Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 12:45 PM

35,932 posts, read 30,474,370 times

Advertisements

Times have changed. In my parents day this was perfectly acceptable. None of my uncles had their own place until they were married, nor did my father. One dated, found the one, proposed, married and found their own place. Usually living with one set of parents until they found their own place. Of course in those days it was unacceptable for an unwed couple to live together. I did have an aunt that didnt marry until later in life and she moved out with a roommate. I also have an uncle in his 80's that always has and still dose live with grandma. He isnt gay. He has had a gf as long as I remember that he sees on the weekends, but they never married.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 12:51 PM

1,668 posts, read 4,686,932 times
I'd date a man who was living with his extremely ultra wealthy mother who was about to go into a nursing home. :-)

yes, tacky tacky... i know

Old 06-23-2009, 12:52 PM

61,290 posts, read 87,094,098 times
over 30% of people college age live with their parents.
you could date me, i live alone, but women like younger men.
all i get is cougars pushing walkers.

Old 06-23-2009, 01:35 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,221,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
but women like younger men.
all i get is cougars pushing walkers.
So true...I've been getting hit on lately by women in their 40's and 50's. It's odd but kind of flattering.

Old 06-24-2009, 05:58 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,006,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
A man living with his mom -- not a good sign.
A man living on his own is no guarantee that the apron strings have been cut Just check out the stories of women who supposedly married "independent" men, only to find out later that they have to deal with MILs from hell. These women find that they come second in life to their husbands - mumsy still comes first

Forum title - Board Main - Forum listings

Old 06-24-2009, 08:31 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,429,177 times
It depends. If he's staying with his mom in order to reach a goal like finishing college, saving money to buy a house etc., or if he has recently lost a job, I would date him. If he's just mooching then no.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:44 AM

27,235 posts, read 27,299,311 times
I did, once. But he was a divorcee, a good dad who paid child support, a good worker, but just couldnt afford a place of his own by the time he paid his child support every month, so he rented a room from his ex-mother-in-law and since he got the kids every weekend they already had a room of their own too. He was also trying to go to school one night a week. It really wasnt by choice but it was lack of options. It may have been different if it was a 'mommys boy' type of situation. He was a good guy but eventually we both went different directions and our dating was only companionship, nothing more.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:46 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,546,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
I have looked into this topic and I have come to the conclusion that moving away from the people that love you the most is a North American middle/upper middle class mindset which largely evolved from the industrial age where people left the farms in search of work in the city. As a matter of fact, this is going on in China right now where thousands of young Chinese people are leaving the countryside to make a living (if you want to call it that) making shoes, cell phones and other appliances for the rest of the world. China is going through one of the largest migrations ever.

Anyhow, what Americans fail to realize is that life would be much easier and wealth would be more easily obtained if whole family/community would work together to support each other instead of the vicious cycle where each generation pays thousands of dollars for common knowledge and thousands more for a home that largely remains unoccupied because they are working.

Trust me, it's no coincidence that "the powers that be" have instilled into the masses the belief that young children need to leave home at 18 because if that were not the case the economy would be much smaller as nobody would be buying the appliances for the apartment, the military would have a much harder time recruiting, and corporations would have a much harder time finding young workers to exploit.
Interesting point, Morph.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:54 AM

33 posts, read 93,359 times
I think a single young guy still living at home with Mom is admirable. If you think about it, he may be savin some money, but I'm sure he's giving up alot too! Wild oats are hard to sow when Momma's cooking em' up for you at breakfast! Mom might need help with things too. You can't judge anyone for their choices when it comes to their family.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:15 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,069,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
It depends on circumstances.

Is he living their to save money (as is the case)? Is he living their to care for an elderly parent? does he only live their temp?

Living with folks isnt so much a problem. It is common in some cultures to be family oriented. others dont think the same way.

If she thinks he is "beneath her" then shes just sounds obnoxious and uppity. Let her find someone who she thinks will make her happy. But she can very well lose out on a great guy due to her own irrational prejudices. This guy is being financially responsible for crying out loud!!!

her loss
I agree completely. These days, esp with the economy the way it is, a lot of people of all ages are finding themselves in the uncomfortable position of starting over and some end up back at their parents while they re-establish themselves.

I knew a guy who was a late in life baby who lived with his parents because his dad had severe health issues. Typically, by the time his father passed, all of the parent's savings were gone and his Mother had no means to support herself so now he takes care of her. The guy has a PhD and is a college professor.

So which action makes him less attractive: foregoing the appearance of an "established" life, moving in with his parents and helping take care of his ill parent, then taking in his mother so that there only one household to support or constantly going back and forth to help with the ill parent and then supporting two households so he looks "established"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships