Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2009, 07:09 AM

943 posts, read 3,159,211 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately many of the couples my husband and I know have bad marriages. Most are just together for the kids.

What I have started to notice is each of them start talking to their spouse in a disrespectful way and use poor interpersonal skills. They get so use to talking to their spouse in a certain way that they just start talking to everyone the same. I find people with a good interpersonal relationship with their spouse usually have better communication with their friends and family. Do you agree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 11:07 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,943,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
Unfortunately many of the couples my husband and I know have bad marriages. Most are just together for the kids.

What I have started to notice is each of them start talking to their spouse in a disrespectful way and use poor interpersonal skills. They get so use to talking to their spouse in a certain way that they just start talking to everyone the same. I find people with a good interpersonal relationship with their spouse usually have better communication with their friends and family. Do you agree?
I believe this.

I called a friend's wife of ours "Honey" once.

Old 07-01-2009, 11:55 AM
ttz

677 posts, read 1,665,976 times
Yes lots of people bring thier problems from home to work and it shows.

Old 07-01-2009, 06:15 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,852,845 times
Quote:
Unfortunately many of the couples my husband and I know have bad marriages.

I find people with a good interpersonal relationship with their spouse usually have better communication with their friends and family.

Do you agree?
The hen pecked guys start to stutter and duck frequently.

Old 07-01-2009, 11:20 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,539,444 times
I have seen many people treat outsiders better than they treat their spouses/SO's. So it can go both ways.

Old 07-03-2009, 10:00 AM

943 posts, read 2,279,916 times
They probably are unhappy, and the unhappiness rubs off elsewhere.

Many people who are married, people see you as a package deal too even while the marriage is failed, failing or troubled., so if you are fighting with spouse it is hard. Especially if you have close friends you both shared.

Making new friends is very hard to for those in troubled relationships, because people can pick up something is wrong.

Old 07-03-2009, 10:09 AM

951 posts, read 1,810,619 times
Default Another Chicken and Egg Story

Quote:
I believe a bad relationship with your spouse hurts your social and interpersonal skills

Do you agree?
Good relationship skills are not a criteria with a high priority when women select men. They are so happy that they have snagged a good looking "strong silent type" that they ignore the danger signs. They think that communications will come easily once they get intimate and married.

I somehow doubt that this suddenly became worse although some of these men become even more uncommunicative when they are angry with the way their marriage is going.

Old 07-03-2009, 10:12 AM

943 posts, read 2,279,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyShouldIWorry View Post
Good relationship skills are not a criteria with a high priority when women select men. They are so happy that they have snagged a good looking "strong silent type" that they ignore the danger signs. They think that communications will come easily once they get intimate and married.

I somehow doubt that this suddenly became worse although some of these men become even more uncommunicative when they are angry with the way their marriage is going.
Yes too many women are fooled by strong silent types.

Watch out for men who NEVER cry, not even a few tears at funerals...seriously.

Old 07-03-2009, 10:44 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,025,535 times
Quote:

Disagree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships