Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 08:22 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,640,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_factor View Post
I would expect a man to tell me if he lived at home with his mother once he says "Hello" to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 08:25 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,755,219 times
Funny...I think many of you mentioned the other day about a woman should not introduce a child to a potential date or date early on?
Maybe she was being cautious?

Kinda sad you would just turn your nose up to a date just because she has a child.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:27 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,361,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Funny...I think many of you mentioned the other day about a woman should not introduce a child to a potential date or date early on?

Kinda sad you would just turn your nose up to a date just because she has a child.
I don't think because she had a child he turned his nose up, but because she didn't mention it during their first conversation. I agree with the OP, this is not something to be brought up AFTER the numbers are exchanged.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:28 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,501,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
No - WAIT!!!!!
What the hell is that smell? :sniffs: it's coming through my screen you really should see a doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonaLisaVito View Post
Ok, I'll let the men know ASAP, if I'm ever single again.

However, that doesn't stop loads of them from hitting on me and asking me out all the time while my children are within plain sight (and my wedding ring).
That's because they want to do you. I don't think they need to know you have kids or that you are married unless they are going to be viewing.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:30 PM

2,191 posts, read 4,799,315 times
I think there are a lot of issues that should be brought to the other person's attention fairly early on, but its within each person's own judgement on when its a good idea to bring it up. For example I wouldnt go up to a girl in the checkout aisle and throw down a box of magnum condoms on the conveyer belt and wink (I've had a friend who did this, LMAO!!). How and when do you bring up other issues like alcoholism, molestation as a child, you cant have kids, large tattoos that are hidden, you're an atheist, anxiety issues, etc... The list goes on and on, its really a judgement call on when its appropriate, and of course taking into consideration due timing on feeling the other person out.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:42 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,587,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
How about frequent bouts of diarreah or gas? Be up front on first date?
Nah, wait until the middle of sex for that

Old 07-15-2009, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Cause you r hot! :-)

I agree, sometimes children are not an obstacle for certain men...therefore I advice all single women with children to be upfront that they are moms.
Max's Mama, where have u been, I haven't seen u on here in ages! How are you hot mama?

Old 07-15-2009, 08:44 PM

15,639 posts, read 40,983,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonaLisaVito View Post
Nah, wait until the middle of sex for that
Well, yes - that's the way it should be ... DUH!

But I just thought some of the more sensitive men might want to know up front.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post

I agree that women AND MEN should be upfront about being parents to a potential partner, but for god's sakes I think a second phone conversation is an ok time to bring it up.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:48 PM

5,789 posts, read 3,585,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy
Please be upfront that you are a MOM when you talk to a guy for the first time because if not he may suddenly lose interest. I got a reply from this pretty girl the other night and she waited until the second phone conversation to tell me she had a son.
YES DEFINITELY! You never know if the guy you're gonna meet is committed childfree. The older the bachelor, the more likely he is to be committed childfree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy
She was no longer attractive to me and I felt no need to talk because that's something you mention very early in the first conversation. I don't need to know your child's name or what school they go to but I do need to know you are a single parent which gives me the option of getting to know you or not taking it further. Hiding it makes it worse
It wouldn't surprise me if she schemed to sink her claws into your heart, THEN spring the news onto you - namely so she could find an extra wallet to support her kid. I'm not saying it IS true, just that I wouldn't be surprised if she merely overestimated how well you two hit it off.

STILL (no attack on you, TV, but), it's also the responsibility the man to let his friends and the women around him know whether he wants kids or not. I certainly do not, and I don't exactly keep it a secret. In fact, I tell people straight out in plain English that "I'm tempramentally unfit to be a father". That usually stops any prospect of being asked out right then and there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkie Toes
Does the same go for herpes, AIDS and other STD's? Should you tell in the first convo or wait until later?
ONLY if she's showing serious interest in me. Speaking of which, this is yet another reason why I'm not just committed child-free but also committed wife-free. Too many women out there did the bar and party scene in their youth (and MEN, too). As much sleeping around as they do with multiple partners AND as many people as did it in their youth, partiers are fairly likely to have gotten a permanent STD or two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships