Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 10:31 AM

1,452 posts, read 3,170,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
no! let some one say something about one of my loved ones.

i give them dirty looks and snickers back. i know its not the grown thing to do, but if an adult thinks they can talk about my family or friends like that, then i can talk about their ugliness as a person. not physical ugliness, but their shallowness and superficialness.

go to bat for your sister.

and if it was that much of a concern you would work with her to make her healthier.

get her to eat better. do excercise. its not about looks its about HEALTH.

forget the people who act unkindly towards you. they have the problem, not you or your sister.

i love my family, fat, dark, skinny, short, cross eyed. they are my family. dont nobody talk about them like that and think its ok.

Ok, my sister is very overweight as well. Is she ugly? Right now, yes because she is so heavy it's hard to get past the weight. She would be beautiful if she lost weight. You're very harsh, to tell the OP they should be responsible for getting his/her sister to lose weight. And yes it is about their health above all else. We tried that for years with my sister and it backfired. I suggested gastric bypass. She's now finally going to weight watchers but resents any interference or suggestions by the rest of the family and will eat for spite if we say anything.

And there is a lot of animosity for fat people. You can be almost anything in this society but fat, it is the least acceptable of physical attributes..even over ugly...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 10:34 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,898,300 times
Default Would you embarrassed to be seen with someone who was fat and ugly?

No.

I really couldn't give a flying fruit about other people's perceptions.

I don't know any ugly people.

Old 06-06-2009, 10:41 AM

943 posts, read 2,280,056 times
Question for the thin folks here, have any of you ever considered that FAT peoples bodies work differently?

That they either feel more hunger then a normal thin person. [There are legitimate eating disorders, but Ive had thin friends tell me they can go all day without eating and think nothing of it]

or they dont burn the food off as well?

I know thin people that eat tons of junk and still dont get fat. I have a person at church, lady, who eats three plates of food {Maybe she doesnt eat for the next two days I dont know...} and is very very thin.

Old 06-06-2009, 11:26 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,540,707 times
I know some thin, good looking people I will not be seen in public with.

If my sister's weight made her a bummer to be around, I wouldn't want to be around her. Her weight alone would not be reason enough for me to be embarassed or avoid her.

Not everyone has a weight problem because they are gluttonous pigs. I am my no means fat, but I am heavier than I have ever been. I have had back problems for quite some time that slowed me down, but I also know I am fortunate in that I could lose the weight at any time. I'm not dumb enough to think that it is this way for everyone.

I would not tell her to lose weight to please anyone but herself; for her health as well as her emotional and mental well being. People are cruel and stupid, but they don't deserve to be the focus of her losing weight.

Old 06-06-2009, 11:47 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,139,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheredoIlive? View Post
That they either feel more hunger then a normal thin person. [There are legitimate eating disorders, but Ive had thin friends tell me they can go all day without eating and think nothing of it
IMO, feeling hunger and indulging it are two entirely different things. Besides, it also depends on what you indulge it with. I'm not one of the happy-go-lucky-eat-everything-you-want-and-stay-thin people. If I eat what I want and as much as I want I can become obese, too. I just don't. Hitting a certain threshold I've set for myself means measures should be taken immediately. All my life so far I pretty much fluctuate within 5-6 lbs of my high-school weight. Granted, I'm a smoker, which is something that perhaps helps some as most people gain weight when they quit. I'm not quite sure if it's really because of quitting smoking, though. It might have more to do with filling the moments that used to be reserved for a cigarette with more food.

Old 06-06-2009, 12:00 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,118,057 times
LMAO at this topic.

Old 06-06-2009, 12:02 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,896,349 times
Fat people can be healthy, fat people can be happy, fat people can even be sexy. I understand people gaining weight, but I don't understand unhappy fat people. Nobody woke up fat, before u were 300, u were 275, before 275, you were 250.

Most people I know who got fat at some point checked out on life, stopped caring about theirselves, stopped caring about the people around them. There's nothing wrong with being fat, some people love that body type, some "hot people" love that body type, but I don't get self loathing fat people. Are fat people that wish they were skinny.

I used to be fat, over 200lbs and I'm a short dude between 66 and 67 inches (the older I get it closer to the 66). I was happy and confident w/ myself even then. The only reason i lost the weight was b/c I wanted to join the Marines. I know someone who was over 300lbs prior to joining.

Blame my mother, blame the Marine Corps,blame me being a virgo, blame Nike but I was raised with the philosophy to just do it. I believe anybody can do anything, it's just a matter of if they have the WILL to do it. If you don't like being fat cut calories (not too much, or your metabolism will slow) or do 30 min of STRENOUS exercise today. If u don't have "time" save up some money for an operation. If you can do that, then just get over it, but please please please don't use it as a crutch or a reason for self pity.

speaking of self pity, just b/c you're overweight, that doesn't mean you don't have to take care of yourself. that doesn't negate you from putting on makeup and fashionable clothes. sweats aren't the only thing that come in XXXXXL. Go to a Lane Bryant or Ashley Stewart or something.

Old 06-06-2009, 01:35 PM

1,828 posts, read 3,789,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
One of my sisters is extremely overweight. She is close to 300 pounds and in all honesty she is just plain ugly. When she is out in public I notice that people tend to stare, giggle and are just plain rude to her. It must be terrible to be her because I can just feel the hostility.

I notice that when I am with her some of the negative vibes that are directed at her because of her weight and general appearance is also directed at me. It is almost like people are saying, "what are you doing with her"

So, are you embarrassed to be seen with people who are fat, frumpy and ugly?
She is still probably a wonderful human being, probably a better person than most people. Looks should be meaningless, but because mainly of the media, they are not.

Old 06-06-2009, 01:41 PM

1,091 posts, read 3,591,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big daryle View Post
She is still probably a wonderful human being, probably a better person than most people. Looks should be meaningless, but because mainly of the media, they are not.

Well, looks aren't meaningless if we assume that obese, unattractive people are "better" than most people.

I don't think it's fair to assume they're better or worse. They're just people. I'm sure their personal qualities vary, just as thinner people have all different sorts of personalities.

We don't do obese people any favors by putting them on pedestals and assuming they're saints, any more than we do by demonizing them.

This was done with me and my sister, who is physically disabled, when we were children.
Early on, I was stereotyped as the "bad" girl, and my sister was the "good" girl.
As an adult, my sister has told me that she was aware of this and didn't like it any more than I did. She didn't get into as much trouble as I did, only because she didn't have the physical mobility to do ordinary things. If she hadn't had the physical limitations, she would've gotten into as much mischief as I did, and maybe even more. She certainly always had a sharp and wicked sense of humor, although she largely kept this disguised when adults were around.

Old 06-06-2009, 01:45 PM

1,801 posts, read 3,553,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
No.

I really couldn't give a flying fruit about other people's perceptions.

I don't know any ugly people.
I liked this

I don't know anyone I might even think would be embarrassing to be with because they're so unattractive. Is that even possible when you're older than, say, 12? If someone adult snickers or scorns or behaves without due politeness just because someone else is overweight or has not a pretty face, even if he's/she's malformed... I may be embarrassed, but it's the person that behaves that way who is embarrassing to me. It's embarrassing when you realise what pathetic and uneducated individuals you're forced to live in the world with, basically. I've never had anyone mocking me over my appearance but rest assured that if it ever happens, I'll feel sorry for them and not for myself or my friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships