U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 11:44 PM

42,843 posts, read 54,899,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I've listened to Dr. Laura on and off for the last 19 years. She has a lot of good advice for some very screwed up people, and if you listen to her enough, you'll realize that she preaches prevention above everything else! Prevent unwanted pregnancies, prevent dragging out a "going nowhere" relationship for ten years, etc. I like what she says about how to make a marriage work, such as "be your husband's girlfriend". What is wrong with that kind of advice? Also, most of us would like to have been raised by a stay at home parent, right? Again, what's the problem?
Well, if that's what the woman preaches, I'm all for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 05:59 AM

6,416 posts, read 5,764,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I was wondering what the people of the forum think of Dr. Laura. She's pretty controversial at times. While I appreciate her efforts about protecting children, she seems to be a bit of a bytch. She gets all sarcastic at times, unnecessarily so, in my opinion. She also has a major problem with people not being married and "shacking" up. She has some pretty bazaar views of homosexuality as well. In her defense she does have a knack at getting to the root of the problem fairly quickly.

So what do you guys think??
Why is she "controversial"?

Her stance on sex outside of marriage?

Shacking up?

Cheating in marriage?

Exactly what is it she supports that make her controversial to you?

Old 12-22-2013, 06:42 PM

261 posts, read 157,348 times
I love Dr. Laura. I listen to her podcast every day. She's been a big help in my life.

Old 12-22-2013, 06:50 PM

14,851 posts, read 18,033,753 times
Quote:
I was wondering what the people of the forum think of Dr. Laura. She's pretty controversial at times. While I appreciate her efforts about protecting children, she seems to be a bit of a bytch. She gets all sarcastic at times, unnecessarily so, in my opinion. She also has a major problem with people not being married and "shacking" up. She has some pretty bazaar views of homosexuality as well. In her defense she does have a knack at getting to the root of the problem fairly quickly.

So what do you guys think??
I listen to her a lot - almost every day. And yes, I am aware that when she was younger she made several errors in judgment regarding personal choices and running her life. Haven't we all? People are very quick to point out her past and throw it up in your face even though the past really is not important. So for those of you who are OBSESSED about doing that you are wasting your time.

Dr. Laura teaches how to get along with people in a safe and sane manner. She is not politically correct and she does not go along with popular culture notions. I have personally found her advice to be invaluable to me personally and I know that she has had a positive impact on hundreds, if not thousands, of people's lives and personal relationships. Just because her views are unpopular with feminists does not discredit her as a therapist and does not negate the validity of her advice.

That having been said she does have a demeanor that does not bode well with everyone. But then neither does *any* talk show radio host. You cannot possibly make everybody happy. There are times when she cuts off a caller that I occasionally yell at the radio... "Let her talk damn it". Or the rare time when I disagree with her advice. But over all she is on the money almost 100 percent of the time and the world would be an infinitely better place if people treated themselves and others (especially husbands) in accordance with her philosophy.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-22-2013, 06:52 PM

25,213 posts, read 19,059,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric351982 View Post
I love Dr. Laura. I listen to her podcast every day. She's been a big help in my life.
LOL, I see someone dug up this corpse of a thread.

Yeah, I think Dr. Laura in the big scheme of things means well, I just find her to be more abrasive than she needs to be...

I get that she says she only has a small amount of time with each caller, but damn... that woman can be nasty and pretty snarky at times to her callers.

Old 12-22-2013, 07:16 PM

12,837 posts, read 9,138,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Well, if that's what the woman preaches, I'm all for it.

Alex & Sierra won on "The Voice".........

Old 12-22-2013, 07:16 PM

45,151 posts, read 57,085,003 times
Quote:
LOL, I see someone dug up this corpse of a thread.

Yeah, I think Dr. Laura in the big scheme of things means well, I just find her to be more abrasive than she needs to be...

I get that she says she only has a small amount of time with each caller, but damn... that woman can be nasty and pretty snarky at times to her callers.
Agreed - like Judge Judy, who I also really like, she's more acerbic than necessary too much of the time.

Old 12-22-2013, 07:18 PM

12,296 posts, read 7,602,749 times
I love Judge Judy!

Old 12-22-2013, 07:21 PM

25,213 posts, read 19,059,299 times
Yeah, the thing with judge judy was kind of funny at first, her blastin on some fool for doing foolish things, but I think after a while it became shtick......... you know what I mean

Same with Dr. Laura......she's only on the web now as far as I know, I haven't heard her on the radio for a few yrs now......

Old 12-22-2013, 07:37 PM

10,193 posts, read 4,882,985 times
If she can admit she is a Republican, I'd respect her more.
All these "I am my kid's mom" " do the right thing" gets old sometimes especially when she is such a two faced liar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships