Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 12:00 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,543,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
How have his other comments been?
Was this written or verbal communication?
It's possible he was making a joke or trying not to be too forward and putting out a public place for a meet and greet.

I don't know...seems a little odd but hard to say without more information.
There is a fine line between using reasonable exclusionary criteria and being overly analytical and looking to give people the axe at the first mistake.

If I were you I'd try the honesty route and say you think the gas station meet isn't something you find terribly appealing. Suggest starbucks and see how he responds.
All good points. It was written.

The axe doesn't come in with the gas station alone. It's a sign of a lack of common sense and etiquette, so it would likely not end there. Some people just don't know any better and that is innocent enough. I just don't want to train anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 12:05 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,639,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
I've been emailing with one guy who had my interest until this:

"So what's the next step? Would you like to meet at a gas station and check each other out?"

This is truly a new one. A gas station? I don't even know how to respond to that. I envision us parking our cars next to one another, getting out and giving each other the once-over while leaning on our respective car doors.

My first thought is that he is too cheap to want to meet for lunch. I get that I'm probably not the only one he is talking to. But suggest a Starbucks at least, not a gas station. What do you kids think?
I can't believe you even have to ask the question. Run for the hills. This guy sounds like a weirdo. Check each other out? Is he kidding?

Old 06-11-2009, 12:08 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times
Then again, if the guy seemed pretty great up to that point, you might follow Mathguy's suggestion. (I think telling him it doesn't appeal to you is a good idea in any case; I don't think there's anything to be lost by kindly saying "no thanks" instead of ignoring him and making him wonder what happened.) He could be testing YOU too. Maybe he doesn't want to date someone who would say yes to that kind of invitation ... isn't he supposed to be more upscale than that?

This could be something you laugh about with your grandkids someday, you know.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Then again, if the guy seemed pretty great up to that point, you might follow Mathguy's suggestion. (I think telling him it doesn't appeal to you is a good idea in any case; I don't think there's anything to be lost by kindly saying "no thanks" instead of ignoring him and making him wonder what happened.) He could be testing YOU too. Maybe he doesn't want to date someone who would say yes to that kind of invitation ... isn't he supposed to be more upscale than that?

This could be something you laugh about with your grandkids someday, you know.
The conversation was bland, nothing really memorable up to this point. You're right, I think I will write and just say that I don't think we will be a fit and thank him for his interest.

It would be a pretty risky move, as far as a first impressions go, to test me like this. If he were to tell me he wasn't serious and he was just testing me, I'd be turned off there as well. Don't make me jump through hoops. I'm a lap dog.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:17 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,425,008 times
Gas station? Was the laundromat all booked?

Old 06-11-2009, 12:49 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,639,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
It would be a pretty risky move, as far as a first impressions go, to test me like this. If he were to tell me he wasn't serious and he was just testing me, I'd be turned off there as well.
I agree. No one likes to be tested or be made to jump through hoops. That alone would be enough reason not to meet him.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:26 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,446,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by professorsenator View Post
A cup of coffee is the perfect first meet...not as long and intense as lunch but time enough to converse and get an initial impression. His gas station idea implies just a look at one another, which suggests to me an interest in primarily a physical relationship.
I don't care much for those coffee dates either. I spend all that time getting dressed up, driving to the coffee joint and back, for a man to spend $1.50 on me. It just doesn't feel right.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:34 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,170,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
I don't care much for those coffee dates either. I spend all that time getting dressed up, driving to the coffee joint and back, for a man to spend $1.50 on me. It just doesn't feel right.
Sorry, I have to agree with that...if you can't even spring for lunch or diner, forget it!!! I never pick particulary expensive places to meet at...but I'm not going to get all dressed up to meet for a $1.50 cup of coffee..I don't even drink coffee!!! lol...Already cost me $70 to get my hair colored the other day, and the mani/pedi I'm getting tomorrow is another $25 plus the clothes for my date tomorrow night..if he tried to get me to go out for coffee, I'd be pissed!!

One guy wanted me to drive all the way to his town (70 miles round trip, btw) for a cup of coffee...Ummmmm..no I don't think so!! lol..

Old 06-11-2009, 01:50 PM

2,472 posts, read 4,213,260 times
You could sit down and have coffee at some gas stations. Usually the coffee there is better than Starbucks or other chains.

In all seriousness, this guy sounds like a weirdo and you should probably take your own advice and tell him "thanks, but no thanks." I could understand if he told you immediately afterwards (in the same email) that it was a joke. Even if he's trying to see if you think it's funny, it's still a really strange thing to say to someone you haven't met.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:53 PM

I might have a caramel macchiato once a year, if that, so I'm not drawn to Starbucks. Plus it is usually pretty crowded so it's hard to really have a comfortable discussion there. Still it is an acceptable place to meet. I prefer a larger place with more room for privacy. I usually meet after 1:30 for that reason, traffic is milder and the place is somewhat empty.

I am with the others on taking the time to make yourself presentable and meeting for something so bland. We don't have to order a big meal; an appetizer would do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships