Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 10:26 AM

821 posts, read 2,038,080 times

Advertisements

ok now i feel bad for the lady.

I know that all that I keep all personal stuff to myself I dont even share most of the silly stuff with my friends or family... I so hate people being in my buisness... with that being said if it were me and my husband had cheated on me I know I would have great difficultly to open myself up to one of my friends and family member with the fear of I hate people being in my buisness and that it only takes one person to say "oh my did you hear what happen to JC JC Mom" and my buisness is now spread to our entire circle... So maybe he just needed to vent to an outsider
I know it had to be awkward but it was probably just as tough for her.
I would still stay totally nuertral with "I'm sorry to hear that"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 10:31 AM

Location: I never said I was perfect so no refunds here sorry!
6,489 posts, read 7,180,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC JC Mom View Post

I know that all that I keep all personal stuff to myself I dont even share most of the silly stuff with my friends or family... I so hate people being in my buisness... with that being said if it were me and my husband had cheated on me I know I would have great difficultly to open myself up to one of my friends and family member with the fear of I hate people being in my buisness and that it only takes one person to say "oh my did you hear what happen to JC JC Mom" and my buisness is now spread to our entire circle... So maybe he just needed to vent to an outsider
Thank you and yes I am as nuetral as I can be.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:27 AM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I don't care how long I know anybody. Nobody's ever heard any comment about my partners' private parts and I'm pretty positive nobody's heard about mine from them, either.
Maybe it's just my limited experience but I think women seem to talk a whole lot more amongst themselves about their *relations* than men.

Old 06-09-2009, 05:36 PM

1,091 posts, read 3,592,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC JC Mom View Post

I know that since things with my son have gotten so bad, I've been burdening my coworkers a lot with my problems.
I've never discussed much of anything personal before; it's not really my nature.
But sometimes when you're just wounded, when you're walking around feeling like your chest is torn open, you start reaching out to random people in an attempt to relieve some of the horror and loneliness you're feeling.
Of course, nobody can really help, not in any practical way.
But it does help, somehow, when they listen and seem to understand.
Most of the women I work with are mothers, and do understand the sheer ungodly weight of what I'm enduring.
I shouldn't be at work. I should be laying up in a hospital bed on a morphine drip, as bad as I'm feeling 24/7. I should be crawling into a cave somewhere to hide. But of course, like everyone, I have to work. Life doesn't stop just because one has family problems.

The most comforting responses I've gotten to my attempts to reach out for help in my anguish have been personal anecdotes that female coworkers have shared with me about their own sons (or brothers, or other family members) who had drug problems or were on a terrible path, and somehow managed to turn it around and make a good life for themselves.
But even the standard "I understand. I can't imagine how painful this must be for you. I'm really, really sorry it's happening" somehow eases the weight on my heart a little bit.
I just want the people around me to understand.
I'm hurting. I couldn't be hurting any worse if I were shot and bleeding. But of course all the trauma is emotional, and doesn't show.
I've never talked about my personal life with coworkers before, but somehow, now, I can't not talk about it. I want them to know.
I don't know why, but somehow it helps. It helps, just for other people to know.
I think reaching out this way must be a natural human instinct when we're in extremis or at the end of our ropes, either emotionally, mentally, or physically.

Different situations effect different individuals in different ways.
The situation the OP's coworker describes sounds awful, but I don't think it would be, like, the worst thing that ever happened to me. But then again, I'm not her. There's no telling how it's effecting her. People commit suicide over failed relationships all the time.

The point is, she's in pain, and she wants other people to understand.
She knows there's nothing you can do to make it better.
She probably just wants you to understand, so she doesn't feel so alone.
Emotional pain can be very isolating, and it's terrifying.

I will stick with my advice of just telling her how truly sorry you are that this is happening. And maybe following up by asking her, in a few days, how she's holding up.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane72 View Post
I know that since things with my son have gotten so bad, I've been burdening my coworkers a lot with my problems.
I've never discussed much of anything personal before; it's not really my nature.
But sometimes when you're just wounded, when you're walking around feeling like your chest is torn open, you start reaching out to random people in an attempt to relieve some of the horror and loneliness you're feeling.
Of course, nobody can really help, not in any practical way.
But it does help, somehow, when they listen and seem to understand.
Most of the women I work with are mothers, and do understand the sheer ungodly weight of what I'm enduring.
I shouldn't be at work. I should be laying up in a hospital bed on a morphine drip, as bad as I'm feeling 24/7. I should be crawling into a cave somewhere to hide. But of course, like everyone, I have to work. Life doesn't stop just because one has family problems.

The most comforting responses I've gotten to my attempts to reach out for help in my anguish have been personal anecdotes that female coworkers have shared with me about their own sons (or brothers, or other family members) who had drug problems or were on a terrible path, and somehow managed to turn it around and make a good life for themselves.
But even the standard "I understand. I can't imagine how painful this must be for you. I'm really, really sorry it's happening" somehow eases the weight on my heart a little bit.
I just want the people around me to understand.
I'm hurting. I couldn't be hurting any worse if I were shot and bleeding. But of course all the trauma is emotional, and doesn't show.
I've never talked about my personal life with coworkers before, but somehow, now, I can't not talk about it. I want them to know.
I don't know why, but somehow it helps. It helps, just for other people to know.
I think reaching out this way must be a natural human instinct when we're in extremis or at the end of our ropes, either emotionally, mentally, or physically.

Different situations effect different individuals in different ways.
The situation the OP's coworker describes sounds awful, but I don't think it would be, like, the worst thing that ever happened to me. But then again, I'm not her. There's no telling how it's effecting her. People commit suicide over failed relationships all the time.

The point is, she's in pain, and she wants other people to understand.
She knows there's nothing you can do to make it better.
She probably just wants you to understand, so she doesn't feel so alone.
Emotional pain can be very isolating, and it's terrifying.

I will stick with my advice of just telling her how truly sorry you are that this is happening. And maybe following up by asking her, in a few days, how she's holding up.
Thank you for you response as my heart goes out to you as well. In regards to your advice, I did just that, yesterday I just simply asked how she was doing and she said fine. I left that alone at that point.
Thanks again

Old 06-10-2009, 08:30 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,850,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynec613 View Post
"So...your place or mine?"
Bad Wayne!

Old 06-10-2009, 08:34 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,850,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbl-r View Post
What do you say to someone when they come to you with this type of problem is my question?
Did you read the entire post?
Tell the women to call "cheaters" the tv show....then she will know lol

Old 06-11-2009, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Tell the women to call "cheaters" the tv show....then she will know lol
I don't think she is ready for anymore excitement in her life right now lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships