U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 10:35 AM

25,170 posts, read 32,901,125 times
She needs to take a hike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Yeah, but Dave Ramsey deals with the common sense of money, and isn't abusive towards his listener. Dr. Laura? A different story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 11:15 AM

23,753 posts, read 19,155,015 times
I have met her personally. She is very complicated. She is intelligent and charming, as well as bitchy, paranoid and judgmental. In other words, just a typical human being.

A typical human being who is a public figure with a lot of influence and a lot of money.

Old 07-07-2009, 11:20 AM

24,447 posts, read 25,354,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
I have met her personally. She is very complicated. She is intelligent and charming, as well as bitchy, paranoid and judgmental. In other words, just a typical human being.
That may be. But that certainly doesn't qualify her to tell anybody how to run their lives.

Old 07-07-2009, 02:15 PM

1,667 posts, read 1,932,120 times
Quote:
That may be. But that certainly doesn't qualify her to tell anybody how to run their lives.
they ask... it's not like she's chasing people down the street forcing them to listen to her viewpoints

Old 07-07-2009, 02:16 PM

Anybody has the right to disagree. Also asking for advice is different than asking for a condescending scolding. Huge difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
they ask... it's not like she's chasing people down the street forcing them to listen to her viewpoints

Old 07-07-2009, 02:19 PM

1,667 posts, read 1,932,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Anybody has the right to disagree. Also asking for advice is different than asking for a condescending scolding. Huge difference.
that's true... but how many people ask for advice actually wanting the advice, & how many only want their own view to be validated?

Old 07-07-2009, 02:25 PM
Status: "Current ear worm - tick tock goes the clock..." (set 2 days ago)

21,627 posts, read 15,637,670 times
Quote:
Well, I can't understand how a woman who is estranged from her own mother, got divorced and started sleeping with her boss, has nude photos on the internet, and has her Ph.D. in physiology is qualified to dispense any advice on the radio on how people should live their lives.
That makes two of us. Her life, and family are pretty screwed up. Probably because she's been chasing success. Want to get ahead, then sleep with the boss...Want to make money, become a shock jock and watch your personal life fall apart...I love that the preaches responsbility to family but won't reconcile with her own mother. When you chase fame or money, the results usually are bad. People like her end up thinking they are above the rules.

This is why I'm broke and relatively unknown oh, wait, my life is still screwed up...Maybe I should have gone after fame and fortune....

Old 07-07-2009, 02:46 PM

There is nothing wrong with a combination of validation and advice. Advice are just suggestions or opinions that can be disagreed with at any time. Suggestions are not scoldings or belittlings.

Here is the definition of advice, nowhere does it say being condescending, criticizing, or scolding another person:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=f&oq=&aqi=g10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
that's true... but how many people ask for advice actually wanting the advice, & how many only want their own view to be validated?

Old 07-07-2009, 02:47 PM

5,672 posts, read 9,960,389 times
Well, I just read about her and those nude photos were taken in the 1970's when she was young and dumb......like a lot of us were/are at that age! Some guy got mad at her and put them on the Internet in 1998......geshhhhh that was being a real adult by him! Her family has had some problems, but what family doesn't??? Just like one poster said, "people call her, not the other way around". A lot of people in society don't like therapists like her that "tell it the way they see it". I happen to like it! I really like how she handles couples living together without any kind of marriage plans......don't believe in it myself, but did live with my (now) wife before marriage. BUT, she had an engagement ring on the whole time we lived together and one year after moving in with her, we were married. She thinks very highly of children, but live together and have small children living with you! I like that also! Kids learn from how they are brought up!
Dr. Laura........"you rock lady!!" And this is coming from a 60 yr old man who knows about life!!

Old 07-07-2009, 02:51 PM

Just because people ask for advice isn't an excuse for her to be a jerk to them. Also people can politely disagree or assert whether their views are better than Dr. Laura's or Dr. Phil's in the long run.

The only person who knows you the best, is you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
That makes two of us. Her life, and family are pretty screwed up. Probably because she's been chasing success. Want to get ahead, then sleep with the boss...Want to make money, become a shock jock and watch your personal life fall apart...I love that the preaches responsbility to family but won't reconcile with her own mother. When you chase fame or money, the results usually are bad. People like her end up thinking they are above the rules.

This is why I'm broke and relatively unknown oh, wait, my life is still screwed up...Maybe I should have gone after fame and fortune....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships