Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 06:53 PM

213 posts, read 671,894 times

Advertisements

I've heard daughters usually marry a man like their father and a son will get a woman similar to their mother. I found it sorta true in my last relationship and that was weird... has that ever happen to anyone here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 07:26 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,027,811 times
Well ... my husband is 17 years older and treats me like a kid. Does that count? On the other hand, I suppose my two sons are in for some old b*tch like their mother!

Old 06-03-2009, 07:30 PM

168 posts, read 531,897 times
I have read that people will marry either someone like their parents or someone the opposite of their parents ... which pretty much includes everybody. In my case, my husband is a lot more like my mom personality-wise. Go figure ...

Old 06-03-2009, 07:34 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,209,220 times
I suspect the answers are all over the map and fairly evenly distributed, esp given how people, their familes/lives/etc etc etc are so varied.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:18 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,139,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
On the other hand, I suppose my two sons are in for some old b*tch like their mother!
Poor guys!

Old 06-03-2009, 08:20 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,960,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sincere1782 View Post
I've heard daughters usually marry a man like their father and a son will get a woman similar to their mother. I found it sorta true in my last relationship and that was weird... has that ever happen to anyone here?
I didn't marry anyone remotely similar to my dad, so it sure wasn't true in my case.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:22 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,027,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Poor guys!
I've tried to convince them to become priests, but they just aren't going for it. Apparently they don't like little boys.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:32 PM

156 posts, read 270,433 times
I have heard and seen both scenarios. I suppose it depends on what their parents were like. As for myself, I married a man who has a personality that matched my mom's (when she was alive). It's creepy when I see/hear him do things/talk about things like my mom.. Especially since they have never met.
As far as people marrying a spouse that are opposite their parents, I have seen this as well. Except they haven't married yet. It sort of goes along with when children grow up with bad influencing parents (I.E: drunkards and druggies). It's sort of hilarious to see the kids acting way more mature than their parents! ("Mom, you need to go to bed. It's a school night!").

Old 06-04-2009, 12:37 AM

4,837 posts, read 8,852,845 times
Quote:
This has been rebutted. Think of it this way: if wives were like their MIL, why all the animosity? People with similar world views don't fight as much as they do.

Men who want someone like Mom, stay home for a long time.

Its the guys who want a change who, at a young age, strike out on their own and get married to someone who gives them what they desire, something different.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:56 AM

2,385 posts, read 4,332,495 times
Quote:
IF you were close to a parent/sibling/relative and had a healthy relationship with that parent, you will probably find someone like them because you want to recreate what was good.

If you had a really crappy and intensely bad relationship with a parent/sibling/relative, you will probably find someone like them because you want to recreate the bad situation in order to work through it, and it's what you know. People find comfort in what they know, even if it's harmful.

If you had only ok relationships with the people who raised you, you will probably date someone who has a mix of all their characteristics.

If you had both a really good or really bad relationship with a parent/sibling/relative + ok relationships with others you will seek the bad/good qualities as well as the neutral qualities in others.

Regardless of what type you pick based on your experiences being raised, you will also find someone who connects with you on a level that others don't and someone who is the ying to your yang, complete opposite in a complementary way.

At least, these ingredients are always involved when we make a soul connection with someone.

/.02
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships