Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 04:33 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,038,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
As a single person who's never been married, I'm fascinated with how certain people find someone to marry them. Every now and then, I'll meet or just see someone and think to myself, "Why would anyone in their right mind marry you?" I don't mean this in terms of looks. Obviously, some of us aren't as hung up on looks as others are. What I'm talking about is personality. Maybe you meet a woman who's a total B or a guy who's a total A and discover they're married and you're left scratching your head as to what kind of person would want to be married to them. In this world where people constantly complain that it's hard to meet quality people, I find it ironic that some of the most unlikable people can find someone to not only date them, but actually marry them.

I would love to hear your stories.
I often wonder about my parents. My dad is such a grouch. He's always pissed off and super sarcastic and in a bad mood pretty much all the time. God forbid you disagree with him because all hell breaks loose. My mom sorta gives it right back to him now. My mom is basically a happy person and lots of fun to be around. I just don't understand how the two of them hooked up.

She tells me it hasn't always been this way - that he used to be caring and that they used to have fun together.

Both my parents are obviously older now, and they are heavier than when they first met. Dad is now almost 400 pounds. I wonder about this too. When my dad was a young man, he had an athletic build and was a very nice looking man. He literally had movie star good looks. I just don't understand how you go from movie star to almost 400 pounds. I believe a lot of his grumpiness and unhappiness comes from being overweight and barely able to walk. Yet, it's a cycle - he eats because he's depressed or unhappy, and he's unhappy because he eats. Unfortunately, neither of my parents believe my theory about depression and eating, and don't believe in seeking professional help for it.

Last edited by Twinkle Toes; 07-09-2009 at 05:24 PM.. Reason: Typos - fingers not cooperating with brain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 04:38 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,582,000 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
The guy from the dating site is still in the picture, we haven't been dating long - gotta start somewhere. But "that one Man"? Who be that?

Wasn't there a Man at or just before the one you're currently dating from the dating site?

Old 07-09-2009, 06:43 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,453,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
I often wonder about my parents. My dad is such a grouch. He's always pissed off and super sarcastic and in a bad mood pretty much all the time. God forbid you disagree with him because all hell breaks loose. My mom sorta gives it right back to him now. My mom is basically a happy person and lots of fun to be around. I just don't understand how the two of them hooked up.

She tells me it hasn't always been this way - that he used to be caring and that they used to have fun together.

Both my parents are obviously older now, and they are heavier than when they first met. Dad is now almost 400 pounds. I wonder about this too. When my dad was a young man, he had an athletic build and was a very nice looking man. He literally had movie star good looks. I just don't understand how you go from movie star to almost 400 pounds. I believe a lot of his grumpiness and unhappiness comes from being overweight and barely able to walk. Yet, it's a cycle - he eats because he's depressed or unhappy, and he's unhappy because he eats. Unfortunately, neither of my parents believe my theory about depression and eating, and don't believe in seeking professional help for it.
I remember seeing a post here (maybe in the Parenting forum) how after someone's mom died (the cheerful mom had been catering to her grouchy husband hand and foot all their lives), the father realized how precious his wife was, and became much more attentive to people around him, and even lightened up. And started regretting not appreciating his wife while there was time.

I wonder how many people are being taken for granted. Routine may make you unapreciative. Which is no excuse.

My parents are, too, a unique combination - my mother wouldn't be able to survive with anyone else than my father. A narcissist who found an adoring and forgiving and kind soul. And there lies their secret to a long-term marriage.

Old 07-09-2009, 06:47 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,038,202 times
So true, Nuala. You don't realize what you had until it's gone - like gone forever! My grandpa (my grouchy dad's dad) was a piece of work as well. When my grandma died, grandpa made comments like he wished he would have just let her have the draperies she wanted in the living room. He thought they were too much money, but now if he could have her back, he'd let her get those damn drapes. Lots of things like that. It's sad.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:10 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Imagine that, huh!

Well, you'll have to ask them...

Old 07-09-2009, 07:13 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
its one thing to get married another to stay married.
way too many divorce, how to turn your resentment into cash.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:16 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
its one thing to get married another to stay married
The thread wasn't about "staying"! Some folks have trouble getting even to the pre-divorce step.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:19 PM

647 posts, read 2,083,480 times
I guess there are a lot of factors in the why/how my wife and I hooked up. Some of them are obvious, some of them kind of more mysterious. After our first long kiss, I knew she was the one, and I still feel the same way about her.
On the surface, we were attracted to each other physically and personality-wise, then, Once we understood that we shared the same core values and convictions as time went on, we knew we were right for each other.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:08 PM

1,629 posts, read 3,477,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Someone actually married me! I'm still amazed at how our paths crossed let alone she proposed and married me. Anything is possible.
Boy, did you luck out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burb View Post
...2 years later I ran in to her at a gas station in a different state. One in a million shot. A few years later we were married.
Awesome story!

Old 07-09-2009, 11:09 PM

1,629 posts, read 3,477,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
As a single person who's never been married, I'm fascinated with how certain people find someone to marry them. Every now and then, I'll meet or just see someone and think to myself, "Why would anyone in their right mind marry you?"
I wonder the same thing every time I watch Bridezillas. *sigh*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships