Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 01:30 PM

1,639 posts, read 5,099,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
I agree. The confidence that these men attain by using this approach is false confidence. It's derived from pretending to be something you're not. It's like the guy who walks around in expensive clothes pretending to be rich or the guy sticks his chest out and sucks in his gut to look like he's buff. That may be how he becomes more confident in himself, but it's still a lie. And whatever confidence you're getting is based on that lie. It's no different than the woman who has small breasts and wears the wonder bra. She may be able to walk around acting like she's hot and pick up men, but sooner or later, she's going to have to show her real self.

Your last point is an important one. Women do this all the time. I am mature enough to know that the woman with the long weave, red lipstick high heels and push up bra is not how she really looks, but I find it attractive anyway (within reason). I just take time to find out what else she brings to the table. When I go out to a club, I don't wear the same clothes I sit around the house in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 01:31 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
There is a lot of collectivism in our society. Therefore "individualism" is often looked down upon and shamed. The OP might have a point.

Old 06-29-2009, 01:34 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
I don't think it is that simple. The word "confidence" get's tossed around a lot. Many men that are themselves and have no PUA skills are in fact quite confident. Some other men with swagger are really insecure inside. So this has nothing to do with true self confidence and everything to do with how you project confidence, real or not.
What you are describing is not confidence. And the same goes for DennyCrane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
I agree. The confidence that these men attain by using this approach is false confidence.
Where in the article do you see that?

Quote:
It's derived from pretending to be something you're not.
That's not the case, no matter how much you claim to the contrary.

Quote:
It's like the guy who walks around in expensive clothes pretending to be rich or the guy sticks his chest out and sucks in his gut to look like he's buff. That may be how he becomes more confident in himself, but it's still a lie. And whatever confidence you're getting is based on that lie.
As I told Jay, that's not confidence.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:27 PM

232 posts, read 594,281 times
I seriously think some of you guys are DELIBERATELY missing the point.

I seriously think some of you guys are making up imaginary grievances out of thin air.

Last edited by Cyanosphere; 06-29-2009 at 07:58 PM..

Old 06-29-2009, 07:29 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanosphere View Post
I seriously think some of you guys are DELIBERATELY mission the point.

I seriously think some of you guys are making up imaginary grievances out of thin air.
mission the point--- is that like im mission you?
what are you getting at are you trying to tell me i need to have a porpoise in life is that it? why not just go ahead and say it.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:39 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,855,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoslade223 View Post
Your last point is an important one. Women do this all the time. I am mature enough to know that the woman with the long weave, red lipstick high heels and push up bra is not how she really looks, but I find it attractive anyway (within reason). I just take time to find out what else she brings to the table. When I go out to a club, I don't wear the same clothes I sit around the house in.
Is appearance the only way that men can conceive of women not "just being themselves"? Are they so shallow?

Women want men to open up so they can make quick decision before they get attached. However, they can be even more deceptive than men in covering up important faults. After all, a guy often has easily discernible faults such as not working or having a temper. However, women can often hide a spending addiction or irritable neuroses for months. Only when they feel that they are in control, do they resume "just being themselves".

This is obviously a two way street. If they are still interested in you despite you "just being yourself" it is important to ask whether they have extended the same courtesy.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:14 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,677,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotARedneck View Post
Women want men to open up so they can make quick decision before they get attached. However, they can be even more deceptive than men in covering up important faults. After all, a guy often has easily discernible faults such as not working or having a temper. However, women can often hide a spending addiction or irritable neuroses for months. Only when they feel that they are in control, do they resume "just being themselves".

This is obviously a two way street. If they are still interested in you despite you "just being yourself" it is important to ask whether they have extended the same courtesy.
That's why I always found a "road trip" was perfect for breaking down relationships into their real parts. Hard to hide yourself in a car with someone day after day.

I use road trips as a method for shaking out a woman's bad habits and getting a grasp of who they really are and it works like a charm.

As men we tend to wear a lot more on our sleeve but women are subversive and sneaky so it takes more work to sort them out as to their true selves.

I've recommended it to others and it's been a real help for them as it has made or broken the relationship.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:16 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
That's why I always found a "road trip" was perfect for breaking down relationships into their real parts. Hard to hide yourself in a car with someone day after day.

I use road trips as a method for shaking out a woman's bad habits and getting a grasp of who they really are and it works like a charm.
That's too funny! I just made the same suggestion on another thread!

Old 06-30-2009, 05:40 AM

4,379 posts, read 5,383,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanosphere View Post
1) If you read the article, there isn't a single word about putting on "false pretenses." There's nothing about "pretending to be someone you're not."

It's about ACTUALLY BECOMING the person you want to be. It's about IMPROVING YOURSELF.

How is learning how to become more smooth and charming and intriguing and adept at male/female interactions "pretending to be something you're not?"

2) What does the SO think? Who cares!

I've said this repeatedly; I don't intended to find an SO, or to make a girl I'm with an SO.
There is nothing wrong at all in self-improvement.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:43 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,641,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post

As men we tend to wear a lot more on our sleeve but women are subversive and sneaky so it takes more work to sort them out as to their true selves.

I've recommended it to others and it's been a real help for them as it has made or broken the relationship.
When I was younger, I thought that because women tend to talk more than men, they're more open. But some women are very good at talking a lot, but not really saying anything. I've met women who could talk endlessly but at the end of the conversation, I didn't feel like I really knew them any better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships