Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 12:25 PM

20,706 posts, read 19,346,662 times

Advertisements

I don't know. I have a great wife. I never complain about her to anyone. I am going on 6 years. Though I do know what I am doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 02:22 PM

614 posts, read 1,375,405 times
Well thats good to hear, but for I dunno nearly 90% of the population they can't seem to keep it together.

Old 03-04-2010, 03:40 PM

20,706 posts, read 19,346,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjd72 View Post
Well thats good to hear, but for I dunno nearly 90% of the population they can't seem to keep it together.

Hi kjd72,

Its because they make themselves stupid. Here are a few assumptions one can make.

1. Sex makes people like people, any old people, as long as the sex is good.
2. The first six months of a relationship is based on a massive doses of dopamine release. You are like a drug addict. Soon after, many people still chase that high.
3. Most people think love is a feeling.
4. Most people have short memories.

Classic western romantic notions of love are an utter nightmare as is the current feminist action, modern male reaction cycle. Everything anyone has heard about marriage in pop culture for the last 50 years should be burned as complete and utter folly.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:59 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,896,840 times
Quote:
Oh I do, as soon as I hear ah man my wife... I stop them before they finish, and I tell them if your going to say something bad about what your wife did.. don't! when I know someone is going to or is asking a stupid question I will not let them finish it. I tell them as soon as I start to hear it so I do kill it before it comes out of their mouth. You know when people are going to say something on a certain subject matter you know how to change the subject, well thats what I do. I also tell my married friends if you want to cry to someone do it to someone that can relate to your problems.
Yeah, that's fair enough. It's interesting though that your mates seem to feel they can come to you with their problems. I mean I've got a tonne of friends who are married and are now parents. Something that most likely won't be happening with me (the parent bit) and they will sometimes need to vent and get things off their chest about their situation. I can understand that. I help and sympathize where I can because I value my friendships and I don't need the people I care about to have exactly the same life circumstances as me. AND I am considered amongst my circle the "go to" person regardless that my life is different from that of the people coming to me. I wonder what the deal is with you? I mean in terms of your friends keep bringing this specifically to you even though you tell them you don't want to hear it....

Quote:
Besides I like B**ching here it's someplace to vent since everyone I know feels I should be M****ed, and I think NOT!!! haha I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but really it's a waste of money and time, for what? you can do the same stuff single with a gf/bf. Like I always say it makes for a cleaner break up.
Yeah, look some people will go through their lives and feel exactly the same way about marriage and kids all the way through, some will feel one way and completely change their minds, some will be adament about it and then discover much to their horror (probably ) that they've suddenly bumped into someone who by their very nature is now causing them to completely question EVERYTHING they thought they knew before.
I'd have agreed with your last couple of comments a few years back but now I see reasons why marriage can be and is a valid option for some people. Nobody is right or wrong. The important thing is to find the right thing for you.

Old 03-04-2010, 10:34 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,322,098 times
I think a lot of people would prefer marriage over long term dating or a "friend with benefits" arrangement. Sometimes people say they don't because they do.

Old 03-04-2010, 11:34 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,305,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun queen View Post
I think a lot of people would prefer marriage over long term dating or a "friend with benefits" arrangement. Sometimes people say they don't because they do.
I think the the proper way to phrase this is " I think a lot of WOMEN would prefer marriage over long term dating or a friends with benefits arrangement. A lot of men are cool with it.

Last edited by jacktravern; 03-04-2010 at 11:35 PM.. Reason: Mispelled the word cool

Old 03-04-2010, 11:37 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,379,099 times
men do not. men did not change-- marriage changed-- and too womens ability to walk away from a marriage much better off than when they entered it.
42 million divorces since 1975, 70% filed by women. interesting that on a recent poll 96% of men were happy to be married. most women want to get married. the question is why.

Old 03-05-2010, 12:22 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,896,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
men do not. men did not change-- marriage changed-- and too womens ability to walk away from a marriage much better off than when they entered it.
42 million divorces since 1975, 70% filed by women. interesting that on a recent poll 96% of men were happy to be married. most women want to get married. the question is why.
Reckon the answer lies in the housework statistcs, Huck.

Old 03-05-2010, 01:09 AM

4,837 posts, read 8,852,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
I think the the proper way to phrase this is " I think a lot of WOMEN would prefer marriage over long term dating or a friends with benefits arrangement. A lot of men are cool with it.
This is very true. There is a lot of misinformation out there about the position of women in society and the benefits of marriage. Men are getting lied to because a society with less marriage is very costly for the taxpayers. Some of the tall tales:

Women make less than men. - Not for the same jobs and education. The reverse is actually true although the differential is only about 2%. Most employers are terrified of even being perceived as perhaps paying women less or not giving them better promotional opportunities. A successful lawsuit can be extremely expensive. However, if women want to make as much as men, in total, they will need to take on the dirty, dangerous jobs that pay well. I don't expect this to happen any time soon!

Married men are healthier. - No, wealthier people are healthier and such men find it much easier to get married to someone they are attracted to. As well, jocks and other "healthy" men are also more likely to be married. Basically, this has it completely back wards.

Marriage makes a man wealthier. - Certainly the extra income a wife brings in gives him more to spend. Unfortunately, he must also spend more - much more than the extra income to keep her happy. However, what is pernicious about this"research" is that it ignores what happens to the 50% of men who get divorced. It also doesn't deal effectively with the men whose wives stop working.

Men do better after divorce. - This "study" was based on an outright fabrication but it continues to resurface. Imagine spending years paying off a mortgage while your house (and all others) triple in value and then, in mid life or later, you lose this house and most of your other possessions. You are then expected to live on your own and pay a portion of your income to the person who got the house. And you are supposedly better off?! Its amazing that women are so clueless that they believe this. The only women who are relatively worse off after divorce are those who divorced deadbeats who then were forced to go out and get a job. Its is amazing how many such marriages there are! I guess that this is what happens when nice guys have such little luck!

There is some other nonsense out there but it is getting late. Marriage is good for women, if they can find a man with money. The latest is that the hook-up era is at an end. Women are now looking for men with assets, just like every other time of uncertainty and high unemployment. Expect a further increase in the rate of STDs.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:12 AM

614 posts, read 1,375,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
Yea WOMEN not MEN!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships