Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 02:24 AM

4,751 posts, read 5,435,775 times

Advertisements

Here's the truth. If one person in a couple keeps putting off getting married for some reason, then those two people *should not* get married.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 02:27 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie3 View Post
Here's the truth. If one person in a couple keeps putting off getting married for some reason, then those two people *should not* get married.
That's probably true, but in this case perhaps they shouldn't be together, either. IMO, it hardly ever is a mutual decision - it's one person's decision the other one puts up with.

Old 06-06-2009, 02:32 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,619,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie3 View Post
Thank you for that insightful comment... Twenty years together, extremely happy , faithful and utterly devoted to each other and we have been through 10 years of me having Leukaemia.

I guess we're not committed enough to each other though.

I must go and cancel our wedding plans this minute , you have really convinced me..... Darn here I was thinking he and I had a great relationship but I guess I was wrong.

Some people really do have a twisted view of what Love truly is about. And Marriage by the sound of it too. Keep your "truth," I prefer my reality.

Old 06-06-2009, 02:32 AM

709 posts, read 1,766,871 times
My uncle and his girlfriend have been happily living together since 1991 and they have never officially been married. They have been living together for so long that I have started referring to my uncle's girlfriend as my aunt.

Old 06-06-2009, 02:38 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Thank you for that insightful comment... Twenty years together, extremely happy , faithful and utterly devoted to each other and we have been through 10 years of me having Leukaemia.

I guess we're not committed enough to each other though.

I must go and cancel our wedding plans this minute , you have really convinced me..... Darn here I was thinking he and I had a great relationship but I guess I was wrong.

Some people really do have a twisted view of what Love truly is about. And Marriage by the sound of it too. Keep your "truth," I prefer my reality.
There are exceptions to every rule, but I've heard and read enough sad, sort of apologetic and explanatory announcements by women in this situation that make me think they're not all that happy with the status quo.

Old 06-06-2009, 03:22 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,897,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
You have to be kiddin' me! That's duck soup! You've no idea what dealing with INS (I mean Homeland Security these days) is like!
Yes I know! Thankfully!

Quote:
And unless you have a million to invest in our dear economy, how do you think you're potentially moving here...?!
Who says I was thinking I was potentially moving there?

Coz we both know I don't got the million, unless my numbers come up tonight.

Old 06-07-2009, 01:34 AM

Quote:
There are exceptions to every rule, but I've heard and read enough sad, sort of apologetic and explanatory announcements by women in this situation that make me think they're not all that happy with the status quo.
Most couples I know only got married after years, and years of living together and are living very happy lives. Most couple I know who got married fairly quickly after meeting each other without living together are now divorced.

To me getting to really know someone and seeing them at their worst as well as their best is a crucial component of compatibility "assessment".

When someone has stuck with you for years despite having no legal "duty" to do so, it shows a certain level commitment. Getting married is very easy.

Having a mature and long lasting relationship is not.

All marriage is , is a legal piece of paper which gives you certain rights cohabitation may not. And a societal construct. There is nothing remotely natural about it. It is all in the mind mostly.

As far as I am concerned I have been "morally" and mentally wedded to my fiance. I love him , he loves me and we have had a great relationship with all the ups and downs it entails. That to me is love and commitment.

Marriage does not mean your spouse loves you, will be faithful or look after you if you are sick and vulnerable. All it means is you have a piece of paper which decrees you are married.

The modern rates of divorce are in my opinion so high because people marry too soon, get caught in some domestic fantasy about life together and have unrealistic expectations encouraged by a general lack of knowledge about the other person.

Living together allows you to see someone warts and all before marriage.

Old 06-07-2009, 01:38 AM

1,293 posts, read 3,188,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Living together allows you to see someone warts and all before marriage.
My "examinations" usually let me see those early on.

Old 06-07-2009, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynec613 View Post
My "examinations" usually let me see those early on.
How very thorough of you !

Old 06-07-2009, 02:25 AM

52,199 posts, read 52,629,348 times
You my friend are like a fine wine, some like it and some don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships