Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 12:25 PM

951 posts, read 1,810,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
You guys really know how to pick some winners.....
Most "winners" get married in their 20s and, not surprisingly, stay married.

After that, its like panning for gold, after the gold rush. There may be some nuggets left but you'll need to move a lot of boulders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 12:29 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,354,404 times
oh boy. I know what happened last time, I will tell you what happens this time if it happens.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:29 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,355,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyShouldIWorry View Post
Most "winners" get married in their 20s and, not surprisingly, stay married.

After that, its like panning for gold, after the gold rush. There may be some nuggets left but you'll need to move a lot of boulders.
I think you're right on both points

Old 07-08-2009, 12:36 PM

8,262 posts, read 18,482,904 times
She said i loved my job more than her. Yet she sure had no problem spending my fat paychecks. Sure hope that truck driver she took off with doesnt SPEND TOO MUCH TIME WORKING and makes her happy. I'm rather enjoying the attention being paid to me by the ladies now that they have found out I'm single again!!!!

Old 07-08-2009, 12:38 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,062,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
what exactly was the problem
I was not as in love with her as she was with me.

Quote:
and who decided break off the relationship?
She did.

Old 07-08-2009, 02:41 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
I have always been curious as to why relationships don't work out and I wonder if we all break up over the same things.

Sometimes I try and ask people but I'm told the same line; "well, it just did not work out, he/she was crazy... ect, ect... ...

So my question is, during your last relationship that did not work out what exactly was the problem and who decided break off the relationship?
She was a rabid environmentalist and I'm not. She couldn't accept that I wasn't willing to follow her "cause".

Old 07-08-2009, 04:37 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,059,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
If you choose to shower your SO with gifts, that is your decision. Christmas and Valentine's Day, sure. Halloween and Thanksgiving? Come on. Don't expect someone you've been with for 12 weeks to do the same (though Halloween and VD are 5 months apart, not 3). I wouldn't do it and I'd be wondering why you were. It's been my expereince that men who spend so much so soon are insecure and feel they need to buy affection.

There could have been other issues, but your approach would be a huge problem for a lot of women. Still, there's someone for everyone, I hope you find it.

Yeah I gave her gifts on Halloween and Thanksgiving because that is the kind of person I am. I like giving gifts. I don't give gifts because I'm insecure or need to buy affection. You can ask anyone I know and they would definetly tell you I don't buy affection. I'm not insecure about myself. I have high self-esteem and are a very confident and independent person.

We started going out the last week of October and ended on Presidents Day. So we were together just short of 4 months.

Their were other issues also. I felt that our relationship wasn't really going anywhere. Plus their were issues that were going on with her family that I didn't want to be involved with.

That's why I ended the relationship.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:03 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Previous to my current relationship, the most recent one ended for several reasons, including the following and probably more factors to which I was not quite as privy:

-It was an LDR with no foreseeable closing of the gap on the horizon (his choice, i.e. he wasn't that serious, wanted a GF he could hang out with occasionally, not regularly). Which is not all bad, because I'd probably be kicking myself right now HAD I moved to California.

-Unwillingness on his part to buck pressure from his foreign-born parents relating to my being caucasian and his being black...they were very vocal about how they always "saw" him ending up with another Nigerian.

-Unwillingness on his part to buck pressure from his family relating to my then being in the modestly paying field of print journalism, and his being in a higher-powered and higher-paying state government job (don't think they would have been impressed with my now-career in education, either, and definitely weren't impressed with my English degree, although it was from a superior school to their biology degree-holding son's...they were really only impressed with medicine/science and fairly disdainful of the humanities, and he was cut from much the same cloth).

-I suspect he realized that he ultimately wanted somebody a bit less opinionated. He got enough opinions from his family.

Ultimately, he wasn't that interested. Which is typically how it goes when a relationship ends. Interest doesn't outweigh the effort.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:24 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus_Antonis View Post
<cough> think I just contracted some intelliflu
That sort of reply from you is really getting old...

But seriously, I can't express enough how happiness my part time job at the university is giving me. Several times a week, I am meeting and talking with such amazing, brilliant and nice people! My mind is truly in heaven!!! I guess that you wouldn't fit in with this crowd...

J/K... but maybe not, considering your constant negative comments about my need for my s/o to be my intellectual match. And you really seemed to hit it off with that Canadian ex-stripper dancer in the Netherlands.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:53 PM

473 posts, read 760,682 times
He played in a rock band and looked the part. I fell for the image. He thought he was going to support himself playing in a cover band and didn't see the need for a job. Was content letting his parents support him. I later found he had been fired or let go from almost every job he had had. There were other issues, but the lack of maturity and responsibility was a deal breaker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships