U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: For You, is Marriage necessary?
Yes 33 32.04%
No 70 67.96%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-10-2009, 11:49 PM

213 posts, read 412,632 times
Default depends

depends on my mood that day...lol
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 11:57 PM

19,023 posts, read 12,756,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
You can work hard at raising kids and still be selfish. Being selfish has to do with why you're doing something, not how hard you work.

The definition of selfish is "concerned primarily with one's own interests." A person who has children to leave a legacy is, by definition, selfish. You are literally doing something because it benefits your self.

At the same time, a person who does not have children because they want to have more time (or money) for themselves is also being selfish. BTW being selfish is not necessarily a bad thing, it's really only a problem when it gets in the way of the common good.
Considering that "fool" wasn't really "fool" in the middle ages which manifests in the idiocy of the English language, skew it all you want, normie.

While I hand you the liberty to corrupt your own instance of the "fool" phenomenon, let me help you?

Bah, Bah, a black Sheep,
Have you any Wool?
Yes, selfish am I,
Three Bags full,
One for my master,
One for my dame,
One for the little boy
Who lives down the lane.

Happy figurativity!

Old 06-11-2009, 02:46 AM

25,105 posts, read 23,000,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I am married to my wife but only because she is Canadian and to get her into the country, I had to marry her. If she was already here, we would just live together. Marriage to me is a waste of time and totally not important.
waste of time and totally not important

Such a romantic Kev - seriously though - marriage is a life long commitment - a sign of true love. If someone is unwilling to show that commitment, then their true love for the other person should be questioned.

Old 06-11-2009, 04:40 AM

16,249 posts, read 10,489,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
waste of time and totally not important

Such a romantic Kev - seriously though - marriage is a life long commitment - a sign of true love. If someone is unwilling to show that commitment, then their true love for the other person should be questioned.
Most people who marry don't stay marry so I question the value of it as a commitment. It is not about the paper but about the love! Don't need any paper for that. And don't need a big pricey wedding.

Old 06-11-2009, 06:21 AM

648 posts, read 1,046,459 times
I think the problem today is that marriage doesn't mean anything to anyone. You get married and oh I just don't "feel" you anymore so lets just end it. People think that it is always going to be cloud 9 and that they are never going to fight or disagree or what have you.

I guess I wouldn't die if we didn't get married. But to me it is a very speical way to show your commitment to the other person. You make a vow that you will do what it takes to make your relationship work.

So yes, I would like to be married to one person so they can share the rest of my life with me.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:34 AM

25,105 posts, read 23,000,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Most people who marry don't stay marry so I question the value of it as a commitment. It is not about the paper but about the love! Don't need any paper for that. And don't need a big pricey wedding.
Yes, divorces happen. That is unfortunate. But, it is the intention of the parties when they enter into their marriage, that is of paramount importance. I know of no couple who goes into a marriage planning on getting a divorce.

And, many, many people get married without a "big pricey wedding" ceremony. So, that is nothing more than an excuse on your part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships