Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 10:40 AM

12,626 posts, read 31,927,209 times

Advertisements

My DH takes everything the wrong way. If I give a suggestion or tell him how I feel, he says that I make him feel like crap. I'll give a couple examples. If he does something wrong, I want to let him know how it makes me feel. He turns it around and says you make me feel like crap and depressed. Therfore, it feels like I can't express myself or I make him feel like crap. Another example is when he's doing some type of job, I give a suggestion like maybe a better idea would be to do it this way. He turns it around to think I'm questioning him about his work and I'm insinuating he doesn't know what he's doing. It drives me nuts b/c honestly I do not mean it that way. Too me, he has low self esteem and that causes him to feel that way. I've talked to him about it before and nothing changes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2009, 11:24 AM

18,432 posts, read 34,241,273 times
Are you with my SO?

Old 07-18-2009, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
Are you with my SO?
LOL He swears I'm always putting him down. I swear I'm not, I'm really not!

Old 07-18-2009, 11:57 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,334,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
My DH takes everything the wrong way. If I give a suggestion or tell him how I feel, he says that I make him feel like crap. I'll give a couple examples. If he does something wrong, I want to let him know how it makes me feel. He turns it around and says you make me feel like crap and depressed. Therfore, it feels like I can't express myself or I make him feel like crap. Another example is when he's doing some type of job, I give a suggestion like maybe a better idea would be to do it this way. He turns it around to think I'm questioning him about his work and I'm insinuating he doesn't know what he's doing. It drives me nuts b/c honestly I do not mean it that way. Too me, he has low self esteem and that causes him to feel that way. I've talked to him about it before and nothing changes.
unless there's more to this than you're saying, I'm on his side with this...

first, how do you think anyone would feel, to frequently be criticized and "corrected"?

but even more important, what's your definition of what is 'wrong' and what is a 'better idea'-- the key word there being 'your'...

the words that came to mind when I read the post were:
self-centered
immature
control-freak

Old 07-18-2009, 12:08 PM

751 posts, read 1,669,493 times
Quote:

I never give any suggestions to my boyfriend regarding anything he says or does unless he asks me,otherwise I just keep my opinions to myself.

There's always three sides to every story.Her's,His and theirs.

Old 07-18-2009, 12:10 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,172,502 times
I don't think any person likes to be told how to do something if that person thinks they know a better way then I would tell them to do it instead of telling me how they would do it.

Old 07-18-2009, 12:27 PM

10,196 posts, read 17,755,478 times
Sorry but you sound a little critical and controlling.

Old 07-18-2009, 04:08 PM

I thought relationships are supposed to be about communication. As long as what you are saying is not criticizing, I think your SO should be open to listen. At that point, it's up to your SO to decide if they will take your opinion into consideration or not. All I'm saying is just hear me out, I would do it for him no problem. I don't think you should keep you feelings bottled up. I have a feeling that several of these responses are from men.

Old 07-18-2009, 04:55 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,424,066 times
Quote:
I thought relationships are supposed to be about communication. As long as what you are saying is not criticizing, I think your SO should be open to listen. At that point, it's up to your SO to decide if they will take your opinion into consideration or not.
I think it depends on quantity. If you tell him this once in a blue moon, that's OK. If it's on everyday basis, that would drive any person to the ground.

It took me time, too, to realize this (because of course I know better than him ) but you just have to let a person live his life and make his own mistakes. And, most importantly, to praise him for things that he did well and wise decisions. This would be called "giving him wings", as opposite to "clipping wings" with nagging and criticizing.

Old 07-18-2009, 05:06 PM

2,163 posts, read 4,330,753 times
If I've learned anything about men over the years it's that they don't like to be told how to do something.

You can tell them what you want done, but then it's up to him to get it done however he wants to. If he screws it up, then let him screw it up. If you think there's a better way, do it yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships