Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 10:03 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,000,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by musiclover47382 View Post
Whenever I tell potential dates about my future goals they give me negative feedback. For example, “who would ever go out with a nerdy neurologist” or “I don’t want to date someone who is going to be out at 3:00 AM to go do surgery”.
Who are you talking to that says things like that, teen-agers?

Personally, I wouldn't marry a doctor but only b'c I've worked closely with them for years and I always wondered, if they're like this at work all day, how are they at home--never mind, I don't want to know that bad. They start out wanting to save the world and thinking they can to becoming calloused to the suffering they see day in and day out. I admire and dread them at the same time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 10:13 AM

421 posts, read 2,533,756 times
Why do you think doctors like dating other doctors, it's because of that reason. Trust me, I'm a dentist and my social life was pretty much non-existent while in school. To people who weren't in the program they didn't understand, but other classmates were in the same position. I would never sacrifice dating over graduate school, not in a million years. I'm so glad I stuck with school and didn't have a life, trust me I'm living a better life now because of it.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:15 AM

8,064 posts, read 18,005,485 times
You've heard the old sayings about docs, right? They marry the first gal to help support them through the rigors of med. school/early practice and then trade that one in for a new wife befitting his station as a doctor. Obviously, it's not true in all cases but there is some validity in it. Docs have high divorce rates.

If that's the profession you want, then you need to give it your all. Skip the dependency on the first woman and stay single until your education and residencies are done. THEN, look for a mate. You will have no shortage of interested women, I'd think.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:24 AM

13,784 posts, read 26,245,461 times
Med school (for MD and DO) is 4 years with the last year shared in the residency program. The residency lasts between 1-3years (or is it 4?) and a fellowship is anywhere from 1-5 years.

You have plenty of time to worry about someone to have a relationship with.

DrSmiley was right. Most people will not understand the 36 hour shifts, studying, studying groups, or the expectations placed on you by your professors, peers and yourself.

Being single during med school may be the biggest gift you can ever give yourself.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:49 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,051,851 times
Quote:
I honestly love treating patients(kids especially) and watching them improve, though. It looks like I am a lost medical student on the dating scene. Maybe you can help me out? Which medical specialty out of the four(child neurology, laparoscopic surgery, pediatric surgery, oncology) would you be willing to date, possibly get into a serious relationship with? Any words of advice you have would be appreciated.
I'd date them all! Can we say 'CHING CHING'.....JACKPOT!

Old 06-25-2009, 11:55 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,653,670 times
For the record, as a guy, I'd actually prefer to.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:56 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,370,760 times
Quote:
Hmmm… It looks like 50% of men/women think long hours, 10+ years of schooling, massive debt from student loans, measly residency pay is a huge turn-off. The other 50% is like “yea, I would totally date a doctor”, and but seem like they are most attracted to the money/status. Looks like a loss/loss situation to me. Any more words of advice or comments?
If you consider having a rewarding career that you enjoy a "loss/loss" situation, you need to rethink your career goals. Looking at your posts I don't know why you even want to be a doctor if all you're worried about is how many dates you're going to have. You would actually change your major because your friends have better social lives than you? Maybe your friends are just more attractive. My advice would be to find another field to go into.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:58 AM

13,784 posts, read 26,245,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Mizz Pittsburgh View Post
I'd date them all! Can we say 'CHING CHING'.....JACKPOT!
After the school loans and malpractice insurance is paid and the hours worked are calculated docs don't make as much money as people may think.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:01 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,051,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
After the school loans and malpractice insurance is paid and the hours worked are calculated docs don't make as much money as people may think.
Oh really now....

Old 06-25-2009, 12:04 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,722,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Mizz Pittsburgh View Post
Oh really now....
Really.

You take out a quarter-million to pay for your bachelor's degree and medical school.

Then you work the next 6 or 7 years as a resident, 100 hour weeks for $50,000/year.

Once you finally are able to make real money, you're about 35 years old, and malpractice insurance premiums eat up any profit you might make in a private practice, while you pay off that debt. This doesn't even factor in what could happen to doctors' pay if the federal government nationalized the whole system.

This is why everybody says, don't be a doctor for the money; do it because you love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships