible relationship with someone and his name was Roy or her name was Mary. Now you meet someone else and they have the same names. Or you had a bad relationship with your mother or father and you meet someone with their names. Is this ever a factor when you meet someone new? No emotional reaction to someone you meet and you just learn their name?

My sister was involved with two men named John, curiously they were both alcoholics. And I laugh as she says she'd never get involved with another man named John again.

I have to say I have my own unfounded biases with names, and it can even be people who I hire to do some repairs on my house. Some names I have in my mind as: trustworthy or not trustworthy. One of these days I'm going to have my house cleaned out as a result of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 06:26 PM

283 posts, read 738,296 times
The opposite for me happened. I was in a great relationship with a guy named Gordon that eventually died off (the relationship, not the guy). A year or two later I met another Gordon, and subconciously I think I put some of the good characteristics of G1 onto G2, even though G2 was a psycho. So, I could see how it could go the way you are suggesting too.

Old 06-03-2009, 06:27 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,708,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Let's say you just ended a horrible relationship with someone and his name was Roy or her name was Mary. Now you meet someone else and they have the same names. Or you had a bad relationship with your mother or father and you meet someone with their names. Is this ever a factor when you meet someone new? No emotional reaction to someone you meet and you just learn their name?

My sister was involved with two men named John, curiously they were both alcoholics. And I laugh as she says she'd never get involved with another man named John again.

I have to say I have my own unfounded biases with names, and it can even be people who I hire to do some repairs on my house. Some names I have in my mind as: trustworthy or not trustworthy. One of these days I'm going to have my house cleaned out as a result of this.
So you think Tony's a scarface?

Old 06-03-2009, 06:28 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,025,535 times
I don't think I could date anyone named Osama.

Old 06-03-2009, 06:38 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,051,501 times
I had a problem with "Ron's" before. The original 'Ron' was my high school sweetheart. He broke my HEART. Took me YEARS to recover. Anyway, whenever I would meet someone else named RON, I would instantly diss and dismiss him on the strength of his name. I finally grew out if it, but yes, it happens.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:48 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Not that it's some definite deal-breaker, but I do have an emotional reaction to names and I also believe names have an impact on one's personality.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:50 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,244,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
I don't think I could date anyone named Osama.
Or Sadam Fidel?? Hugo??

Old 06-03-2009, 09:52 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,507,850 times
Hitler?

Old 06-03-2009, 09:54 PM

52,197 posts, read 52,629,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

I know my feelings for someone would improve real quick if they had a name like HotCheesyMac.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:56 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,244,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I know my feelings for someone would improve real quick if they had a name like HotCheesyMac.
Slimy brussel sprouts wouldn't do the trick??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships