Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 10:43 AM

4,978 posts, read 9,514,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttz View Post
Yes I knew she smoked, but I ASSumed she smoked like most people. Up to say half a pack to a pack maybe? Not her. 3 solid packs a day, lit one up every ~20 minutes by the clock when she wasn't chain smoking them. I only saw her once a week for several weeks before I found this out. Yes I should of ran at that point... I have seen the health consequences of her habit so far and she will suffer if she does not stop soon...

The second hand smoke you are getting from her must be wrecking your lungs.
And you must smell like a chimney after being around her.

It is important for us to recognize what we think is important to us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 03:31 PM
ttz ttz started this thread

677 posts, read 1,666,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
The second hand smoke you are getting from her must be wrecking your lungs.
And you must smell like a chimney after being around her.

It is important for us to recognize what we think is important to us.
I am not a doctor to know what all damage SHS causes to a non smoker's lungs but I do know it is not good to breathe it in. I now stay away from her as much as I can when she smokes, and asked her to not smoke in the car with me. Subsequently she now has cut down alot when she is with me as she knows I can't stand it. So that is good. I do know she smells really bad after she smokes but I don't think I do but I could be wrong!

And you are right, it is very important to me to be with someone who values their life, and wants to live healthy and wants to be around for as long as possible. Being a heavy smoker does not allow this and that is why I have such a hard time dealing with this. So if I want her to be healthy and around longer I am seen as trying to change her, then so be it I am trying to change her! I should be thanked by her and her family for the positive change! LOL

Old 06-15-2009, 03:40 PM

1,293 posts, read 3,189,905 times
Quote:
And you are right, it is very important to me to be with someone who values their life, and wants to live healthy and wants to be around for as long as possible. Being a heavy smoker does not allow this and that is why I have such a hard time dealing with this. So if I want her to be healthy and around longer I am seen as trying to change her, then so be it I am trying to change her! I should be thanked by her and her family for the positive change! LOL
While I agree it's good to want to help, and re-inforce a positive habitual change. There is a point where I'd simply wanna pimp-slap you for it, and might actually wear down my life-span further from the stress of you being uber-nag.

Old 06-15-2009, 04:29 PM

4,498 posts, read 6,316,380 times
Quote:
Thank you! I now wonder is it the Non Smokers that only see it this way?!??

No, I am a non smoker but I wouldn't get involved with someone who smoked that heavily and didn't have the decency to not do it around me. If I did CHOOSE to be with a smoker I wouldn't feel justified in then getting my knickers in a twist over him smoking. You don't take on a relationship expecting that the other person will change the things that you don't like about them.

In the situation at hand, as I said, you need to make a decision and make that decision under the assumption that she won't change.

Last edited by Lady Ice; 06-15-2009 at 05:13 PM..

Old 06-15-2009, 05:08 PM

23 posts, read 28,721 times
ttz, did you even READ your other thread? Why are you back here asking the SAME QUESTION?

Yes sometimes life sucks. Sometimes we have to leave people we love because of deal breaker things like this. I'm in the middle of doing it myself. You can either live with her smoking or not.

If you can - great! Shut up about it and let the girl make her own choices. If you can't? Print out a bunch of info on quitting smoking and hand it to her as you tell her goodbye.

It sucks that she is making that choice, BUT IT IS HER CHOICE. You can only control YOUR actions. There is no way to bully, beg or bribe her into changing. Move on. There are enough fish in the sea that you will find one that doesn't smell like a chimney.

Old 06-15-2009, 05:15 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,815,510 times
I haven't read any responses to this thread. Honestly, you need to quit dating her. She either can't quit, or won't quit. You can't stand it, you can't tolerate it. You need to determine if this is a deal breaker. It sounds like it is to me.

You need to move on.

Old 06-17-2009, 04:14 PM

2,514 posts, read 4,954,564 times
Quote:
I find myself in a deadlock and don't know what to do! Me and my gf have been having some serious problems, mainly stemming from her Nicotine addiction. ...
I just cannot handle her heavy smoking anymore and she cannot quit her 21 year habit. ........
Any sound advice on what we can do is welcomed! I know the quick and easy solution is to just end it and move on! But we really don't want to do that.

Pick your poison: booze, heroin, nicotine, et al. Addiction is addiction is addiction. What won't kill her today from her addiction, will kill her eventually, unless she commits to getting off the crap. Why should you wait around when waiting thus far hasn't even given you a glimmer of hope?

I am someone that loved an addict and buried him because of his addiction. I knew I should have split but instead, I hung on too long - just long enough to pick out the casket. I am also someone that misses my aunt daily - she died from smoking-induced emphysema. I am currently watching my sister and a close friend race to the finish line with COPD. They are both writing out their wills & final plans...and they are both still smoking.

So do what you want - it's only your life after all, your quality of life and the happiness found within. One of the best things about happiness & quality of life is that you get to share it with someone who wants to give it back in kind.

If you decide to stay, remember the years you will lose to this addiction. And have a good suit set aside for the funeral service.

Old 06-17-2009, 04:33 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,829,023 times
Take her in for accupuncture. It works.

Old 06-17-2009, 06:15 PM

1,293 posts, read 3,189,905 times
Ya, heroin is the same as nicotine...

You can get lung cancer, colon, brain aneurysm, stroke, car accident, you name it from doing EVERYTHING right, and still pick out a casket.

This philosphy I seriously don't get. If you love them, it wouldn't change jack leaving, and the habit really doesn't effect your relationship, what's with the normal rationalization anymore of leaving before they die?

I just don't get it. Would you have been a better person having left them to die? Do you regret being with them until the end? Seriously, wtf?

Old 06-17-2009, 06:33 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
My boyfriend knew my anti-smoking sentiments when we got together. He did not smoke at the time. After we had been together for more than a year, he resurrected a pre-me smoking habit, which did NOT sit well with me. When it became apparent how much it affected our relationship, he quit.

I'm not stupid. I know he'll probably start again...maybe many times. It's an addiction not easily broken for the long-term, and he enjoys smoking and didn't WANT to quit, but he did for the sake of our relationship. But quitting tends to only be permanent when the person genuinely no longer wants to smoke. It took my dad forty years and a health scare, before the desire to be a smoker ceased, and when it did, he quit. But it took his fear of being seriously sick to outweigh his jonesing for a smoke.

My thought is that if my boyfriend wants a relationship with me, he'll keep making the effort, cravings be damned. If he doesn't, than the smoking is more important to him than the relationship, and why would I stay, were that the case?

I didn't dump him because he lapsed, although many people would have, when confronted with something that supposedly wasn't an issue when they signed on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships