Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2009, 05:37 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,400,633 times

Advertisements

everybody likes to be cared for that is genderless, but nobody wants to be property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 05:47 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,530,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth the W8 View Post
Women's suffrage was a success thanks to courageous women in the 1800's, followed by many women in subsequent eras demanding and succesfully obtaining, for the most part, equal treatment and pay in US.

Gone are the days of barefoot and preagnant, along with the Leave it to Beaver, "June what's for dinner" way of life. Our economy is built on 2 income households, few women have the option NOT to work.

For you single women out there, would you give it all up, the job, the independence and all the trappings if given the chance to marry a strong and succesful, but painfully old fashioned man? He would love and cherish you, be kind, affectionate and attentive to the children. He would also insist on bearing any burdens and making all the important decisions for the family. He would want a wife to be obedient and supportive, You'd be expeced to keep a tidy house and have dinner ready with a smile when he gets home.

Just curious how many women out there want to meet and marry a provider and a "daddy" figure versus a partner, and equal contributor.
NO!! I HATE that my husband out earns me now. I was very proud of the fact I supported our family. Now I'm just a minor contributor. I think my ideal would be we both earned the same.

Old 06-30-2009, 05:50 PM

16 posts, read 45,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjohnson View Post
NotARedneck actually had something interesting to say.
But it seems the ladies here aren't interested in anything
that can't be answered with "I don't need no stinkin' man'
or some other version of that old favorite. Girls, remove
the stick. It's obviously restricting flow to thinking parts.

Any reason why none of you have posted your photo?
OK, I'll go first with the photo, note this is an old photo, I've let myself go a bit since.

Old 06-30-2009, 06:07 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Women's suffrage was a success thanks to courageous women in the 1800's, followed by many women in subsequent eras demanding and succesfully obtaining, for the most part, equal treatment and pay in US.

Gone are the days of barefoot and preagnant, along with the Leave it to Beaver, "June what's for dinner" way of life. Our economy is built on 2 income households, few women have the option NOT to work.

For you single women out there, would you give it all up, the job, the independence and all the trappings if given the chance to marry a strong and succesful, but painfully old fashioned man? He would love and cherish you, be kind, affectionate and attentive to the children. He would also insist on bearing any burdens and making all the important decisions for the family. He would want a wife to be obedient and supportive, You'd be expeced to keep a tidy house and have dinner ready with a smile when he gets home.

Just curious how many women out there want to meet and marry a provider and a "daddy" figure versus a partner, and equal contributor.
Why does a man who provides for his family have to be considered a "daddy figure"? Can't a couple jointly decide what their roles will be and still be partners??? It happens every day and is not so uncommon as you think

Old 06-30-2009, 06:32 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,691,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
What part of my post stated that??
Yeah, I didn't say that either.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:01 PM

1,629 posts, read 3,477,218 times
Quote:

You obviously haven't read MY post, or looked at MY profile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
What part of my post stated that??
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Yeah, I didn't say that either.
Robert has a selective reading problem

Think before you speak/write.

And I second chessieMom - your photo is useless, and it's hypocritical for you to demand others'.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:07 PM

1,629 posts, read 3,477,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Oh my mom was involved - she was the one who balanced the checkbook; she just didn't worry about things once he said he would take care of it. That was like the main rule in our household "don't say you're going to do something if you can't follow through."
Ah, gotcha.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:20 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,372,909 times
Quote:
I suspect you and I would both agree that grandma neither commanded less respect or was inferior to grandpa in any way!
You're right - it was common knowledge that while my grandfather ran the house; my grandmother ran the household

Quote:

I've got several pics on my profile - but that's just because I have a superiority complex

Old 07-01-2009, 12:08 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,426,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Perhaps we'll consider removing the stick if you stop thinking with your Johnson.

Lmao! That was a good one.

I agree, he should stop thinking with his lil robertjohnson.

Old 07-01-2009, 05:46 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,187,051 times
Quote:
The term "obedient" in my OP seems to have stirred the pot quite a bit. A promise to "love, honor and obey" was the boilerplate wedding vow for decades. Funny how a pledge of life long love and commitment turned into an insult in a relatively short period of time.
I wouldn't confuse the two ideas, obedience and life-time commitment, if you're interested in understanding independent women.

Quote:
Good honest response WB. I take great joy in serving or giving unconditionally to those I love as well. Interesting how some take pleasure in "waiting" on a spouse as a loving and appreciated gesture. While other see it as an act of subservience beneath a spouse only fitting for a servant master relationship.
We all serve our spouses in one way or another, and people generally in the day-to-day. You know that's not the issue. Women, for most of human history, have been subservient to men. That's just how it was, and still is in many parts of the world, so the senstivity you see in this thread isn't about naturally loving and wanting to please our spouses. I don't know why it's necessary to state the obvious.

Quote:
Great reply, yours seems to be the common thread among most opinions. So many equate self worth to career and independent accomplishment, if you do not succeed in these areas you are somehow inferior. This has been the standard held for men forever, it stands to reason that with a womans rise to equality in the workplace the expectations would follow. It is a sad state of affairs when a woman who gets up every day and runs a household like a swiss watch does not receive the respect of an executive. Not dignity and respect denied from others as much as denying themselves due self respect.
Agreed. It is a sad and very old mentality. "Men's work" or anything men do has predominantly been the rubric of what is to be respected. Now that gender roles are beginning to blur, hopefully these types of judgments will become less common. SAHD's and house-husbands are having to contend with similar garbage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I'll tell you what...I have known many women execs...who shouldn't be in the position's they are in, and are in those positions b/c they are women...now, Mind you, I have worked for some amazing women execs, but very few compared to the amount of women in that career field. I find them insecure, not good leaders, and ready and able to blame everyone else for their mistakes, a lot of them micro manage, it takes them 20 minutes to say simply a yes or a no. I cannot tell you how many women I know, who say, they would never ever work for a woman again....
My boss is a woman and she is difficult. She's the first female I have ever worked for (so take this for what's its worth) and it hasn't been easy. OTOH, I realize this has as much to do with me as her, unfortunately.

Quote:
I was going to reply to one sentence in his post but decided not to bother...something about women becoming educated to land a specific type of man to support or some such thing. Lets just say that the world does not revolve around the penis for many. Go figure.

Quote:
What does this have to do with anything?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships