Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 12:17 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,353,667 times

Advertisements

a situation which has been bothering me because it creeps me out:
this question is mostly for the ladies, although if CD's male population has any insight that would be good also...

have you ever known a guy who didn't seem to realize/notice that you were female? note, I'm not referring to interest or lack of, I'm referring to someone who acts as if & relates to you as if you are a guy.

not sure exactly how to explain this; figure it this way: if you're with a number of other people, whether they're people you know well or not, like co-workers/acquaintances/etc., and you're talking with these people, there is probably a very slight & natural change in your demeanor when you switch from talking to a person of one gender to the other. it's like a basic, natural, & probably unconscious acknowledgment that there's a difference between "your friend Joe" and "your friend Susan."
when a person doesn't acknowledge that there's a difference, doesn't even seem to realize it, what does that mean???

anyone ever experience this or possibly understand what it's about?

Old 06-20-2009, 12:20 PM

306 posts, read 530,646 times

Old 06-20-2009, 12:24 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,638,147 times
Can you give some examples? Does he say things like, "Dude, I just took a righteous sh*t; you should check it out!"??? Or, does he lean in when you're walking together and say, "Hottie 5 o'clock!!! Bro, check that out!" What norms does he break?

Old 06-20-2009, 12:24 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
I don't think it means anything. It just means the guy is capable of having girl pals. It just means that when he has to move some furniture, he's just as likely to call you if he knows you're off work that day. Some women like that kind of guy around because they'll also call on the guy to help them move furniture when they need help. It also means that guy's girlfriend really doesn't need to be jealous.

Old 06-20-2009, 12:32 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
have you ever known a guy who didn't seem to realize/notice that you were female? note, I'm not referring to interest or lack of, I'm referring to someone who acts as if & relates to you as if you are a guy.
Well, many monikers don't necessarily imply gender. I for one find it annoying, but it's people's free choice to go with whatever they want. Eventually, after reading some of their posts, you find their gender out. That's the case with most; however, there are some (very few) who deliberately avoid any gender reference and you may not know whether they're men or women for a long time. In my experience, it's mostly done by men. Again, I find it annoying, but it's their preference.

Old 06-20-2009, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Can you give some examples? Does he say things like, "Dude, I just took a righteous sh*t; you should check it out!"??? Or, does he lean in when you're walking together and say, "Hottie 5 o'clock!!! Bro, check that out!" What norms does he break?
yeah, there have been a few " " comments like that... but what I mean is he doesn't seem to grasp that there's any difference...

this is how it started: one day I went to visit a former neighbor, an older guy I'll call Dave, & this other guy was there talking to Dave. I walked in, Dave introduced us, & this guy goes "oh I'm just here asking Dave's advice about women"... well, he spoke to Dave, he spoke to me, & it hit me immediately that he actually did not seem to realize that there was any difference (gender) between Dave and me... creeped me out then, & has ever since. I mean it makes me quite uncomfortable.

to top it off, I've noticed when he talks to other women, whether he likes or dislikes them the "unconscious acknowledgment" that he's talking to women is present, so it can't be some kind of "anti-female hang-up."

Old 06-20-2009, 12:53 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,638,147 times
Tia, you're right; it's weird. Maybe the next time this happens you should invite him to a discussion with the gals about menstrual cycles or the change. See how that works. I know that would work wonders in changing my approach to you, if I were treating you like one of the dudes.

Old 06-20-2009, 12:54 PM

279 posts, read 593,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
yeah, there have been a few " " comments like that... but what I mean is he doesn't seem to grasp that there's any difference...
I'm still a bit confused. Do you actually think that he believes you're a male?

Old 06-20-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BangBangShrimp View Post
I'm still a bit confused. Do you actually think that he believes you're a male?
no, I don't see any way he could "believe" that- I'm just average-looking, & there's nothing wrong with his eyesight

Old 06-20-2009, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Tia, you're right; it's weird. Maybe the next time this happens you should invite him to a discussion with the gals about menstrual cycles or the change. See how that works. I know that would work wonders in changing my approach to you, if I were treating you like one of the dudes.
I don't know if I could do that with a straight face

maybe I should add: this is one of those environments where "guys stick to guys & women stick to women"-- I'd call it the lower-class redneck mentality... the concept of platonic friends like I've had all my life doesn't exist here... that's why I've never approached him directly about the subject, it'd most likely be "taken the wrong way"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships