Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 01:34 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times

Advertisements

What would have been wrong with being upfront with future plans? What would have been wrong with letting her decide for herself what she wants? Is there any sort of time frame for plans to move?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 01:36 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
So why she (the Irish lass) wouldn't join him in his homeland, then? If she loves him so much?
She would probably want to, he was the one who said it wouldn't work for her to do so. I'm guessing he's talking about Iraq or some other muslim country.

Old 07-12-2009, 01:40 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,453,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
She would probably want to, he was the one who said it wouldn't work for her to do so. I'm guessing he's talking about Iraq or some other muslim country.
It seems she doesn't want to:

During that time I came to the conclusion that I someday want to return to the land of my birth within the next 10 years.

I was determined to inform Anne of my decision the day I was to see her.

The next morning I told her of my plans. She cried, was lost for words, and was saddened before finally asking me to leave.

Old 07-12-2009, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
It seems she doesn't want to:

During that time I came to the conclusion that I someday want to return to the land of my birth within the next 10 years.

I was determined to inform Anne of my decision the day I was to see her.

The next morning I told her of my plans. She cried, was lost for words, and was saddened before finally asking me to leave.

I took what he said to mean she knows he plans to go without her - his choice, not necessarily hers.

Old 07-12-2009, 01:45 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,453,396 times
Quote:
I took what he said to mean she knows he plans to go without her - his choice, not necessarily hers.
Oh. You may be right. It can go either way - we need clarification from the OP.

Old 07-12-2009, 02:02 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
I am not about to divulge the most personal parts of my life on a message board, so I you will just take my words at face value - I have experience with this subject. And yes, I can tell you without a single doubt that I would, and have, done whatever I have had to to be with my husband - though so far, wearing a burka has not been required
Thank you. Moving from a more desirable to a less desirable state hardly qualifies.

Old 07-12-2009, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Thank you. Moving from a more desirable to a less desirable state hardly qualifies.
I wasn't talking about travel between states in this country

Though on that note, I AM having to leave my beloved NC to live in New York for a few years for his job shortly. This may not seem a hardship but the fact that my kids will be here and I'll be stuck up there in all that snow - well, let's just say I cried for a week. Still, there was never any question that I would go

Old 07-12-2009, 02:19 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,666,259 times
Have you bothered to sit her down, tell her what you want, and ask her if she would be interested? Or...Are you automatically assuming that she does not want to go? Why not give her that choice? Let her make this final decision.

Old 07-12-2009, 04:18 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,546,473 times
Quote:
Sierra, I speak from experience so it is not hypothetical. When you truly love someone you will go wherever you have to go to be with them.
You would also let them go if it was the best thing for them.

I do wonder, OP, if she would be willing to go with you and if you'd want her to.

Old 07-13-2009, 01:18 AM

3,562 posts, read 4,395,705 times
I thank you all for contributing your POV's. I'd like to make an attempt at responding to some of the questions several of you have raised.

Lovesmountains is absolutely right! I love my birthplace. I do not love Anne. I have a deep emotional connection with her. The connection is so deep that I care for Anne and have her best interest at heart. For this reason I had determined to tell her about my decision immediately. Had I not cared about her, I would have strung her along for as long as possible. I could've taken advantage of her emotions for as long as I pleased. Conversely, I chose what was best for her at the cost of our relationship.

Although we both have children of our own, Anne and I are slightly beyond child bearing years. Mine are adults. Her's are relatively young. Her children will inevitably force her to stay put for many years to come.

I am not from a Muslim nation or Somalia. However, where I'm from, a monolingual person - as in Anne's case - will be hard pressed to fit in. She would be the oddball out in most any gathering. That wouldn't be fair to her.

Finally, one of the opinions posted in this thread severely over-simplifies the concept of love. The opinion went something like this..."Oh, I will live with my man even if it's in a cave as long as he loves me." I sorely beg to differ. The issue of practicality has much a place in business and work as it does in relationships and love. It is too easy to say... "I will live in a cave, as long as there is love(?)" Really now? I haven't met a woman yet who has knowingly married a man whom would surely reduce her quality of life right from the start. That is impractical, unreasonable and destined for failure. That infamous Hollywood cliche which says..."and they lived happily ever after" is probably the biggest reason why so many marriages fail in the USA. IMHO, way too many people in the US enter marriage thinking that it is suppose to be a flawless institution marked by bliss, joy, and a daily dose of nuance. It's stunning to meet people (mostly women) who sincerely believe they are entitled to such unreasonable expectations.

Again, thanks for your input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships