Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 09:00 PM

142 posts, read 279,956 times

Advertisements

No honey, you are not uncomfortable with his race. You are afraid of getting an adverse reaction. This is a rational well founded fear. To put this simply, in effect your family slapped you emotionally and deeply hurt you. To counteract this you need to first introduce your husband to people you know are open minded and fair. This will produce positive strokes and help ease your fear. Your fear is a flight or fight response. Standing still is killing your stomach I'd bet. Take your adrenaline(sp?) and throw a party. Smile till your face feels like it's frozen that way and grab your beautiful husband's arm and drag him to meet every one you are afraid of. Dare anybody to give you grief. You will be admired and respected for standing proud with your man and let's not forget envied. Please pick up some basic books on people management. I'm studying to be a store manager. And what I've learned so far how been helpful in me managing my behavior so I'm more respected and I'm happier because I've gained self-respect also. You're focusing on "them". Focus on yourself and the respect from "them" will follow.

Can anybody else help me out along these lines? I think my writing is a bit rough. But I'm sure I am on the right track. Anybody?

Make y'all a deal. Everybody that doesn't respond acknowledges I'm Queen of the world. What's that? You already knew that? And you didn't even buy me a present?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 09:14 PM

1,293 posts, read 3,189,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
There are those of us who grew up without prejudice. My family had problems , but this wasn't one of them. To say anyone who doesn't have prejudice an is a liar, well, not a fair thing to say.
You're joking right? I recall a couple of nights where I was approached by a couple of rather hot, IMO, black women, think the ire of some of the guys in there wasn't raised?

People are tribal by nature, they identify closer to what they know in the mirror no matter what the race, it's only by 'tolerance' that others socialize, and then are accepted as part of that 'tribe'.

There are quite a few good books on the subject.

In the end, you should just date those that are a good match, regardless of race, but some people just don't see past it, others only see FOR it.

Then there's me, I'll geronimo any women that's cute and intelligent, could give a crap what any friend or relative might think when I'm getting some good loving and the "O-face" from that.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:30 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times
Sorry, I'm not joking. People wanting to be with others, like themselves, and prejudice? Maybe it's me, I just see it as two seperate issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships