Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 10:27 AM

4,837 posts, read 8,854,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Wow. These are what you consider red flags? Sounds like you generalize about people pretty easily. I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt when I meet them. Let's examine all the points you made.

1. I've met plenty of women who prefer guy friends and don't have female friends because they find them to be catty. Having seen the way some women talk trash about each other behind each other's backs, I can see why a woman might not want female friends.
2. Everyone has scars of some kind. Did it ever occur to you that some people have fully healed? Not everyone who's been abused is damaged beyond repair.
3. Guys who were always dumped. Does this automatically mean there was something wrong with the guy? No. It could mean the guy has been dating the wrong kind of girl. The same is true of the guy who always dumps the girl. Maybe by the time he's met you, he's figured out what he's been doing wrong.
4. Many guys spend their 20s focused on their careers and don't have time for serious relationships. Maybe they're a doctor who's been in residency and fellowships for 10 years. Maybe they've been working as a consultant and do a lot of traveling.
Good points. Rather than looking for "signs", that are always overlooked anyway, when the guy is hot, they need to do their homework.

One thing that women overlook is how easy it is to make discreet enquiries through male friends to get a candid appraisal of men. Many men do not like way the player and bad boy types make them all look bad and they usually have a far better knowledge of where the dirt can be uncovered.

Of course, women in lust will seldom believe good advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 10:28 AM

78 posts, read 227,834 times
This is a fun and interesting post and one is tempted to immediately "pile on" but I find it interesting that these all indicate what's wrong with the other person. How many red flags are coming up for others with you (meaning any of us)? What is it about you that attracts people with these attributes or brings them out in people? Remember (especially where you see a pattern of these "red flags" with different individuals) that the only common denominator is you. What do you bring to the table when a new opportunity presents itself? A great inviting attitude, open mindedness, support? Or caution, cynicism, judgment and waiting for the other shoe to drop among other things. I'm not directing this to any individual here and while this may not be the most popular opinion in this thread, it's something to think about nonetheless - again especially where there are patterns.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:51 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
I don't think I could come up with a comprehensive list of red flags. There are just too many of them.

The ones that bother me the most, personally, that I seem to run into -

People who are "looking to avoid drama." This is code-language for: "I am unable to function without drama"
Taking problems out on me is a red flag.
Literal belief in the ritualistic aspect of religion is a red flag.
A lack of education is a red flag.
A lack of natural curiousity is a red flag
A preoccupation with the wedding ceremony, but lackluster interest in the long-term marriage is a red flag
Debt is a red flag
Flattery or submissiveness to wealth, fame or power is a HUGE red flag
Adherence to socially or culturally-driven distinctions - like the one between "medicine" and "drugs" - is a minor red flag. I think these people look for happiness in social acceptance. I like people who show the ability to arrive at their own opinions.

On the other hand, I can tolerate an awful lot of stuff that seems to drive other guys away. Go figure.

Last edited by le roi; 07-14-2009 at 11:02 AM..

Old 07-14-2009, 11:00 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,639,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotARedneck View Post
One thing that women overlook is how easy it is to make discreet enquiries through male friends to get a candid appraisal of men. Many men do not like way the player and bad boy types make them all look bad and they usually have a far better knowledge of where the dirt can be uncovered.
I've seen very few women do this kind of homework. Us guys know who the players are and just roll our eyes when we see women go for them. Sooner or later, she gets hurt and wonders why she didn't realize sooner what kind of guy he was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlene09 View Post
Remember (especially where you see a pattern of these "red flags" with different individuals) that the only common denominator is you. What do you bring to the table when a new opportunity presents itself? A great inviting attitude, open mindedness, support? Or caution, cynicism, judgment and waiting for the other shoe to drop among other things.
I agree. People are quick to blame others for their relationship failures and bad track record. But if you keep ending up with the wrong people, maybe it's time to look at what you're doing wrong instead of finding fault in others.

Old 07-14-2009, 12:45 PM

491 posts, read 1,045,730 times
Quote:
This is a fun and interesting post and one is tempted to immediately "pile on" but I find it interesting that these all indicate what's wrong with the other person. How many red flags are coming up for others with you (meaning any of us)? What is it about you that attracts people with these attributes or brings them out in people? Remember (especially where you see a pattern of these "red flags" with different individuals) that the only common denominator is you. What do you bring to the table when a new opportunity presents itself? A great inviting attitude, open mindedness, support? Or caution, cynicism, judgment and waiting for the other shoe to drop among other things. I'm not directing this to any individual here and while this may not be the most popular opinion in this thread, it's something to think about nonetheless - again especially where there are patterns.
My red flag to someone else might be the fact that I am a single mom. They don't wanna mess with baby daddy drama (luckily my ex and I have a great parentship) or they dont wanna become a step-dad (which I am not looking to pawn my kid off on the next guy who shows interest in me). But they wouldn't know these things unless they get to know me. And if my single motherhood is a red flag for them, we won't even get that far! And that's fine with me. I wouldn't want to date a person who isn't willing to accept my son. But it's their perogative. No hard feelings.

Old 07-14-2009, 01:43 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I think very few people are interested in such books early in life or if their lives are going well. It's usually a major train wreck that paves the road to them. Their audience is not particularly dumb, either. A little awareness hasn't killed anybody so far, cpg. It tends to go hand in hand with some humility as well, which is not a horrible trait.

Now, there is plenty of trash available who hasn't opened a book in her life and is perfectly content with the way she and her worthless life are. If that's what you like better, more power to you. I'm talking about a woman because even though you were careful enough to use the word "person," we all know hardly any male "persons" read such books.
Oh, I'm not referring to having a copy of "Please Understand Me" on their bookshelves. I'm talking about anybody who has boxes of these books, people whose language is permeated with its vocabulary. People who toss around phrases such as "you're projecting" or "I'm in a good place right now," for they are typically dealing with serious problems deep down, no matter how calm the surface might be.

Old 07-14-2009, 01:44 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJsMOM83 View Post
My red flag to someone else might be the fact that I am a single mom. They don't wanna mess with baby daddy drama (luckily my ex and I have a great parentship) or they dont wanna become a step-dad (which I am not looking to pawn my kid off on the next guy who shows interest in me). But they wouldn't know these things unless they get to know me. And if my single motherhood is a red flag for them, we won't even get that far! And that's fine with me. I wouldn't want to date a person who isn't willing to accept my son. But it's their perogative. No hard feelings.
See, I think that's more of a situational issue based on the man's current state of mind, rather than a personality problem that would make just about any relationship hellish. I think that's really what we're really trying to define here.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:26 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,854,584 times
Quote:
You make a very valid point.

The biggest red flag is they prepare a "must have" list and start with the superficial things. If they look too good to be true, they probably are.

Its difficult to be objective when you are in lust. It is easy to rationalize away your doubts instead.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:30 PM

573 posts, read 1,689,763 times
Momma's boys and alcoholics are my red flags. Especially if they are both at once.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:16 PM

2,035 posts, read 5,035,177 times
Guess i need to tell mama to stop making beer runs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships