U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 07-14-2009, 11:10 AM

11,718 posts, read 10,299,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
How many people esp between the ages of 18-25 or so, rush into marriage. Classic example of a girl I know only 21 and married someone after only knowing him 2 months. Madly in love probably, but still looking as an outsider relationship to me looks likely it won't last long term.
I've never understood it, why people rush into it.
Maybe because some of those people are running away from something and into a marriage, instead of moving towards marriage slowly.
Exploration...like Lewis and Clarke...LOL "Rolin on the ri i ver"....LOL Big wheels keep on turnin, proud mary keeps on yearnin, rollin, rollin, rollin on the ri i ver...

Sorry, I got side tracked...someone, please put the blinders on.....
save me, save me...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 07-14-2009, 11:12 AM

6,523 posts, read 5,251,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Maybe because some of those people are running away from something and into a marriage, instead of moving towards slowly. Exploration...like Lewis and Clarke...LOL
Yeah well true in this case. The girl in question is pretty insecure, then again so are quite a few around that age.

Unread 07-14-2009, 11:28 AM

2,984 posts, read 3,331,880 times
I am not sure age is the culprit for many divorces. Couples at any age can see the forest from the trees when choosing a life partner. One can blame bad marriages from the lessons they learned from their own parents who had a pretty rocky marriage. The seed does not fall far from the tree.

Unread 07-14-2009, 01:08 PM

4,840 posts, read 4,583,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylalou View Post
Many girls are insecure at that age and have no idea who they are and what they like. They don't really know themselves fully and are so innocent, they believe in a fantasy but don't realize it's a fantasy. They think this is the be all and end all of existence. It's sad that they don't realize or listen that life is to learn and have fun and acquiring relationship skills before they enter into something they cannot fully understand without some life experience behind them.
I some ways - long term issues - I agree with you. However, often at that age, what they do "know" is what they like and its is generally not what 99.9% of men their age have to offer. So if someone comes along and appears to buck the odds, they get very nervous that they will miss their one opportunity of a lifetime.

Parents have little influence in such decisions but players are in their element.

Unread 07-14-2009, 01:19 PM

7,313 posts, read 6,686,949 times
Marrying someone after two months is always a stupid risk, no matter what.

But as for the age. . . Well, back in the early-70's I was one of the VERY few girls around who wasn't married by age 21. Most of my friends, hitched at 18.

And while I do believe that young people were more mature then, most of them divorced and moved on. But a few of them made an enduring go of it to this day.

Unread 07-14-2009, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca
Much ado about nothing. If being single didn't have such a stigma attached to it, maybe people (women especially), wouldn't rush into marriage. What I wonder is, how many people who complain about women impulsively rushing into marriage don't sneer at women who are single.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
I've never known anyone to do that
Me too. It must be a thing women do. Sort of catty, like she is such a loser that she can't find a man.

Unread 07-14-2009, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz
How many people esp between the ages of 18-25 or so, rush into marriage. I've never understood why people rush into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyShouldIWorry View Post
She's understandably nervous. Given more time, he'll start to find out what she is really like.
I agree. These women think that the marriage ceremony will end any attempt by him to understand her better. This is bizarre thinking, given the high divorce rate. Even 50+ years ago, this thinking tended to guarantee a long unhappy marriage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships