Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2009, 05:50 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,452,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Most would indicate a preponderance (more than half). Do you make these remarks based on your opinion, or actual acknowledged empirical data? I think you might do wisely to use the word many instead, if you are basing this on your own personal observations and experience. Otherwise, I'd love to see the source of your conclusions.
I don't know. I thought this was pretty obvious. If most people didn't want to pass on their DNA then:

A. The earth's population would decrease
B. Most people would opt for adoption in lieu of having their own children
C. Most people who have fertility problems would avoid expensive fertility treatments
D. Most people would utilize permanent birth control

Also, I do think that single mothers are more reluctant to bear another man's child. As onegreatnurse said, if a single mother has been burned in the past she has every reason to be reluctant. People are typically more cautious after negative experiences. I would think this would be the same for single mothers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 06:16 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,510,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkPumps View Post
Why is it that men shy away from women with kids?

Say if you are browsing a dating site or a social networking community and see a woman that you are attracted to but also find out that she has a child(ren) you click on and keep going?

That is judging the book by it's cover without discovering what's behind it.

All single mothers do not carry baggage and are quite independent.
And?

You spread your legs and get stuck with a kid you expect every Tom, Dick and Harry to run to you with open arms?

A child is baggage. Very,very,very heavy baggage and not everyone wants to deal with that. Doesn't make them a bad person a kid is a sh*tload to deal with.

Old 06-11-2009, 06:24 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,171,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
And?

You spread your legs and get stuck with a kid you expect every Tom, Dick and Harry to run to you with open arms?

A child is baggage. Very,very,very heavy baggage and not everyone wants to deal with that. Doesn't make them a bad person a kid is a sh*tload to deal with.

OK, some of us were MARRIED and didn't think we wouldn't continue to be that way....we're not talking just about kids out of wedlock..

Old 06-11-2009, 06:31 PM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Well, he does sound somewhat bitter, but if I were him I wouldn't do it, either. And why should he?
Who says he has to? But good Lord. What a friggin' chip he's carrying. I expect he's going to turn off many women, children or no, with such a bitter resentful attitude. Yeesh!

As far as " Gee you're 35 years old, never married, no children and single, how did you manage to pull that one off?"

Heck most of my girlfriends did that. Nothin' special there. But as far as dating someone with kids, if you don't want to, then certainly don't. I don't know why anyone would have a problem with that...including the OP - she's got her head in the sand a bit, I think.

Personally, I find it easier to date men without dependent kids, but I do prefer men that have been fathers. It adds a depth that others are lacking.

Old 06-11-2009, 06:36 PM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onegreatnurse View Post
OK, some of us were MARRIED and didn't think we wouldn't continue to be that way....we're not talking just about kids out of wedlock..
Yeah I don't know why anyone is assuming that. Actually I always assume the person is divorced.

Old 06-11-2009, 06:42 PM

It doesn't matter if you were married, had a kid out of wedlock or whatever don't expect the line in potential suitors to be long if you have a kid. Where not talking about a f*cking puppy here a kid a lot to deal with and if you get into a relationship with a person that has one their main focus isn't on you it's on the kid. That's a lot to deal with and to bash people who do not want to deal with that :which I see a lot of in this thread: is stupid.

Old 06-11-2009, 06:48 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,171,345 times
Quote:
It doesn't matter if you were married, had a kid out of wedlock or whatever don't expect the line in potential suitors to be long if you have a kid. Where not talking about a f*cking puppy here a kid a lot to deal with and if you get into a relationship with a person that has one their main focus isn't on you it's on the kid. That's a lot to deal with and to bash people who do not want to deal with that :which I see a lot of in this thread: is stupid.

I never bashed anyone who doesn't want to deal with it, if you read some of my posts here on this thread, you will see where I stated I can understand why a guy wouldn't want to date a single mother and don't expect everyone to be accepting of it. HOWEVER, it's a little crass to state..."you spread your legs and get stuck with a kid and then expect every Tom, Dick and Harry to run to you with open arms after that..." donchathink???

Old 06-11-2009, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onegreatnurse View Post
I never bashed anyone who doesn't want to deal with it, if you read some of my posts here on this thread, you will see where I stated I can understand why a guy wouldn't want to date a single mother and don't expect everyone to be accepting of it. HOWEVER, it's a little crass to state..."you spread your legs and get stuck with a kid and then expect every Tom, Dick and Harry to run to you with open arms after that..." donchathink???
Never said you were I said in general some of the comments posted by women were ugh especially towards drsmiley06

No my comment wasn't crass it's the truth.

Old 06-12-2009, 01:01 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,641,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Denny: regardless of how we might personally feel about single mothers and how they got that way, one thing is clear. They canNOT opt to be childfree, and those of us who don't want kids are NOT a good match for them.
This statement assumes that a woman with kids wants you to be a father to her child. Most single parents I've met don't want that at all. In fact, the ones I've met have made it clear that their child already has a father.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
Most women who have children by one man will generally be more reluctant to have children by another. Most childless people who are open to having kids will prefer to have their own as opposed to adopting another person's child. Most people want to contribute their own DNA into the next generation.
Do you have any data to back up these claims or is this just your personal opinion? Many women divorce, remarry and have kids with their new husbands. Many childless couples adopt due to infertility.

Quote:
if you get into a relationship with a person that has one their main focus isn't on you it's on the kid. That's a lot to deal with and to bash people who do not want to deal with that :which I see a lot of in this thread: is stupid.
You could say the exact same thing about a woman who has a child with her husband. The child becomes the focus. Many men can't deal with that. They become jealous of their own kids.

Old 06-12-2009, 01:18 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
I don't know. I thought this was pretty obvious. If most people didn't want to pass on their DNA then:

A. The earth's population would decrease
B. Most people would opt for adoption in lieu of having their own children
C. Most people who have fertility problems would avoid expensive fertility treatments
D. Most people would utilize permanent birth control

Also, I do think that single mothers are more reluctant to bear another man's child. As onegreatnurse said, if a single mother has been burned in the past she has every reason to be reluctant. People are typically more cautious after negative experiences. I would think this would be the same for single mothers.
Nice try - didn't cut it. You stated:

Most women who have children by one man will generally be more reluctant to have children by another.

According to what information??

Most childless people who are open to having kids will prefer to have their own as opposed to adopting another person's child.

According to what information??

Most people want to contribute their own DNA into the next generation.

This is the only item you remotely responded to. Granted, many people want to procreate - but are we really going to believe that people's desire to have families is to pass along their genetic coding? That was the last thing on my mind when I did it myself. And in actuality, many many people are more than happy to adopt because it isn't about the DNA, it is about love for a child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships