Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 12:02 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,035,633 times

Advertisements

Hmmm ..... I wonder if I get a prize or anything when I hit 10,000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 12:16 AM

612 posts, read 1,843,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Hmmm ..... I wonder if I get a prize or anything when I hit 10,000.
I don't know and probably won't. I can't see myself getting 10k posts... or at least not in the near future. You might want to ask Huckleberry who has over 21,000 posts.

Old 07-10-2009, 12:18 AM

Huck ... now there is a man who has way too much time on his hands!

Nah, he's cool. He's a friend of mine. Even if I don't understand half of what he posts.

Old 07-11-2009, 01:35 PM

2 posts, read 1,588 times
Default My brother needs advice

Okay my brother is 17 years old he has a girlfriend who is about 5 months pregnant. He would like to get emancipated, but the thought never went though his head until my dad told him to do it. His girlfriend lives with her mom right now but they would not mind my bother living there too until they get their own place. He has a job and once he is done with school he will be getting another job or a better job. They are mental and verbal abusing him. I went though the same thing and i dont want him to go through the same thing. Can someone tell me how I can help me. He really wants to be apart of his baby's life and hates to drama. Our family does not like his girl friend so they treat her like **** and trys to keep them away from each other. Well hopefully someone can help me and him figure something out soon.

Old 07-11-2009, 01:41 PM

If your family are treating the girl like crap, your family is doing more harm than good and adding stress to an already stressful situation. They need to back off and act like responsible adults.

Old 07-11-2009, 04:17 PM

2 posts, read 1,588 times
would he be better off getting emancipated. our sister treats him like **** too and talks about of **** about his girl. she is very sweet she says the night at my place some times and helps me out a lot with my kids and stuff. She is tried of my brother hurting because of my family. he wants to be there but how can he be there when this stuff is going on. my brother is 17 he has made mistakes in his life but he never hurt anybody he is very mature and he is ready to take care of his baby and his girl.

Old 07-30-2009, 03:45 AM

5 posts, read 7,171 times
Can you people please post threads to this post about my post. All you guys do is argue like little kids, grow up abviously your looking at my post for a reason if you got a commet please o ahead im open for all suggestions. I dont need adults acting like kids if your not going to help me. so quit

ok im almost 17 now me and my fiance have been together for 7 years and have always liked each other. I still get miss treated at home, yea for little things like dishes. i dnt want a foster home ok. I make 700 a week now got a job, im in a computer school witch alows me a high school diploma. icould be in it till 21. i am also in fire fighter explorers. once i graduate high school im going in for a 2 year colloge to help my bennifits with fire fighter. thats what im going to become. and we dnt plan on etting married till october 9th before our 21st bday. and we wont lead to pregnancy cause we our both still virgens ad dont plan on doing it for awhile, were not risking the chances. i do get abused at home but want emancipation.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:12 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,874,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron101 View Post
Can you people please post threads to this post about my post. All you guys do is argue like little kids, grow up abviously your looking at my post for a reason if you got a commet please o ahead im open for all suggestions. I dont need adults acting like kids if your not going to help me. so quit
You have already received a TON of mature advice directed solely at you and your posts alone. I know it's annoying when people just start bickering amongst themselves - but I know you've still received a lot of advice directed just to you from people who have many more years of maturity and experience than you do.

Quote:
ok im almost 17 now me and my fiance have been together for 7 years and have always liked each other. I still get miss treated at home, yea for little things like dishes. i dnt want a foster home ok. I make 700 a week now got a job, im in a computer school witch alows me a high school diploma. icould be in it till 21. i am also in fire fighter explorers. once i graduate high school im going in for a 2 year colloge to help my bennifits with fire fighter. thats what im going to become. and we dnt plan on etting married till october 9th before our 21st bday. and we wont lead to pregnancy cause we our both still virgens ad dont plan on doing it for awhile, were not risking the chances. i do get abused at home but want emancipation.
I'm glad to hear you're making some wise decisions about your future in terms of waiting until nearly 21 to marry, not risking pregnancy by staying abstinent, aiming to become a fire fighter, etc. But if you plan on living with your girlfriend's family and having her mother even partially support you, I'm fairly sure the courts would not emancipate you. Of course I'm no expert but I'm fairly certain you must prove yourself to be FULLY self sufficient in order to be emancipated. Living with your girlfriends mother and paying a minimal rent not comparable to the market (ie, the $300 you mentioned in the first post) or not buying your own food, etc, is not being fully self sufficient. There is too much risk that if they emancipate you and something goes wrong with you and your girlfriend or her mother, you'll be left to survive on your own - so you absolutely must be fully self sufficient.

I also have to question the $700 a week... I'm not saying you're lying but in your first post, you said you'd be making minimum wage at $6.50 an hour. I don't want to believe you're lying but I find it hard to believe you went from $6.50 an hour to $700 a week in one month. I'm also not sure how much this computer school you're attending costs so I don't know how much you have going out - you may still benefit from a foster family helping to finanially support you.

Again, I don't know how the system works exactly but I'm pretty sure that your girlfriend's mother can apply to be your foster parent. Maybe I should have mentioned this before when I suggested going into foster care. If her mother is serious about taking you into her home, she should be able to become your legal guardian. If you're going to be living with her anyway, I think it might be wise to have her become your guardian - you might as well, I imagine it would probably be easier, faster and more successful. Gaining emancipation is rare - going into a foster home that already wants you and is where you'd want to be...well, that's one less kid social services has to place in a random foster home, they'd probably jump at the chance.

Old 08-05-2009, 02:22 AM

612 posts, read 1,843,483 times
We gave ya a ton of advice. Most of the posters have kids and were giving you some very helpful information on what teens should know. Some of us have even been down that road. I think the first 2 pages were devoted to your post but then got a little off-topic but without your responses that is what it came to.

I like your plan. Sounds good but not ideal. But hey! If it works for you, go for it. Although I don't think emancipation is the answer. Maybe you can work something out with your parents and your fiance's parents with some sort of arrangement without emancipating.

Good luck Bud!

Old 08-05-2009, 06:40 AM

240 posts, read 437,260 times
Default Stay young

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron101 View Post
hi i'm 16 i live in lv, nv i am engaged, my fiance's family is going to get a divorce and there mom wants me to go. Ill be a roomate and pay my part to stay im going to job fairs to get a job it'll probably be minimum wage 6.50 a hour. But she only wants me to pay 300 a month and i want to go so i could stay with my fiance. My parents dont want me to leave cause they like being my boss. They have let me move out once but to my dads, and i didnt want to cause he dont want me so i came back after so many months. So if i go in and show them 2 checks, and a letter from my roomate stating how much i got to pay and i welcome there. And that its summer now but when school starts im going to do insite a online school. Were thay send you a laptop and all the stuff its a free public school so i could work full-time. And for a reason if needed to stay with my fiance and to start my life now. So can anyone help me, or let me know what you think cause i really want to get emancipated and start my life with my fiance. I'm ready to start my life and will keep trying to get emancipated till i do.

well i have seen this happen so many times and they divorce so quick the ink has not dried on the marriage liscence,or they have a baby and no time for play time stay young and with yiur mother,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships