Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 03:56 PM

19,620 posts, read 12,215,689 times

Advertisements

What do you think about really smart successful people who choose to get involved with men or women with whom they have nothing in common? I knew this guy who was married a few times to women who a) were not attractive b) had room temp IQs c) had no class. The guy was nice looking, bright and talented. He kept going for the same type despite the same bad results. I would think particularly smart and self-aware people would find it difficult to spend so much time with people so unlike them. I know another really intelligent and interesting guy who admits he dates skanky women yet says he is lonely (duh). I get it that some guys are into dirty girls but these men are over 35 and could date up the ladder a little and still have fun. They do not have to scrape this low - it seems self-destructive and stupid. These are smart people - whyyy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 03:58 PM

1,293 posts, read 3,189,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
What do you think about really smart successful people who choose to get involved with men or women with whom they have nothing in common? I knew this guy who was married a few times to women who a) were not attractive b) had room temp IQs c) had no class. The guy was nice looking, bright and talented. He kept going for the same type despite the same bad results. I would think particularly smart and self-aware people would find it difficult to spend so much time with people so unlike them. I know another really intelligent and interesting guy who admits he dates skanky women yet says he is lonely (duh). I get it that some guys are into dirty girls but these men are over 35 and could date up the ladder a little and still have fun. They do not have to scrape this low - it seems self-destructive and stupid. These are smart people - whyyy?
My opinion? A great deal of the time, it comes down to your seen options, and region.
Many would rather date someone who isn't really for them, then simply hope they might come across someone who is later.

Same for the bad boy's thread, many instances their success simply comes down to the fact that they tried when with the others their career, personality, dress, or any other number of factors kept them from being in the circles or being seen as available by other men, or by those others from trying to get noticed by them.

Old 06-10-2009, 04:03 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,002,157 times
I consider the things unseen and leave it at that. Everyone has their own tastes.

Old 06-10-2009, 05:22 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,122,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Two things come to mind for me. I'm a 29 yr old guy.
1) Not ready to settle down yet. So I go for the ones that are easy to get and easy to let go. I'm still enjoying the dating life now.
2) We like the low-key mediocre looking women. 9 and 10 women need too much attention and upkeep and a phone call every 20 minutes. And they draw too much attention.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:15 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,247,244 times
Hmmm, perhaps the folks they choose to be with are nice, honest, hardworking people who they enjoy being around...

Old 06-10-2009, 06:22 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,992,825 times
It is all relative. Even though to you they appear to be brilliant and attractive they may either not feel the same way and truly think they do not deserve someone you perceive to be their equal, or they aren't as smart as you build them up to be and they really are shooting for their average.

I've seen my fair share of both extremes. Good looking guys walking down the street holding a whale's fin, and runway models lugging a dry heaving fat man being constricted by a fanny pack down the sidewalk.

A couple more nuggets of wisdom

Opposites attract, and don't try to understand bat****crazy.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:28 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,871,505 times
I've done it a few times myself. Usually they had a trait I found appealing and were really modest about it/couldn't understand why I saw it as a plus. None of them were ever "ugly" though and none of them were "way down". Just kinda plain. I don't really believe in the different leagues thing anyway. One girl had a beautiful but was so afraid to sing around others. I'd have to sneak up on her just to hear it.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:29 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
its the motown madness that caused this.
get an ugly girl to marry you.
i bought it,
if you wana be happy.....harry belafonte sing it.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:49 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,953,056 times
I think this is much more common with men than women. I'll go so far as to say that its almost nonexistent with women except for the cougars who just want a young man.

This could also be due to all the baloney stereotypes that people mistakenly make in that beautiful sexy women tend not to be intellectuals and that the intellectual woman tends to be extremely boring and dry.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:54 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,383,968 times
Here's my $.02. For me at least, I think that long-term relationships work well if one is ambitious and career-minded, while the other is more easy-going about making the big bucks (which too many people these days equate to being a "good catch"). With 2 ambitious people, eventually things will clash, schedules will conflict too much, or they will get too competitive with each other or even jealous of the other's successes. At least that viewpoint has worked well for the last 9 years for me and my guy. In my case, I'm the one considered "ambitious", though our age difference isn't significant enough for me to be considered much of a cougar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships