Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 03:12 PM

1,293 posts, read 3,189,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECG1951 View Post
I agree with you..a man should play the part of the man, he should be the backbone and the rock...but there are many man that do not want that anymore...I have only spoken maybe with 3 man..that think like you and Me...I wonder why?
You need to talk to more men? I know of no guy in a marriage, or any other relationship that isn't this. Now if by this you mean some stereotype John Wayne movie (yes, I used him because he used my first name, I'm biased), where it's over the top cheese, can work 40+ hours a week, has an education, can still Macguyver-his-own-house-together-handy in under a week from chewing gum and the neighbor's log pile, then ya, not there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 03:22 PM
ECG

42,606 posts, read 2,745,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynec613 View Post
You need to talk to more men? I know of no guy in a marriage, or any other relationship that isn't this. Now if by this you mean some stereotype John Wayne movie (yes, I used him because he used my first name, I'm biased), where it's over the top cheese, can work 40+ hours a week, has an education, can still Macguyver-his-own-house-together-handy in under a week from chewing gum and the neighbor's log pile, then ya, not there.
I said..I have only spoken to 3 man that think that way....the others that I have actually met think the women should do everything while they sit and watch...those types are for the birds..not for me.

Old 06-24-2009, 04:00 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,856,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
Of course, the biggest marriage-killers are the very things that cannot be "tested" or anticipated before you get married.
Most people should date at least two years prior to marriage to fully understand each other. No one wants to get into an argument over who left the toilet seat up or down.

Old 06-24-2009, 04:03 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,240,131 times
Women rights happened.

Old 06-24-2009, 04:04 PM

1,293 posts, read 3,189,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECG1951 View Post
I said..I have only spoken to 3 man that think that way....the others that I have actually met think the women should do everything while they sit and watch...those types are for the birds..not for me.
Don't know any of those guys...Even the Indian guys I work with are fairly active in their marriages from what I've noted so far.

Now the smelly coworker mentioned in another thread might be another story, if work is any indication he might fit that other category at home.

Old 06-24-2009, 04:14 PM

5,981 posts, read 13,121,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spanko75 View Post
What has happend to men? What happend to guys protecting their family, being the backbone of the family and such. Guys like Jon, from Kate & Jon or the ones you see on 'wife swap' or 'Super Nanny' are becoming way too common. There seems to be less and less of our Grandfathers' type of guy, where his hands were hard when needed, and caring when needed?
While I don't condone Jons behavior in the least bit, or anyone else who is unfaithful, it is important not to look at the past, with rose-colored glasses as they say.

The same tight-knit communities that used to be more typical a couple generations ago, while provided a firmer sense of right and wrong could also "look the other way" as well.

While there were many, many good men then, that fit that "grandfather" image, there were also those that went to the bar after work, and came home sometimes being abusive. In some communities women or children could do little, because if they reached out to neighbors, police, etc. and told them of any verbal or physical abuse, it may have been accepted that "they were being out of line and they probably deserved it."

This kind of thing did happen.
Any generation has its good and bad traits.

This is coming from someone who is just under 30 years old, but has a strong sense of recent/modern history and finds ways to understand the present.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:23 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,119,805 times
If a man is strong, he's considered domineering. If a man is respectful and sensitive, he's considered weak. Sounds like most women don't know what kind of man they want, if they want one at all.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:31 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthsideJacksonville View Post
If a man is strong, he's considered domineering. If a man is respectful and sensitive, he's considered weak. Sounds like most women don't know what kind of man they want, if they want one at all.
We do! We want strong, respectful, and sensitive! And good-looking, of course, lol!

Old 06-24-2009, 08:42 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Women basically decided they din't want that nay more;so culture changed. I see many men who don't want to marry because itsa to risk now days and can ruin your life with just one divorce. Don't agree if you pick right but there it is.I guess it went the way of the homemaker really.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:52 PM

1,301 posts, read 2,110,495 times
There's plenty of good men out there. You're just too good for any of them, I'm sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships