Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 03:33 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,525,084 times

Advertisements

ARRRGGGHHH. I hate dealing with customer service. You'd think people would treat people spending money in this economy a little better.

I made the mistake of ordering a GPS device from a particular company (can I say the company name here?). They sent it signature required so I now have a choice between taking off of work to wait for the shipment (can't be shipped after 5:00, which I don't believe) or having it returned and paying a 10% restocking fee.

How do you deal with customer service when it's customer NON-service? I repeated, about six times, that I'd think they'd want to keep the sale in this economy. Apparently, their business must be booming so they don't have to care about customer service or whether or not a customer can actually take delivery. They're telling me it's my fault for not realizing I'd have to take off work to recieve the package because their shipping policy, which I agreed to, said it needed a signature. I just didn't realize that signature was required between 10:00AM and 2:00PM (the only hours the shipping service will deliver to my neighborhood, scratch them from my list of companies to do business with as well as Mega GPS.). GRRRRRRR.

Now I have to find someone else to buy this from, get it in time for father's day and wait until they get around to crediting my account, minus the $50 restocking fee.

You'd think if you're in a business where you ship things, you could manage to get them delivered. Apparently, they make their real money in restocking fees off of suckers like me.

Grrrrrr....I'd better get Mega brownie points for this one. Talk about frustrating. I have never been told the only option to deliver something is certain daytime hours. You'd think if no one is home during the day one day, they probably won't be home the next either. Whatever happened to customer service? Oh, and the service rep thought this was funny. Nothing like being laughed at to make you want to do business with a company again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 03:36 PM

1,293 posts, read 3,189,260 times
Eh? Any delivery service I know of has pickup hours after normal working hours, UPS, Fed ex, etc..
You just hit their branch office near you once the truck comes in and you can get it.
UPS requires you to call them before you can pick it up, but then they hold it for ya.

Old 06-05-2009, 03:37 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,934,385 times
Quote:
How do you deal with customer service when it's customer NON-service?
I would not allow them to charge a restocking fee. They need to provide shipment at your convenience.

Alert your credit card company you will not pay the restocking fee, as well as the company - if they persist, file a disputed claim, make their life difficult.

If you are in good standing with the CC company, have a good history, you have a lot of leverage. If the credit card company won't stand by you, refuse to pay the disputed amount and cancel the card.

Old 06-05-2009, 03:39 PM

Location: I never said I was perfect so no refunds here sorry!
6,489 posts, read 7,179,751 times
If you must sign, have it delivered to you at work and eliminate the problem

Old 06-05-2009, 03:40 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,060,696 times
Uh, yeah....just go to the UPS place and pick it up there. It's usually an option on the delivery slip...they'll try again to deliver OR you can go pick it up. Just go after work.

Old 06-05-2009, 03:43 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,124,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
ARRRGGGHHH. I hate dealing with customer service. You'd think people would treat people spending money in this economy a little better.

I made the mistake of ordering a GPS device from a particular company (can I say the company name here?). They sent it signature required so I now have a choice between taking off of work to wait for the shipment (can't be shipped after 5:00, which I don't believe) or having it returned and paying a 10% restocking fee.

How do you deal with customer service when it's customer NON-service? I repeated, about six times, that I'd think they'd want to keep the sale in this economy. Apparently, their business must be booming so they don't have to care about customer service or whether or not a customer can actually take delivery. They're telling me it's my fault for not realizing I'd have to take off work to recieve the package because their shipping policy, which I agreed to, said it needed a signature. I just didn't realize that signature was required between 10:00AM and 2:00PM (the only hours the shipping service will deliver to my neighborhood, scratch them from my list of companies to do business with as well as Mega GPS.). GRRRRRRR.

Now I have to find someone else to buy this from, get it in time for father's day and wait until they get around to crediting my account, minus the $50 restocking fee.

You'd think if you're in a business where you ship things, you could manage to get them delivered. Apparently, they make their real money in restocking fees off of suckers like me.

Grrrrrr....I'd better get Mega brownie points for this one. Talk about frustrating. I have never been told the only option to deliver something is certain daytime hours. You'd think if no one is home during the day one day, they probably won't be home the next either. Whatever happened to customer service? Oh, and the service rep thought this was funny. Nothing like being laughed at to make you want to do business with a company again.
When I have something sent signature required I either have them send it to me at work *or* to my mother's house. It seems strange that this is the first time in your entire life that this has happened. You need to plan ahead, that's all.

Most of the time, if you are not there to sign for it, they will leave a sticky note on your door and you can go and pick it up later at the distribution center (on your lunch hour).

20yrsinBranson

Old 06-05-2009, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynec613 View Post
Eh? Any delivery service I know of has pickup hours after normal working hours, UPS, Fed ex, etc..
You just hit their branch office near you once the truck comes in and you can get it.
UPS requires you to call them before you can pick it up, but then they hold it for ya.
UPS says I have to go to the downtown warehouse if I want to pick it up and I ain't going to down town Detroit to pick up anything in the evening. No one at either company has a solution other than I call in sick on Monday and let a sub give my finals or drive into an area of Detroit I'd rather not drive into, both of which are not happening.

Apparently, USPS was one shipping option. I missed that one. Just went with what defaulted on the web page for delivery. I didn't think UPS woudl have a problem delivering. I see a UPS truck on my street about three times a week IN THE EVENING. Apparently, that's for pick up not delivery. UGH.

Old 06-05-2009, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbl-r View Post
If you must sign, have it delivered to you at work and eliminate the problem
I work at a high school. I can't leave my class to sign for anything, unless they happen to deliver it on my prep.

Old 06-05-2009, 03:45 PM

1,293 posts, read 3,189,260 times
So you don't have a friend that wouldn't mind some brownie points with you to dodge a few bullets for ya?

Hint at "special favor", it'll work.

Old 06-05-2009, 03:48 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,124,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
UPS says I have to go to the downtown warehouse if I want to pick it up and I ain't going to down town Detroit to pick up anything in the evening. No one at either company has a solution other than I call in sick on Monday and let a sub give my finals or drive into an area of Detroit I'd rather not drive into, both of which are not happening.

Apparently, USPS was one shipping option. I missed that one. Just went with what defaulted on the web page for delivery. I didn't think UPS woudl have a problem delivering. I see a UPS truck on my street about three times a week IN THE EVENING. Apparently, that's for pick up not delivery. UGH.
This is not germane to the conversation (thread drift), but I just HAVE to ask. Why would you live someplace where you are afraid? Wow that concept blows my mind.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships