Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2010, 09:24 PM

2,058 posts, read 3,303,140 times

Advertisements

Can someone please tell me (clearly) what is so important about gender roles? And you can't include things like "kids get raised by tv" and "you work at your 9 to 5 job for a stranger" because those things have nothing to do with...anything.

Old 05-05-2010, 06:43 AM

36,495 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsong64 View Post
Can someone please tell me (clearly) what is so important about gender roles? And you can't include things like "kids get raised by tv" and "you work at your 9 to 5 job for a stranger" because those things have nothing to do with...anything.

Nothing. I will be glad when they have been forgotten.

Old 05-05-2010, 06:58 AM

796 posts, read 1,842,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhe1982 View Post
I mean,wives are submissive,take all the houseworks,always husband and kid first, don't spend money on herself.
It seems to me that woman who like to spend money on herself,who argue with her husband,who share the houseworks with her husband(even if she doesn't work full-time) more likely get a better husband.
Which one could better describe men's instinct, protecting women or conquering women?
Um...no. This is not the 1950's and women are not men's property. Granted, there are a few men and women who still adhere to this antiquated way of thinking, but I don't know any...at all.

I could never be the submissive wife...God, no....

Old 05-05-2010, 08:26 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,312,593 times
One of my older male friends takes pride in "being stuck back in the fifties" when it comes to his marriage and relationship with his wife...He is retired now and just sits around and watches TV all day or goes online...His wife does all of the cooking and cleaning and shopping...while he does nothing...He doesn't feel he has to partake in "women's work."

Old 05-05-2010, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
One of my older male friends takes pride in "being stuck back in the fifties" when it comes to his marriage and relationship with his wife...He is retired now and just sits around and watches TV all day or goes online...His wife does all of the cooking and cleaning and shopping...while he does nothing...He doesn't feel he has to partake in "women's work."

I've known several older men like that. What is sad is when their wife dies before them and they are helpless to cook or clean for themselves. I actually knew a man who did not know how to operate the microwave, dishwasher or washing machine. He died shortly after his wife.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:48 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,945,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhe1982 View Post
I mean,wives are submissive,take all the houseworks,always husband and kid first, don't spend money on herself.
WTH?!?!? You think those things makes a good wife? OMG.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:19 AM

20,706 posts, read 19,349,208 times
Not much to say about this thread since I knew what it would become. The 1950s myth is not just a myth of male fantasy but also a feminist fantasy with the requisite villains of a Hobbesian household complete with ghouls and goblins. About the only truth between the two is that the man was the bread winner. Women had plenty of power and leverage in the household with rare exceptions of an abusive husband. Good extended families prevented some of those consequences. That world did not lack for submissive husbands under the thumb of their wives either. The real 1950 fairy tale, which happens to be true, is that people would live off a single income .

Before the 50s there were few careers. Most jobs sucked like working in rock quarries and public water projects during the depression where death was common. Men were not holding back women in the 1870s from a cushy corporate job.

What really liberated the opportunity for the second income was washing machines, dishwashers and vacuum cleaners and microwave dinners. Before that time it could not be done. There were too many manual chores. Yet its not enough and now there seems little time but for work. We have squandered much of the additional income.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:40 AM

I grew up in the fifties and both my parents cooked and cleaned and helped raise me together...My Dad had an outside job and my Mom stayed home to do the bulk of household chores each day and to "be there" when I got home from school...Looking back I'd have to say that my parents seemed more "neuter" or "androgenous."....They didn't play out traditional male and female roles in every respect. My Dad had a "hand" in everything...He didn't sit back and let my Mom do all the work...We all went out to make repairs on the family car or do work on the roof....We all participated in cooking and shopping and buying new appliances etc.....We were all a "team."....Growing up in this type of family helped me become a more well-rounded adult.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I've known several older men like that. What is sad is when their wife dies before them and they are helpless to cook or clean for themselves. I actually knew a man who did not know how to operate the microwave, dishwasher or washing machine. He died shortly after his wife.
This is a good point to bring up...thanks. It's not smart to only be a "half person." When the "other half" dies...or leaves due to divorce....the one "left behind" will have to hire a lot of help or hope and pray that relatives and friends will step-in to help.

Old 05-05-2010, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
This is a good point to bring up...thanks. It's not smart to only be a "half person." When the "other half" dies...or leaves due to divorce....the one "left behind" will have to hire a lot of help or hope and pray that relatives and friends will step-in to help.
You are lucky to have grown up in a household like you did. Mine was a pretty traditional home although Dad did like to bake and garden. When he retired and mom started working, he did much more of the cooking.

The same is true when the husband dies first. Mom had never balanced a checkbook, mowed the yard, checked the oil in her car, etc. She had to learn to do a lot of things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships