Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 03:25 PM

15,639 posts, read 40,936,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burb View Post
It appears I hit a nerve, you didn't get in a good enough jab with one you needed to post 2 in a row? Arguing with strangers on the internet is about as foolish as relying on their advice. Perhaps I will take my own advice and concede.

You win, I was petty and combative. Of course you are correct in your opinion. I was wrong.
Thank you for your honesty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 03:42 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,853,815 times
Memories of high school love;

A friend in high school had the same girlfriend for four yrs.

They were so much in love that they wanted to get married after graduation.

If no permission were given by the parents then they would get pregnant in order to be married.

In Sept following graduation the girls parents made her go to a eastern college (not a local in Calif).

By christmas she was engaged to another male she met at the college and they got married.

Guess TRUE love was NOT so TRUE to begin with after four years.

A lesson to be learned.

Steve

Old 07-08-2009, 03:55 PM

612 posts, read 1,838,548 times
Burb and Twinkle Toes:

Please end the feud right now. Getting off topic a bit so lets focus on helping the young man out. Thank you.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:19 PM

Hey there Banana Guy - did you read the posts? I DID offer advice that was helpful to the OP. Did Burb? No, I don't think so. I was on topic until the one hit wonder came along and decided it was her right to admonish ALL OF US for giving this young man some helpful advice. So stick that in yer pipe and smoke it.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:29 PM

612 posts, read 1,838,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Hey there Banana Guy - did you read the posts? I DID offer advice that was helpful to the OP. Did Burb? No, I don't think so. I was on topic until the one hit wonder came along and decided it was her right to admonish ALL OF US for giving this young man some helpful advice. So stick that in yer pipe and smoke it.
No need to get hostile here ma'am. I am just simply telling both of you to quit it. No point in arguing to people you don't know. If she/he keeps bothering, ignore it and stay on the topic (which you did). I agree; Burb did get a little off topic but both of ya kept going on about this and that. Let's put it aside and get back onto what the thread is really about. Thanks.

P.S. I'm not a mod so don't worry.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bananas View Post
No need to get hostile here ma'am. I am just simply telling both of you to quit it. No point in arguing to people you don't know. If she/he keeps bothering, ignore it and stay on the topic (which you did). I agree; Burb did get a little off topic but both of ya kept going on about this and that. Let's put it aside and get back onto what the thread is really about. Thanks.

P.S. I'm not a mod so don't worry.
Um ..... I'm not worried.

But as far as the things I decide to talk about, well Johnny, that really is up to me isn't it? Oh, and don't worry - I'm not a mod either.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:50 AM

10,196 posts, read 17,760,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burb View Post
No offense but I don't know you, would I trust you or anyone else here to dispense advice to my daughter, solicited or not? Nope.

If my daughter posted a question on CD about an important life choice would I want you to steer her in the right direction or would I rather nobody respond? I appreciate our intentions but I would prefer no response, then maybe she would go to someone she knows and trusts for guidance, rather than strangers on the internet.
And what if she didn't have someone she knows and trusts? Maybe the OP doesn't have an adult in his life he can really trust. Teachers and councelors? I remember being a teen and luckily, I had a mom I could go to and trust but even I didn't, I would not have been comfortable going to a teacher or councelor. Personally, my school was so huge that you were lucky if your teachers remembered your name. And the school councelor? Met him once for 20 minutes when choosing my classes for senior year. I'm sorry, you're ideas sound nice but reality, they don't always work. It sounds like you don't really remember what it was like to be a teen.

You really disapprove of us giving advice even when - despite not knowing us - we've given responsible, mature advice? I could understand if anyone had given irresponsible advice... but I really just don't see where you're coming from. Why does it matter who the advice comes from as long as it's mature, responsible, healthy advice?

Old 07-09-2009, 09:54 AM

2,514 posts, read 4,942,981 times
Aaron101 - I hope you will come back to this thread & let us know how you are doing.
Whether this is hard to believe or not; a lot of us really do care what happens to you. Wishing you the best....

Old 07-09-2009, 10:02 AM

532 posts, read 1,266,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
And what if she didn't have someone she knows and trusts? Maybe the OP doesn't have an adult in his life he can really trust. Teachers and councelors? I remember being a teen and luckily, I had a mom I could go to and trust but even I didn't, I would not have been comfortable going to a teacher or councelor. Personally, my school was so huge that you were lucky if your teachers remembered your name. And the school councelor? Met him once for 20 minutes when choosing my classes for senior year. I'm sorry, you're ideas sound nice but reality, they don't always work. It sounds like you don't really remember what it was like to be a teen.

You really disapprove of us giving advice even when - despite not knowing us - we've given responsible, mature advice? I could understand if anyone had given irresponsible advice... but I really just don't see where you're coming from. Why does it matter who the advice comes from as long as it's mature, responsible, healthy advice?
Rather than drag this out further, I will defer to the greater wisdom of Mr. Bananas and the thoughtful insight of Ms. Toes.

Old 07-09-2009, 03:36 PM

Glad to see you back Burb. We should go out for coffee sometime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships