U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 07:38 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,267,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoNE View Post
No way, no how, never. Way too creepy for me.
I completely agree. I can't imagine what would compel a person to choose that line of work, and I wouldn't want to have anything to do with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 07:45 PM

5,004 posts, read 5,055,068 times
My old boss's boyfriend was a mortician, and works at a funeral home again. He's studying to be a funeral director (don't ask me studying what, probably all the laws and rules, since he knows all about the bodies).

Also, he works for the mortuary and cemetary that has Karen Carpenter's remains buried there. He assisted in Kelsey Grammar's mother's funeral. Evidently there's quite a few famous people buried there.

But no, I couldn't do that work and I don't think I would want to date someone who did it, either. "Did you wash your hands?"

Old 06-15-2009, 07:49 PM

43,862 posts, read 26,316,351 times
I don't see why it would be a big deal. Morticians not only provide a great service, but they are excellent with understanding/dealing with the pains of others. Therefore, they are sensitive and thoughtful. They also make good money.....regardless of any economy problems.

Their clients keep coming and coming..........or would that be going and going???? LOL!

Old 06-15-2009, 08:30 PM

440 posts, read 455,266 times
Ok, I would be one of the creepy people wanting to tag along to watch him work (assuming I didn't know any of the dead folk). I think being that close to death would make a person thoughtful and appreciative of the life they have, and less naive about mortality. It gets my philosophical juices flowing just thinking about it...

Old 06-15-2009, 11:32 PM

1,667 posts, read 1,948,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I don't think I could. I couldn't even watch 6 feet under.
and wouldn't you be afraid to sleep too soundly?

Old 06-16-2009, 12:42 AM

550 posts, read 774,170 times
whats up with this thing about people handling dead people? Its not like you would automaticly say no to the guy/girl who sells meat at the local mall?

Old 06-16-2009, 02:50 AM

13,039 posts, read 14,644,198 times
Of course, it's just another job. We all need Morticians at some point, a job which requires maturity, and to be a responsible human being. It is a very important and much maligned job and I cannot understand this horror people seem to have about a natural process like death.

I really don't see what the problem is . As an Archaeologist/Anthropologist I have dealt with many skeletons and corpses ( at autopsies where it is useful to be to learn all the workings and physilogical "architecture" of the human body).

We all have bodies, we all live and we all die. Our bodies are all the same, fascinating and repugnant in often equal measures and a Mortician is a responsibly position as well as one of trust. Morticians are there to ensure a smooth funeral and treat bodies with great respect, often enabling families to access a sense of closure and peace about what it often the most difficult and traumatic event of our lives.

Why should anyone find a Mortician less appealing than a Doctor or for that matter any other profession ? I would much rather date a Mortician than a celebrity. A Mortician performs a useful , important and invaluable service to mankind. A celebrity is simply a leech on society.

It is as though some people are afraid of their own mortality and the reality of the way our bodies will all go. Every single human being without exception ( unless flash frozen) will undergo various degrees of putrefaction and decay. Simple biology and not one of us can escape that.

To have someone who can respectfully help us with the process is hugely helpful and Morticians should be given far more respect than they are.

Why anyone would let a great guy/girl go because they deal with dead bodies is quite beyond me. Love and Happiness is not that easy to find and if it comes in the guise of a Mortician then so be it.

It is not as though a Mortician will be less loving, clean, faithfull, intelligent, reliable , sensitive. loyal etc... They are human beings like all of us.

Old 06-16-2009, 04:36 AM

2,174 posts, read 4,863,058 times
Somebody has to do it. As long as enough people need their services and they have job security I have no problem with it.
I don't want to be the one that they need to find to work on the next day to stay in business.

Old 06-16-2009, 06:06 AM

399 posts, read 525,457 times
Oh, I went out with one a couple of times - we didn't get to have sex b/c he went back to his ex-boyfriend. If I'd known he was gonna do that, I would've boned him when I had the chance.

Old 06-16-2009, 06:14 AM

20,771 posts, read 18,014,956 times
Yes, I think I'd be okay with it. They're just bodies. It would be a little weird for me at first, but I think I'd get over it.

Now, if he wanted me to take a cold shower and then lie very still with my eyes closed while he made love to me, I would run away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships