Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 06:29 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,037,773 times

Advertisements

I have always been curious as to why relationships don't work out and I wonder if we all break up over the same things.

Sometimes I try and ask people but I'm told the same line; "well, it just did not work out, he/she was crazy... ect, ect... ...

So my question is, during your last relationship that did not work out what exactly was the problem and who decided break off the relationship?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 06:38 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,897,496 times
He had anger, rage and violence issues and poor impulse control.

I worked very hard for a period of time to elevate his self esteem to a point where he was comfortable with the idea of leaving and finally he did.

So I guess whilst the final decision to end the relationship came down to him, ultimately I know that was because I'd been encouraging him to do so for some time.

Old 07-07-2009, 06:47 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,893,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post

So my question is, during your last relationship that did not work out what exactly was the problem and who decided break off the relationship?
I took my ex for granted...live and you learn though!

Old 07-07-2009, 07:04 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,852,845 times
She dumped me. Most of her complaints were that I wasn't considerate enough of her needs. Given all that is on my plate, I doubt that I could have done more to satisfy her, but I certainly would have been open for suggestions.

When we first hooked up, she didn't want me to tell anyone about us. However, after the breakup, I did discuss this with about a dozen friends. One said I was crazy to get involved with a recently divorced woman. All the rest said that I was nuts getting involved with her, because she is a needy narcissist. In as much as I've known her for nearly 20 years, I guess that I'm just unobservant.

Anyhow, she made it easy for me. Her last complaint - like a kick in the groin - was that I was disgusting for drinking tap water. I was so stunned with this candid comment that I forgot to thank her. Usually, it takes 6 to 12 months to identify the neuroses and/or addictions that most women have and here she didn't hide it at all!

Good riddance!

Old 07-07-2009, 07:05 PM

1,629 posts, read 3,476,825 times
He decided.

He was indecisive about every aspect of his life, it was only a matter of time before he changed his mind about me.

Though it probably was sped up a bit by my distaste for his idea of a good time online with his buddies:
Posting as many half-naked photos of random women as possible, and this:
Men who use half-naked women as their avatars online

Old 07-07-2009, 07:09 PM

1,629 posts, read 3,476,825 times
Before him, I decided.

Apart from hardly ever calling me or seeing me on a weekend, it became overwhelmingly clear that I was worth nothing more to him than a call-girl would be, when we were at a mutual friend's party. We were talking with a few other folks outside, who then went inside. People were smoking inside (which wasn't even allowed in that house, as per the landlord), and when I said I didn't want to go in yet because of my asthma, he left me standing alone outside because "he was cold."

Old 07-07-2009, 07:24 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,539,444 times
I did. He was a a drama-queen, self-centered, not very bright and a complete embarassment. I saw the differences between us early on, but I didn't want to be too judgmental (and I love me some country boys). It became abundantly clear that I'd have to class and dumb down to be with him.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:29 PM

5,024 posts, read 8,891,134 times
He became validated by his family as soon as I married him (he was one of seven boys). He didn't want me to go to school. He didn't like that I could type fast and use a computer. I was told I would never have a cellphone. I was one of the few wives who worked full-time. One day I had a complete flight of fancy and wondered aloud how it would be to have one kid and stay home. He told me if I did, I'd wear glasses and double-knit stretch pants and we would go back to an apartment forever. The computer became the final bargaining chip and I left the house.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:36 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,893,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_factor View Post
He became validated by his family as soon as I married him (he was one of seven boys). He didn't want me to go to school. He didn't like that I could type fast and use a computer. I was told I would never have a cellphone. I was one of the few wives who worked full-time. One day I had a complete flight of fancy and wondered aloud how it would be to have one kid and stay home. He told me if I did, I'd wear glasses and double-knit stretch pants and we would go back to an apartment forever. The computer became the final bargaining chip and I left the house.
Wow, good thing he wasn't controlling or anything...

Old 07-07-2009, 07:36 PM

5,024 posts, read 8,891,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That-Guy View Post
Wow, good thing he wasn't controlling or anything...
Oh, not at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships