U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 11:43 AM

1,087 posts, read 1,972,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Mizz Pittsburgh View Post
I've never dated one. There aren't many up here where I live. And, this one is far from the stereotypical image you see on TV with the dreads and stuff. He looks like a Corporate professional businessman...short ceasar very well-groomed haircut. Hazel eyes. I guess he was coming from work, because he had on a suit and tie...but once he opened his mouth, that accent had me like........he said he hails from Kingston.

I posed this question on another board I post on, and the majority are saying DON'T DO IT! Calling them everything from possessive, to controlling, to being BUG-A-BOO'S.....

Well I haven't dated any Jamaican man, otherwisde I would be considered a "Baty Bwoy" so I am not sure of their possesive nature.

As far as "Dining at the Y" I couldn't tell ya either, but I think the whole sterotype applies to all black men.

I would say talk to him, give it a try.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:49 AM

7,826 posts, read 4,786,824 times
Since he's not the stereotypical Jamaican in many ways, he very well could break the mold in relationships as well. Even if Jamaican men are known to be possessive, this guy may be different. For what it's worth, I'm betting he's actually an American from Philly who has found if he puts on a fake accent, he gets more action.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:50 AM

7,826 posts, read 4,786,824 times
One more thing, I think regardless of how this goes, you should definitely make at least one sex tape with him.

Old 06-18-2009, 02:43 PM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 2,062,012 times
Dont worry about stereotypes judge him on his own actions...and if you have a problem with something discuss it with him..so that he knows that you dont like something and has a chance to change it.

Old 06-18-2009, 03:12 PM

2,825 posts, read 8,756,476 times
Are you a US Citizen? Does he need a green card? I dated Jamaican men years ago - oh, such smooth talkers and flirters. Never met a one that was faithful.

Old 06-18-2009, 03:25 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,972,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
Are you a US Citizen? Does he need a green card? I dated Jamaican men years ago - oh, such smooth talkers and flirters. Never met a one that was faithful.
Me neither

Old 06-18-2009, 03:34 PM

727 posts, read 1,221,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
Yes very possessive with a certain green plant.
Ahhhhhh thats not true...always...but coming from a Jamaican bwoi such as myself we arent all like that. (Even though only my moms Jamaican)

The going downtown is def. a myth!!

Old 06-18-2009, 03:40 PM

727 posts, read 1,221,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eger View Post
Ras Clot!!!
Seckle don mon! We dont all speak patois either......That speak was banned in my household.

Old 06-18-2009, 03:44 PM

2,043 posts, read 3,169,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
People have been saying this a lot on my other board, too. Someone even sent me a private message about this. Said they're good men and will take care of you, but they will almost always have another "main".....

Yes I am a U.S. citizen. I'm assuming he doesn't need a green card since he's been living in Pittsburgh for 3 years working for a big name U.S. company.

Old 06-18-2009, 03:52 PM

4,116 posts, read 2,008,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Mizz Pittsburgh View Post
...anyone ever have any experiences with them?

I had a Jamaican guy approach me the other day. Handsome. Sexy accent. Been living here for 3 years. Works at a big name company. Very professional, corporate type of guy. Seems like a nice guy. He's divorced. We've spoken on the phone twice. He's very straight-forward, like me, but after speaking with him, I'm starting to have second thoughts...without going into too much detail, he just seems very aggressive and is giving me vibes of being a bit controlling.

The stereotype is that Jamaican men are VERY possessive. Just wondered if any gals have had any experiences with them they'd like to share.
I met one at a Reggae Lounge one night. We hit it off right away. He wasn't very possessive because he was a NOMAD and a HUGE PLAYER
He was also a DREAD and DID NOT GO DOWNTOWN .

One of my best friends is from Trinidad and hanging out with her and a couple of her men at the Reggae Lounge and parties I have noiced that they are STRAIGHT UP WOMANIZERS, a lot DO NOT GO DOWN SOUTH especially the DREADS but they do know how to FINANCIALLY TAKE CARE OF THEIR WOMEN (all 20 of them they may have ) They love their GANJA but being possessive and aggressive never seen that from any of the men my friend has dated or myself hanging out with her and meeting Caribbean men from the islands.

Good Luck let us know what happens
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships