Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 06:33 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,383,949 times

Advertisements

well, sometimes i don't feel normal. I think the major thing that causes this is since i don't feel sharp sometimes. i think there is something wrong with my brain, but i want to get it sorted out so i can live a normal life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 07:09 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,143,924 times
I don't feel I defy gender roles, but I generally feel like a square peg in a round hole. I feel a bit out of place in American society.

I am quiet, imaginative, usually reserved, non-competitive, spontaneous, like intellectual things (ie. art, books), and keep high moral standards.

People are expected to be outgoing, talkative, task-oriented, pragmatic, competitive, structured, mostly into sports/mainstream pop culture, and to bend ethics to get ahead.

I know I come off as a bit offbeat to most. Sometimes I am happy & proud to be unique, other times it just makes life difficult.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:12 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
I don't feel I defy gender roles, but I generally feel like a square peg in a round hole. I feel a bit out of place in American society.

I am quiet, imaginative, usually reserved, non-competitive, spontaneous, like intellectual things (ie. art, books), and keep high moral standards.

People are expected to be outgoing, talkative, task-oriented, pragmatic, competitive, structured, mostly into sports/mainstream pop culture, and to bend ethics to get ahead.

I know I come off as a bit offbeat to most. Sometimes I am happy & proud to be unique, other times it just makes life difficult.
We are more the same then you'd possibly imagine.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:15 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
So, I don't know, maybe you're better off, sierra.
Oh, I don't trust ANYONE in such situations. Not that their intentions would be necessarily malicious, but they may not be able to do what they claim they can do.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:56 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,902,308 times
What's normal anyway?

If normal is being able to check off boxes from a pre-determined list of stereotypes and societal expectations, then no, I am not normal AND more than pleased not to be.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:59 PM

904 posts, read 2,873,183 times
I've seen some other posts on here to this effect, and I always see them as sort of confusing. No offense or anything - it just seems strange to me that someone who is a man and not into those thing would be considered "abnormal." Most men I know, both family members and friends, are not like that. Sure, they may have a few of those traits/interests, but not all, or even a majority.

I sometimes think that this society has lost track of what being "a man" is all about. I'm not really sure myself...but I know it's got nothing to do with horsepower, weightlifting, casual sex or misogyny.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:01 PM

1,293 posts, read 3,189,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
What's normal anyway?

If normal is being able to check off boxes from a pre-determined list of stereotypes and societal expectations, then no, I am not normal AND more than pleased not to be.
*points* freaky-deeky! That's sooooo not normal! Be your inner lemming. Feel the sheepdom flow through you.

(And no, not in the lonely hills sheepherder kinda way either, sickos!)

Old 06-21-2009, 08:06 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,902,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynec613 View Post
*points* freaky-deeky! That's sooooo not normal! Be your inner lemming. Feel the sheepdom flow through you.

(And no, not in the lonely hills sheepherder kinda way either, sickos!)

I can't! I have a deeply and firmly buried rebel button that is want to go off at inopportune moments.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:08 PM

1,293 posts, read 3,189,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
I can't! I have a deeply and firmly buried rebel button that is want to go off at inopportune moments.
I had one of those once. I replaced it with the office depot easy button. I'm a guy, it's how I like it.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:08 PM

709 posts, read 1,767,467 times
Some people say I am not normal because I would love to have more than 1 wife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships