U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 09:54 AM

680 posts, read 728,777 times
It's not wrong to be attracted to anyone or anything. This includes being attracted to animals, dolls, trees, children, Alzheimer's sufferers, amputees, hermaphrodites and aliens.

What matters is that you do no harm to another. Animals, children and Alzheimer's sufferers are not capable of giving informed consent AND they can be harmed by someone acting on the attraction. Dolls and trees don't care what you do with them, so have at it (but spare us the details ). Amputees, hermaphrodites and aliens are all specific cases where you need to make sure they can and do give informed consent before you proceed to indulge your attraction. Once again, spare us the details unless you make it with an alien, in which case we'd all like to know Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!?!?!

Many here would argue that it's "wrong" to feel attraction toward some or all the above. If thoughts can be "wrong" then we are all guilty every day, many times a day, of many different crimes. Your mind is the final frontier of freedom, enjoy it before the government figures out how to read and control it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 09:56 AM

5,148 posts, read 1,473,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
sierraAZ wrote:

No, but if you look at that first link you posted and check out how small the variations really are between people it really doesn't amount to much at all. If you were to take an X-ray of a very heavy person and a very thin person of about the same height and compare their bone structure you wouldn't see much difference and the thin person could just as easily have a slightly larger frame than the heavy person. The point is that obesity is not the result of having huge bones.
Read up on somatotypes. The Varieties of Human Physicque by William Sheldon should clear things up.

I don't know the rules of quoting on here...so you'll have to look it up yourself.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:12 AM

7,917 posts, read 10,948,082 times
JSizzle225 wrote:
Quote:
Read up on somatotypes. The Varieties of Human Physicque by William Sheldon should clear things up.
I'm not suggesting that there isn't genetic variation in human beings. Obviously there is but you're not going to find some 500 pound guy who has the bone structure of a woolly mammoth and it's just not accurate to state that people who are heavier than average have larger bones, they don't.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:27 AM

42,851 posts, read 51,298,605 times
Quote:
sierraAZ wrote:

No, but if you look at that first link you posted and check out how small the variations really are between people it really doesn't amount to much at all. If you were to take an X-ray of a very heavy person and a very thin person of about the same height and compare their bone structure you wouldn't see much difference and the thin person could just as easily have a slightly larger frame than the heavy person. The point is that obesity is not the result of having huge bones.
You know, having small bones myself, I can certainly notice people with much larger bones!

As far as the fat, I'm not skinny, so I'm perfectly aware that what I have over the bones is meat and fat. However, if I decide to become skinny, I can, while some people can't. My mother, for instance, had such big hip bones that she could never, ever, have a small rear end, even if she didnít have an ounce of fat on it. So did her 2 brothers. This is even more unfortunate for men. Luckily, I didn't inherit their bone structure.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:30 AM

19,023 posts, read 12,784,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
You know, having small bones myself, I can certainly notice people with much larger bones!

As far as the fat, I'm not skinny, so I'm perfectly aware that what I have over the bones is meat and fat. However, if I decide to become skinny, I can, while some people can't. My mother, for instance, had such big hip bones that she could never, ever, have a small rear end, even if she didnít have an ounce of fat on it. So did her 2 brothers. This is even more unfortunate for men. Luckily, I didn't inherit their bone structure.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
JSizzle225 wrote:

I'm not suggesting that there isn't genetic variation in human beings. Obviously there is but you're not going to find some 500 pound guy who has the bone structure of a woolly mammoth and it's just not accurate to state that people who are heavier than average have larger bones, they don't.
Well, it would be common sense that people that are heavier than average would have a larger frame. Bones weigh a lot. It's not a blatant excuse to chuck fat around though...mostly because excessive fat is so unhealthy.

My wrist is a little above 8 inches around. That puts me firmly in the "large frame" category. The GVT says at 6'2" I should weight 155 lbs. I haven't weighed that since 8th grade. I played football at a top weight of 215 lbs and that was with 10% or lower of bodyfat. The lowest I could ever see myself weight is 190lbs...anything below that I'd have to waste off a ton of muscle or lose bone.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:51 AM

sierraAZ wrote:
Quote:
I also have a small frame. It was strange on my Dad's side of the family that the men were always thin but the women were very heavy. Even though I'm not a big guy I've always found women who would be considered to be overweight to be attractive as long as it's in proportion. I really think it's too bad that the fashion industry promotes the idea that women should be so thin. There are very few women who have the genetics to look that way and eating disorders can be the result of trying to.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:05 PM

JSizzle225 wrote:
Quote:
Well, it would be common sense that people that are heavier than average would have a larger frame.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that when someone gets fatter their bones don't get bigger. A person with a small frame like myself could easily become obese just as a person with a larger frame could be as thin as a rail.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:
JSizzle225 wrote:

I guess what I'm trying to say is that when someone gets fatter their bones don't get bigger. A person with a small frame like myself could easily become obese just as a person with a larger frame could be as thin as a rail.
I bet their weight bearing bones would become bigger only from carrying more weight. If weight lifting causes bones to be denser...I would assume being over weight also does that to the hips, low back, tibia/fibula and femur.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:11 PM

42,851 posts, read 51,298,605 times
Quote:
I really think it's too bad that the fashion industry promotes the idea that women should be so thin.
Oh, what the fashion industry in particular promotes is definitely disgusting skeletons right out of Osvientzim (Auschwitz)! I subscribe to Elle Decor and some months ago thought it wasn't a bad idea to also get Elle for another 5 bucks. I wish I hadn't... It's totally and utterly mind-boggling and gagging to look at its pages! And no, I don't envy these models one bit! I have zero desire to be a sick-looking walking clothes-hanger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships