Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 09:07 AM

4,415 posts, read 2,938,422 times

Advertisements

I have this unrational anxiety or what feels like a phobia of ending relationships, and I don’t know why. Even if it’s just a month or two long. Because of this, I often date girls longer than I should because I can’t gather the courage to sit down and have the breakup conversation. It’s like I can’t get the words to come out of my mouth. I worry about hurting the other person or them getting mad at me. Is this abnormal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2019, 09:57 AM

16,961 posts, read 17,332,620 times
Yet, you continue to keep dating and breaking up, getting yourself in these situations.

IDK, but it seems like you got your phobia/anxiety under control.

Old 01-13-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Yet, you continue to keep dating and breaking up, getting yourself in these situations.

Well yes, I’m not going to give up dating to keep myself out of these breaking up situations.

Old 01-13-2019, 10:48 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,844,907 times
It's hard to end a relationship....even if it's a short-lived one. I think you just have the concern over hurting others like most of us do. I remember years ago crying over the fact that I'd need to break it off with someone....

Likely it gets a little easier over time. Best not to let a failing relationship go for longer than you are comfortable...makes it harder on both parties.

Old 01-13-2019, 11:03 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,244,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post

+1.

Select better relationships in the first place and don't drag it out.

Old 01-13-2019, 11:05 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,716,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Well yes, I’m not going to give up dating to keep myself out of these breaking up situations.
I think he means you need to work on this "phobia," otherwise you're just hurting others and wasting their time because you're too scared to cut it off.

Last edited by Auraliea; 01-13-2019 at 12:22 PM..

Old 01-13-2019, 11:34 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
I have this unrational anxiety or what feels like a phobia of ending relationships, and I don’t know why. Even if it’s just a month or two long. Because of this, I often date girls longer than I should because I can’t gather the courage to sit down and have the breakup conversation. It’s like I can’t get the words to come out of my mouth. I worry about hurting the other person or them getting mad at me. Is this abnormal?
If it's only a month, you can just say something to the effect that it's not a good fit for you, but you enjoyed meeting and getting to know them a little, thank you.

In one month, how many times do you typically date a person? Some people only go on 4 dates in that time, which is nothing; not even a "relationship". Some people go on 8 or 12, and are an "item" halfway through or in the later stage of that. Obviously, it's easier to let someone down from 4 dates than from 10 or 12, that have developed into a relationship to the point that emotions are more deeply involved.

More info needed.

Old 01-13-2019, 11:36 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
+1.

Select better relationships in the first place and don't drag it out.
And maybe don't rush into intimacy, so that there's less attachment on the other person's part. Take more time to get to know them first, and you may not even pursue a relationship in the first place, if you find incompatible aspects of their personality before you get more involved. There's less emotional wear and tear on both parties, that way.

If you can't handle the breakups, change your behavior. Change your dating m.o.

Old 01-13-2019, 11:57 AM

399 posts, read 220,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
And maybe don't rush into intimacy, so that there's less attachment on the other person's part. Take more time to get to know them first, and you may not even pursue a relationship in the first place, if you find incompatible aspects of their personality before you get more involved. There's less emotional wear and tear on both parties, that way.

If you can't handle the breakups, change your behavior. Change your dating m.o.
I'll agree with this. I've found 1 month dating relationships to be fairly easy to end when sex isn't in the picture yet.

Old 01-13-2019, 04:33 PM

It’s been 3 months with sex
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships