U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 12:40 PM

471 posts, read 911,241 times

Advertisements

I've always heard the rule about 3 days. You get a person's phone number and you're supposed to wait to call. You're supposed to do this in a certain time frame. Apparently science along the way has determined that 2 days or less make you seem desperate and 4 days or more make you seem uninterested.

So, is there any legitimite fact to this? Or do you follow a beat to your own drum?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 12:45 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,506 posts, read 17,783,065 times
I once waited two months to call a guy who walked up to me and handed me his business card. I wasn't disinterested, I had just started college and was very engrossed in what I was doing. When I needed to unwind, I finally called him. I was pleasantly surprised. I couldn't believe he actually still wanted to see me. LOL

Old 06-19-2009, 12:55 PM

1,293 posts, read 2,898,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john-ever-learning View Post
I've always heard the rule about 3 days. You get a person's phone number and you're supposed to wait to call. You're supposed to do this in a certain time frame. Apparently science along the way has determined that 2 days or less make you seem desperate and 4 days or more make you seem uninterested.

So, is there any legitimite fact to this? Or do you follow a beat to your own drum?
If you're 18-22 perhaps. Other than that to me it's just a lame-ass game, you're interested or you're not. I call the next day usually. Just comes across as being a man-**** in that case if you wait the "required" amount, or some married dude trying to pull a fast in and outtie.

People are such pusses anymore. Interested? Act like it for god's sake, in any case if I gave mine and didn't hear squat for a week unless there's a message she was in some horrific car-accident or the like, then I wouldn't bother to answer or reply after, as that's insanely disrespectful. Fairly obvious in my view that's not someone I wish to waste my time with, as she wasn't even a smattering of what I'd hoped, regardless.

Old 06-19-2009, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
I once waited two months to call a guy who walked up to me and handed me his business card. I wasn't disinterested, I had just started college and was very engrossed in what I was doing. When I needed to unwind, I finally called him. I was pleasantly surprised. I couldn't believe he actually still wanted to see me. LOL

How did things turn out?

Old 06-19-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynec613 View Post
If you're 18-22 perhaps. Other than that to me it's just a lame-ass game, you're interested or you're not. I call the next day usually. Just comes across as being a man-**** in that case, or some married dude trying to pull a fast in and outtie.

People are such pusses anymore. Like or don't like, in either case if I gave mine and didn't hear squat for a week unless there's a message she was in some horrific car-accident or the like, then I wouldn't bother to answer or reply after, as that's insanely disrespectful.

Like you I tend to call the next day. If i'm interested I'm interested. Now I don't sound all giddy and excited like a little school girl. Just calling to say it was nice meeting you and if they want to hang out.

Old 06-19-2009, 01:01 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,506 posts, read 17,783,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john-ever-learning View Post
How did things turn out?
Oh, we dated for a couple months and that was it. We weren't each other's type. He later said, 'The way you carry yourself, your confidence caught my attention'. Good line. LOL Actually, I was glad I dated him b'c hearing that gave me confidence. I don't know what he was seeing before that.

Old 06-19-2009, 01:12 PM

2,043 posts, read 4,498,195 times
The next day, at a reasonable time of day, is fine.

I've exchanged phone numbers with guys before. who called me as soon as they got in the car. We'd be in the same spot, exchange numbers, he'll say he's leaving, and I'll be like 'okay, call me'...next thing you know, my phone is going off and its him calling me from his car on his way to his next stop while I'm still in the same spot we met in..........I can't stand thirsty acting guys like that. Its a turn off, and it can cause you to never hear from me again.

Old 06-19-2009, 01:33 PM

296 posts, read 735,128 times
When I have received a number, I normally call within two days and expect the same. If a guy thinks that makes me appear desperate, then perhaps he's not what I'm looking for. I'm just trying to find out if he's worth my time and vice versa as soon as I can.

Old 06-19-2009, 01:47 PM

5,273 posts, read 12,406,637 times
Well, if he has money or is drop dead handsome, call his cell phone before he gets more than 10 feet away from you.

Otherwise, let your conscious be your guide (but when it comes to money or eye candy, scre& your conscious).

Old 06-19-2009, 01:56 PM

22,769 posts, read 26,198,481 times
Some people act like waiting implies you're "cool" or "too busy", and that this is a good thing -

In my view, you have momentum early on, you're fresh in each others' minds, so the next day (or day after that) is fine. A week is too long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships