Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 06:09 AM

240 posts, read 1,289,553 times

Advertisements

I met a guy 5 weeks ago and we hit it off. He is very nice and smart.
We have developed a little friendship and I look forward to getting to know him better. Then last week, he invited me to his house to watch tv.
Before that we had met for dinner and worked out together. I had not been to his house yet. Anyway,I go stepping in the house and he has a 7ft boa constrictor snake. I stopped dead in my tracks. It was locked up but I just don't know. I hate to stop being his friend because he has an exotic pet. I did talk to him about it and told him I am afraid of snakes and he said he understood most people are afraid of snakes. He said it will stay locked up. I told him he can come to my house to hang out. What do you guys think of this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 06:28 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,426,017 times
No big deal, I certainly wouldn't let that come between or ruin your relationship.

Old 06-22-2009, 06:37 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,717,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorpe View Post
We have developed a little friendship and I look forward to getting to know him better. Then last week, he invited me to his house to watch tv.
Before that we had met for dinner and worked out together. I had not been to his house yet. Anyway,I go stepping in the house and he has a 7ft boa constrictor snake. I stopped dead in my tracks. It was locked up but I just don't know. I hate to stop being his friend because he has an exotic pet. I did talk to him about it and told him I am afraid of snakes and he said he understood most people are afraid of snakes. He said it will stay locked up. I told him he can come to my house to hang out. What do you guys think of this?
You can get that snake charmer's pipe

Frankly, I have used it on Cobras and it's just a "piece of work". I thought it was the most amazing thing on the planet, then. Of course, the professional snake charmer taught me how. It's an art

Old 06-22-2009, 06:38 AM

496 posts, read 941,062 times
Here is my first thought that has any relevance (other than she's worried about his big snake *Freudian chuckle*): There are probably some other things he accepts that aren't inside the norm. He could be very interesting.

Here's the thing, though. What do *you* think of it? What really bothers you about it? Do you just have a visceral reaction to snakes and you can't stand being around them? Or do you wonder what it says about him?

Old 06-22-2009, 06:40 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,426,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazejen View Post
Here is my first thought that has any relevance (other than she's worried about his big snake *Freudian chuckle*): There are probably some other things he accepts that aren't inside the norm. He could be very interesting.

Here's the thing, though. What do *you* think of it? What really bothers you about it? Do you just have a visceral reaction to snakes and you can't stand being around them? Or do you wonder what it says about him?
Good points reps for you.

Old 06-22-2009, 06:41 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,717,817 times
I've always wanted to own a tiger

I know it's endangered, but if the Chinese can poach it so easily across the border, I can very well buy one.

Would this be a problem with people coming to my house?

Old 06-22-2009, 06:45 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,599,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorpe View Post
You gotta learn to love the step "child"; they come with the package.

Old 06-22-2009, 06:58 AM

240 posts, read 1,289,553 times
See that's the thing I think he could be a very interesting person who could expose me to different things. And I think the thing that scares me about the snake is I am afraid it could harm me. Maybe I should research boas and see how harmful they can really be to people. As for what it says about him I think nothing. I know other people who have owned snakes that just weren't as large as this. Actually,I have know several people with odd pets.....lol

Old 06-22-2009, 07:17 AM

1,382 posts, read 2,385,624 times
Is it a real reptile or a metaphor?

Old 06-22-2009, 07:39 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,626,809 times
As long as he respects your apprehension about reptiles I don't really see that as a deal-breaker. If he is a lovely guy who is kind and gentle then his choice of pet should not have much to do with it.
What should concern you most is how he treats his animals. I would observe his attitude to his pet and take from it the sort of person he might be...

My biggest concern strictly from a personal point of view ( and I do realise I am in a minority) is that I do not believe wild animals shoudl be pets, it upsets me to see animals taken from their natural environment purely for our pleasure. It seems utterly selfish and cruel. But as I said that would be MY reaction to it and I understand most people think it is OK.

I am a complete arachnophobic for example and yet I do feel terribly sorry for Tarentulas which some people consider suitable as pets.
A 7ft Boa Constrictor should be in a Jungle somewhere not in someone's living room. Rant over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships