U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 04:30 AM

11,000 posts, read 7,217,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MySweetLips View Post
Cowards break up with people via email.
Cowards lie, cheat, steal, abuse, use, manipulate others
Cowards are insecure and lack self respect / esteem and therefore are unable to respect others.
Cowards blame others, make excuses for their mistakes and run from obligation, duty, responsibilities, commitments, rules, laws that govern society.
Cowards believe in no one, No God or higher power, no consequence for their misconduct, no regret for their wrong doing, no shame for their sins.
Cowards hide and lurk in the shadows, behind others who they resent and envy.
Cowards hurt others with their lack of morals and deceitful ways
but most of all...
Cowards hurt themselves.

How does a loser ever win?
Losers NEVER win...ever...

Cowards are LOSERS....
Losers in love
Losers in life.

Good Men are not Cowards.

Agreed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2010, 09:48 AM

3,486 posts, read 3,425,451 times
This is an old thread, and I presume the OP has already made her choice, but for what it's worth, here is my two cents:

I am on the fence about this one, quite frankly, and I think it depends on a lot of different variables. My inclination is to say that unless there are technical impediments to this beyond your control, or you are genuinely in fear for your physical safety, you should deliver the news in person. No matter what rationalizations are offered, breaking up via e-mail is cowardly and callous, or at least always seems that way. From the point of view of the "break-upee" it's no different than coming home to find, all of a sudden, that its locks have been changed and one's possessions are all stuffed in lawn bags and piled up in the driveway. It's cold, and manifests a lack of respect for the fact that you once did have a committed relationship.

On the other hand, breaking up by e-mail or letter gives the other person an opportunity to preserve his dignity, so that his initial reaction is private and not seen by the one who is dumping him. It allows him to collect his thoughts and, if he wishes, to send a calm and meaningful response that he is not later going to regret or feel embarrassed by.

So it really depends on the personalities of the people involved. If it's likely to get very emotionally messy and degenerate into a huge, ugly fight complete with name-calling and ridiculous accusations, perhaps e-mail is the way to go. But it still shouldn't be one's first choice.

Old 11-01-2010, 06:38 PM

45,157 posts, read 57,153,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
This is an old thread, and I presume the OP has already made her choice, but for what it's worth, here is my two cents:

I am on the fence about this one, quite frankly, and I think it depends on a lot of different variables. My inclination is to say that unless there are technical impediments to this beyond your control, or you are genuinely in fear for your physical safety, you should deliver the news in person. No matter what rationalizations are offered, breaking up via e-mail is cowardly and callous, or at least always seems that way. From the point of view of the "break-upee" it's no different than coming home to find, all of a sudden, that its locks have been changed and one's possessions are all stuffed in lawn bags and piled up in the driveway. It's cold, and manifests a lack of respect for the fact that you once did have a committed relationship.

On the other hand, breaking up by e-mail or letter gives the other person an opportunity to preserve his dignity, so that his initial reaction is private and not seen by the one who is dumping him. It allows him to collect his thoughts and, if he wishes, to send a calm and meaningful response that he is not later going to regret or feel embarrassed by.

So it really depends on the personalities of the people involved. If it's likely to get very emotionally messy and degenerate into a huge, ugly fight complete with name-calling and ridiculous accusations, perhaps e-mail is the way to go. But it still shouldn't be one's first choice.
Got to agree with you about it depending...

While at first glance a dear John/Jane letter (or email) might seem cold and cowardly, I can think of times when it might be necessary. If the person being broken up with has a bad temper or is prone to histrionics a letter might be safer for the person doing the breaking up.

Also, I agree that a letter could help preserve the person's dignity initally and might be considered a kindness. Though I would also say there should be a face to face meeting after the letter to allow the person who was broken up with a chance to "have their say" and get some kind of closure.

I've said it before, it's never easy being the person who's being left.

BUT, it's also not always easy being the person doing the breaking up. When a relationship isn't working for BOTH people involved, then it's not working - no matter how much one of the two really believes in it or in what it "could be".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships